Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 01:58 PM

Hauppauge HD PVR -Newbie

Hi guys! Thank you very much for the quick replies/help with my questions. Unfortunately I am from the earlier generation that did record from LP's - hahahaha.

Is there a minimum hardware requirement with either method? the Hauppauge site calls out the following:
System Requirements

* Processor Requirements (minimum):
Dual core CPU
* Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
Note: the playback of high definition H.264 requires a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory
* Sound card

If I was to just record onto the PC but not playback on PC why would I need the 256mb video card? If I was to go with the hauppauge i would like to offload recordings onto the pc and create an AVCHD file, burn this onto a DVD that is readable on a BLuRay player as 720p content.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 05:20 PM

Hauppauge HD PVR Connections

I tried to use the firewire process for offloading from a 8300 PVR but my 8300 kept crashing/rebooting so I gave up on this. My main use of this unit will be to offload recorded programs. From what I have read my application would require me to connect component cables from the 8300 to the HDPVR, and I am supposing a HDMI cable from the 8300 to the tv so that I can see the recording that I want moved over to the Hauppauge. Is this correct? Can the 8300 support dual outputs?

thanks
Bob
post #63 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 05:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The 8300HD cannot support HDMI and CV simultaneously.

8300HD -Does it allow Component and HDMI output to 2 HDTVs at the same time? (No)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #64 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 07:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb View Post
I tried to use the firewire process for offloading from a 8300 PVR but my 8300 kept crashing/rebooting so I gave up on this. My main use of this unit will be to offload recorded programs. From what I have read my application would require me to connect component cables from the 8300 to the HDPVR, and I am supposing a HDMI cable from the 8300 to the tv so that I can see the recording that I want moved over to the Hauppauge. Is this correct? Can the 8300 support dual outputs?
As 57 said the 8300 only supports either the HDMI or component. The way to connect the HD-PVR is to connect the component outputs from your 8300 to the HD-PVR component input and then connect the HD-PVR component output to your TV (or receiver). There really is very little, if any, picture quality difference between component and HDMI. That way you don't have to be screwing around with cables.

I can understand the desire to offload previously required programs, but using the HD-PVR in this way is kind of like using a Lada to tow a BMW! Any PC based PVR software is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the 8300 that it is ridiculous. Since it sounds like you are buying (or have bought) the HD-PVR then you have gone through the big expense. Download Sage (there is a 21 day free trial) and try it out. The UI is about 5 generations beyond what you will find on the 8300. And if you don't like Sage there is BeyondTV, GBPVR, MythTV, etc.

The only problem will be if you are trying to watch live TV when the Sage/HD-PVR is trying to record a program. But you may like it so much that you may buy a non-PVR HD box and use your PC as a PVR.
post #65 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-01-08, 04:30 PM

Question , in setting up the HD PVR to use with Sage can I output the HDMI from the PC to the TV, I don't want to snake componet cables trough the wall if I can avoid it.
thanks
post #66 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Rogers 4250 + Hauppauge HD-PVR vs Rogers 8300?

I already have a decent HTPC setup, but have been using Rogers basic cable with an analog tv tuner card and and standard def TV. Finally upgraded to a plasma tv, and now realize my options for recording high-def are extremely limited. Wondering if there is any real advantage to going with a Rogers 4250 STB + Hauppauge HD-PVR instead of just getting the Rogers 8300 PVR? I use Vista Media Center, though wouldn't rule out switching to Sage. I also have no interest in hooking it up to a PS3 to record Blu-ray discs, etc. it will be used purely for recording TV.

Last edited by 57; 2009-01-14 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread on the Hauppauge.
post #67 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-01-16, 01:32 PM
rpr

Just wanted to throw out another data point. I just recently got my HD-PVR working with MythTV, and an SA4250 and it works very well. With the new NVidia drivers and MythTV allowing video decoding to happen in the GPU hardware, the CPU usage is MUCH better. Before I used to hit about 70% utilization playing back OTA HD MPEG2 recordings, which don't really require a lot of decoding horsepower, now with VDPAU support in MythTV I can playback H.264 recordings from the HD-PVR with about 15% CPU utilization.

I just upgraded to MythDora 10.21 and it includes drivers for the HD-PVR already, so I didn't even have to do anything, it just worked.

Tom
post #68 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 06:22 AM

Stupid question about this unit. I notice that it has Component input and output to provide pass through to your TV. Does the unit have to be powered (turned on) to get the pass through?
post #69 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 12:09 PM
Veteran

I don't believe the unit has to be powered on, but it may have to be plugged in. But the way that most people use it as a PVR it would be left on 24x7.

I don't know why you would power it off as, like most electronics, it is never really off even when it is plugged in so I don't know that there is much of a change in power consumption.
post #70 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 01:32 PM

Evidently it is now possible to use the Hauppauge HD-PVR in Media Center!

http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...9&t=1086#p3700

It involves using a third party application, DVBLogic, which will allow the HD-PVR to display and record channels from your HD set top box within Media Center and even use the EPG. Apparently it even works with the Xbox 360 as an extender.

From the link:
Quote:
We are proud to announce the release of the first solution providing integration of Hauppuage's HD-PVR into Media Center.

Here are a list of features supported by DVBSBridge for HDPVR:
- High-Definition H.264 Video with AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound
- Set-top box control from Media Center using HD-PVR's integrated IR Blaster or any MCE-compatible IR blaster
- EPG (TV Guide) support using an external XMLTV file (through EIT packets)
- Channel configuration imports from an XMLTV file
- Set-top box remote control key learning (requires a MCE-Compatible IR Receiver)
- All the goods that Windows Media Center has to offer... DRM free!
post #71 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 01:50 PM

Off Topic. Sorry.

Anyone in Fredericton have one that I can borrow so I don't have to buy one and then return it?

KDL52XBR5 / AVR-689 / 5.1 RM85 / Sub PSW125 / DCT6200 / Xbox 360 / Popcorn Hour A-110 / Harmony 670
post #72 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 02:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Does the unit have to be powered (turned on) to get the pass through?
Yes.

Padding to get rid of nag.
post #73 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 03:53 PM

Apparently Hauppauge is working with Microsoft to get the HD-PVR working natively in Windows 7 Media Center as well:
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/02/...-in-the-works/
Just another reason to buy one, I know I will now.
post #74 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 09:15 PM

I went and bought a HD-PVR last weekend and this past week after a reinstallation of Windows 7 I have HDTV in Media Center from my Motorola DCT6412 with Shaw.

Everything seems to work fine except for the buggy nature of the DVB-T drivers that make Media Center recognize the HD-PVR. I am able to change channels with the IR blaster on the HD-PVR and recording and pausing work fine.

With the HD-PVR going to be officially supported in Windows 7 when it is released I am happy to finally see HDTV in Media Center in Canada.

Now, if only I could get away from using the set top box altogether.
post #75 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 11:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraycat View Post
Now, if only I could get away from using the set top box altogether.
This is extremely unlikely to happen in Canada, and even in the US there are issues - the most important being that you have to buy a whole new PC, you can't just add a CableCard tuner to an existing HTPC. And then there is the DRM up the wazoo.

Learn to love the HD-PVR with your cable box as that is the best we are likely to get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.