Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc

Our Shaw Customer Service - Good and Bad - Post Comments Here thread has gotten out of hand. Very little Good, lots of rants that are off-topic so a new thread has been created to allow folks to rant about Shaw.

Now, c'mon get it off your chest.

If you have a problem with Shaw, then lets hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

From our rules
Quote:
Annoying posts & Trolling – Annoying posts such as those consisting of all uppercase letters or containing an excessive number or smilies, icons, oversized fonts, excessive quoting will be subject to deletion without warning.
I have deleted several posts. This is a rant thread but that is no excuse for use of oversized fonts or other juvenile behaviour and posts.

In future, such behaviour will be considered trolling and infractions issued.
post #3 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-07-26, 06:36 PM

We're moving on Thursday and were having our new HD PVR delivered today...I was told I couldn't make an appointment for our new place until our new PVR was delivered because each account can only have 1 work order at a time.

So I get my new unit and call today only to find out there's a month wait to get a technician out to White Rock, and to make it worse I need to take a half-day off.

Definitely not impressed.

Vizio SV470, Sony DAV-C450, PS3 x3 , Shaw Gateway + 2 Portals, Harmony 880 + One
post #4 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-12, 09:41 PM

Question

The other day, I called Shaw to come out and fix my cable TV because I think it had a bad splitter on it and they said no, can anyone explain why they would do that?
post #5 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-13, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi32tgilkg View Post
The other day, I called Shaw to come out and fix my cable TV because I think it had a bad splitter on it and they said no, can anyone explain why they would do that?
That's weird. I had the same problem a month or two ago and they booked an appointment right away. They also said if I wanted to do it myself I could go to their office and pick up a new splitter myself. I did that and it fixed the problem so I cancelled the appointment.
post #6 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-13, 02:53 PM

Thanks mudmonkey, I went and got a splitter and hooked it up, and it's all fixed now!

Last edited by gi32tgilkg; 2009-08-13 at 06:08 PM.
post #7 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-14, 01:53 PM

No problem.
post #8 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 03:03 PM

TV/Internet/Phone $30 per month for select customers only

So a neighbor brought a Shaw flyer in to work today. Shaw will give them Full HD TV, high speed internet access, and digital phone for $10 each per month, total $30 per month for a year, and the first 2 months for free. They also get 2 HD PVR rentals free.

So I called the number on the flyer and they said it is only meant for Novus customers. They won't give me any sort of deal at all.

Grrrrrrr. I'm going to switch everything to Telus and tell Shaw this is why. Shaw has lost me forever.

Shaw supporters please do not reply, this is a rant not an invitation to a discussion.
post #9 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 03:26 PM

those flyers were distributed by Novus to look like it was an offer from Shaw. I got one on my car last saturday while I was out shopping. It said in small print at the bottom "information provided by Novus" or something similar.
post #10 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 11:27 PM

The flyer I saw had Shaw's name and logo on it, and did not mention Novus. I doubt very much that Novus would print a flyer with Shaw's logo on it.
post #11 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 10:25 AM

the flyer I got did not have a shaw logo, but the fonts used looked like the shaw ads I have seen.
post #12 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 11:07 AM

Novus has marketed the Shaw offer and encouraged people to call in. They've done this for two reasons: 1) they believe Shaw will lose money on the transaction and will tire of offering loss leaders to Novus customers; and 2) they know that customers who are ineligible for Shaw's offer will call and be disappointed.

Novus has been quite public about doing this. However, the tactics they originally employed were all electronic. I have not heard of them doing paper flyers as well, but if it's absent Shaw logos, it does fit what Novus is doing on other fronts. If the flyer has a Shaw logo, one can assume it came from Shaw because I am not sure that it wouldn't land someone in a nice little legal mess if they were misusing Shaw's logo in this fashion.
post #13 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 12:13 PM

I was bitter about Shaw charging $200 more for my PVR than other cable providers (mostly in the east) like Cogego or Rogers, but I got a refurb and have been happy.

Honestly, I have been a Shaw customer for 15 years and find their service to be great...while the channel selection is not the best in the industry, they do fine by me.

Oh, and I have friends that had Telus TV, work for Telus and switched to Bell because of quality, selection and lack of bandwidth to support multiple PVR units.

JVC 61FC97 tv, Pioneer VSX1015 amp, Panasonic S-77 dvd, (shaw)Motorola 6412-III, Axiom M22v2, Axiom QS8's, HSU STF-3 sub
post #14 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 11:13 PM

They don't care if you leave

Shaw is not into customer service or customer satisfaction. They changed their hours to close at 8 PM.

Many friends and collegues are able to get HDTV and digital cable channels for 6 months or more without additional charge even though we have the same service.

Shaw's refer a friend program is a farce. In my case, I referred my sister. Just like I referred her for the internet many years ago. When SHE called them, she gave them my info. When I called Shaw about the referral, they looked up her account and gave me the referral.

However, this time, they voided the referral because she ordered Shaw Digital phone herself and was not approached by a Shaw telemarketing rep.

When I called Shaw to explain my frustration with them, they asked me if I wanted to cancel. I said, I am seriously thinking about it and going with Telus. The rep then went and said, "it'll take a moment and I'll cancel your digital service right away and next week, we'll send a tech over to disconnect your service". I then replied, "wait a minute, not just yet. I'm going to check with the wife and call you back".
post #15 of 1340 (permalink) Old 2009-09-12, 01:43 AM

Location: Shaw employee. My thoughts are my own and not my employers.
Customer service is 24/7/365.

If you are talking about office hours, please tell me where the demand is that people are paying there bills in a office at midnight enough to warrant the expenses of keeping a office open.

If you are talking about house calls, I highly doubt there is a massive demand for this. How many other companies make house calls 24/7? The gas company is all I can think of, and that's only for life and death emergencies.

Get real.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.