Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 12:11 AM

Ya I know exactly what you're saying. There will be no CableCard in Canada ever and right now with the digital transition only starting to become a twinkle in this country's eye we won't see anything spectacular for a while. \

At least the US is pushing us already, especially with online content and providers.

But you're correct, right now all we can do is exploit the small holes provided to us until a "real" solution comes along. The HD-PVR fills this need right now they only way I can see it. I would think more people would be buying this thing just because I see no other alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Unfortunately I don't really see any solution coming along that is any better than an HD-PVR. Anything in the future will likely have much more DRM that what you have today with files from the HD-PVR. And online content has its benefits but in that model you much less control over content than when it is in a file on your hard drive without any DRM.

So I am enjoying being able to record whatever I want to my two HD-PVRs and I just keep my fingers crossed that Rogers does not disable the component outputs on the cable boxes.
post #78 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 01:36 PM

How are you using the HD-PVR's to record? What software are you using? I just scheduled a bunch of recordings through Media Center so I'll wait to see how that goes. I've been noticing the IR blaster doesn't work perfectly, sometimes a number will get missed in the string. I guess I just need to tweak the timing more until I can get it to work 100% of the time.

post #79 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 01:45 PM
Veteran

I use the HD-PVRs with SageTV. For channel changing I use firewire - both HD-PVRs are connected to Rogers SA3250HD boxes. I also use a USB-UIRT to change channels on other devices - that device seems much more reliable than the HD-PVR blaster which can only control one box - I think that is the case even if you have multiple HD-PVRs.
post #80 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't really see any solution coming along that is any better than an HD-PVR.
The Nextcom R5000-HD is a potentially better solution.
post #81 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 03:37 PM

Very cool. I wasn't ready to take the jump to SageTV because with my two Xbox 360's I didn't want to have to buy the Sage Extenders as well or repurpose older PC's.

Also, because my cable box is actually an old Comcast one the firewire ports aren't operational so I can't connect it directly to my PC.
post #82 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 04:12 PM
Veteran

The Nextcom is a good option. The only downside is that you tie yourself into a provider, unless you want to spend several hundred $$ to switch. It also only works if you are on sat rather than cable, at least not for Rogers Cable in Ontario.
post #83 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-03, 01:04 AM
Veteran

The HD-PVR does have the advantage of being fairly hardware neutral. I also have a Bell 6000 with the 169time adapter. That will become unusable soon due to new technology. The HD-PVR will still keep working.
post #84 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 05:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks for everyone's input...as a noob...just trying to figure it all out.

Heading down to States and can pick up Hauppauge HD PVR and SageTV's HD200 (HD Theatre).

Currently have a SA8300HD, one HD TV plus several computers. Want to be able to transfer previously recorded HD programming to HD PVR plus play .iso backups of DVDs. Playback would be on the HDTV and some of the computers.

If I have this straight, the Hauppauge HD PVR (as distinguished from the SA 8300HD PVR) is the vehicle that allows me to either transfer from the SA8300 or record directly to an attached computer. Apart from my previously recorded programs, it would seem best to record directly to computer via the Hauppauge HD PVR and thus avoid having to record to SA8300 AND then transfer through the HD PVR (both in real time).

The SageTV HD200 then allows me to play these recorded programs (plus the DVD .iso files).

I would gather the HD200 would be directly connected to the HD TV. Doesn't all of this get rather bulky where one is watching TV. You have the HD200, the Hauppage HDPVR, the SA8300HD, a computer, and a large capacity hard drive?

If I want to watch recorded TV programs on other computers, do I need another extender? I know the .iso files can be viewed via networked hard drives without any additional hardware. How about the Hauppauge HDPVR recorded programs. My old Hauppauge WinTV currently records files as .mpg files and can also be viewed via other computers through the network.

My apologies for the noob question? Main thing is what I need to purchase when I head down to the US in 4 weeks: 1) Hauppauge HD PVR 2) SageTV HD200 - how many of these? one for HD TV...any for computers (wouldn't think so).

And of course, just to make sure...all of this works with the Rogers digital setup?

Thanks in advance!
post #85 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Generally you would not have the HD200 and the PC connected up to the same TV so it is not as cluttered as you would think. A PC can play back the files via your network, either recorded TV programs or others.

Many people will have the HD-PVR and cable box connected to a server that is not really connected to a TV - it acts as a PVR plus a media server. You would then have several HD200s around your house at all of the TVs and you really don't need any other sources at your TV.

Here is a writeup on my system that was posted on the Geektonic blog - this may help clarify things somewhat http://www.geektonic.com/2009/04/med...-setup-by.html
post #86 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 09:30 AM
Rookie

Thanks, Wayne...

That helps clarify things...particularly your link to Geektonics.

I think my next step will be to purchase the Hauppauge HD PVR and the SageTV HD200...I would assume this also means purchasing the SageTV software.

From other posts I've read in this forum, it doesn't sound like Placeshifter can handle the HD content yet. Is that just a license that one purchases online (i.e. no hardware)? Do they just mail you a license code or allow you to download the software? In other words, when I head down to the states, it won't matter that I don't pick up Placeshifter at that time.

Apart from the HD issue with Placeshifter, what exactly does it do? It seems as if serves as a wireless hub from which recorded content can be viewed in a wifi environment. What does it do with respect to viewing via the internet? Does one in essence view one's own streamed content? Finally (re: Placeshifter), does one need it, if the computers in our network are already connected through the ethernet cables?

With respect to your set-up, you have three cable boxes. Why is that? Are you able to split your signal and pick up three recordings at the same time? Does that splitting cause any degradation in the quality of the signal?

You also describe in your set-up (the picture of your main HT set-up) that you have a cable box PVR and the extender. Is this so you (or your wife) can watch live TV. I suppose I am also answering part of my previous question in that you would require a separate cable box to attach to the Hauppauge HD PVR (in your server room).

I would also assume that your extenders and computer have to be connected through your home network. It doesn't sound as if the wireless capability is there yet. When we built our place, we installed network cabling throughout, except for where our HD TV is. I'll have to take care of that.

One last question (for now...and thank you for taking the time to describe all of this...very much appreciated). Does the extender have access to all of your drives? That is, I would gather it's attached through the LAN connection to your server. Therefore, the SageTV software has the ability to read multiple drives?

Thanks for your great input! I will probably have more questions once I purchase the hardware.
post #87 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbug2010 View Post
I think my next step will be to purchase the Hauppauge HD PVR and the SageTV HD200...I would assume this also means purchasing the SageTV software.
You can download a fully functional trial version from Sage's website that works for about 3 weeks.

Quote:
From other posts I've read in this forum, it doesn't sound like Placeshifter can handle the HD content yet. Is that just a license that one purchases online (i.e. no hardware)? Do they just mail you a license code or allow you to download the software? In other words, when I head down to the states, it won't matter that I don't pick up Placeshifter at that time.
Yes for PlaceShifter, and even for the full software, they just email you the license code. Some people say they have Placeshfiter working for 720p content but not for 1080i content. You can set up your cable box to force it to output 720p and then it may work better, at least for now. But I am not sure if that is over a LAN or over the internet. Over the net you would have more issues as you have to transcode the bitrate down to your upload speed which is generally less than 1 Mb/s. If you are just looking to use Sage at another PC there is also Sage Client which allows you to play back all of the content from a separate PC.

Quote:
Apart from the HD issue with Placeshifter, what exactly does it do? It seems as if serves as a wireless hub from which recorded content can be viewed in a wifi environment. What does it do with respect to viewing via the internet? Does one in essence view one's own streamed content? Finally (re: Placeshifter), does one need it, if the computers in our network are already connected through the ethernet cables?
Placeshifter allows you to do almost everything you can do from in front of your Sage PC over your LAN or over the net. If you are familiar with Slingbox - this is kind of what it does allowing you to play videos, live TV or music over a network. It works best on your LAN but also works over the net. Placeshifter also allows you to do things like scheduling recordings so if you forgot to schedule a show and you are at work you can log in from work and do the scheduling. Or you can even log in from work and watch TV - just don't let your IT dept know! Placeshifter has a fairly light footprint and it can run from a memory stick which means that you could even use it from a internet cafe PC.

It will work via wireless but getting HD to stream over wireless is very finicky. Although 802.11g is rated at 54Mbps the actual throughput you get is WAY less. If you have wireless N equipment it might work or you could look at other options like powerline ethernet adapters or ethernet over coax, which is what I am using for my bedroom.

Quote:
With respect to your set-up, you have three cable boxes. Why is that? Are you able to split your signal and pick up three recordings at the same time? Does that splitting cause any degradation in the quality of the signal?
Yes I am just using a splitter 1:4 from Home Depot and I have no issues with quality. Since the signal is digital you don't have to worry about noise - with digital you get the signal or you don't. I can record three shows at once - two HD shows since I have two HD-PVRs and one SD show. I also have an OTA tuner so I can also record OTA HD at the same time as well.

Quote:
You also describe in your set-up (the picture of your main HT set-up) that you have a cable box PVR and the extender. Is this so you (or your wife) can watch live TV. I suppose I am also answering part of my previous question in that you would require a separate cable box to attach to the Hauppauge HD PVR (in your server room).
Yes the PVR box is so that my wife can watch live TV - I rarely do. It is also a backup if I really want to make sure I record something I can also record it on this box. But I bought the box years ago and I may as well use it. I do have separate HD boxes connected to my PC in my "server room" - these boxes are SA3250HD which you can now get for about $99 on sale, at least you could at boxing day.

Quote:
I would also assume that your extenders and computer have to be connected through your home network. It doesn't sound as if the wireless capability is there yet. When we built our place, we installed network cabling throughout, except for where our HD TV is. I'll have to take care of that.
See my comment on wireless above. This isn't just a Sage issue, it is a broader issue that HD video and wireless don't mix well. I would strongly suggest that you run ethernet cabling to your HD.

Quote:
One last question (for now...and thank you for taking the time to describe all of this...very much appreciated). Does the extender have access to all of your drives? That is, I would gather it's attached through the LAN connection to your server. Therefore, the SageTV software has the ability to read multiple drives?
The extender can have access to all of your drives. My server that you see in the photos (not the one by the TV) is running Windows Home Server and is the repository for all of my data files - videos, TV, music, photos, other types of files, etc. so I only have to map it to this PC. But you can tell Sage what drives have videos, what drives have music, etc. As long as the drive is shared over your network these drives do not have to be on the same PC that Sage is running on and you can map to mulitple drives. You can use UNC mapping (i.e. \\server\videos) or drive letter mapping for networked drives. This setup is generally the same for all of your Sage PCs/extenders, etc. I have only been using the extenders as Sage extenders. They can also be used in media extender mode where you don't have to have a Sage PC running - you just map the extender to shared drives on your LAN.
post #88 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-06, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks very much, Wayne...very helpful advice.
post #89 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 11:28 AM
Rookie

PC System Requirements

Thanks for all the info Wayne!

A couple of questions.

1) Assuming I have NO INTENTION of playback on a PC (will buy the HD-200), do you know if the HD-PVR still requires a Dual Core CPU to just do recordings? I have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 1 Gb Ram and IDE HDD's. Do you know if that would work? Will it work on a Windows Server 2003 member server?

2) Assuming (since I am "thrifty") that I buy only ONE Rogers box and put it in my server room (different floor than HD TV) and connect it to the HD-PVR. To view LIVE TV to the other floor where the TV and HD-200 are, would I need to run component cables from the HD-PVR passthrough component out and pull cables through the wall (NOT really and option) OR could I just view it through the HD-200 over ethernet? i.e "watch without recording" through the HD-200.

Channel changing from the TV room would be a separate "challenge" that I am sure can be sorted out somehow.

Thanks
post #90 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 12:23 PM

for point 2, yes you feed Ethernet from your PC to the 200, then either HDMI or component to your TV.
Channel changing can be done either firewire or IR blaster,...I am still working out the firewire changing thing.

FM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.