Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 09:09 PM
Rookie

Another toy?

I've enjoyed reading this thread from the beginning before the unit was released up to now. I've had the Rogers PVR unit for a week or so and have been impressed by the fact that the recorded playback is identical to the original HD, something you won't get with the Hauppauge PVR. Being that this device merely exploits the analog hole and "redigitizes" the analog signal, it's easy to think of it as little more than another expensive toy. Also, being that the device is connected to the computer by a usb cable, I am also forced to place my computer next to my tv, not the ideal setup. When I play back the recordings on my HD tv I presume this is being sent through the USB cable as well. Also I feel that eventually someone is going to come up with a better idea for capturing the HD that you see to your computer the same way as the service provider's PVR does. Personally, I think the right of the companies to deny direct HD recording from their HD boxes for private use to paying customers needs to be more fully tested in the court systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 11:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
I've had the Rogers PVR unit for a week or so and have been impressed by the fact that the recorded playback is identical to the original HD
I think you have some misconceptions on how digital media files work. Of course the playback from the PVR is exactly the same as the original HD - the original HD is a bunch of 1s and 0s sent to your set top box (STB). With a PVR those 1s and 0s are saved to a file on the hard drive instead of (or in addition to) being sent out over the HDMI or component outputs of your STB. To your STB and your TV the live HD broadcast and the PVR file are identical - unless there is a problem with your hard drive.

Quote:
something you won't get with the Hauppauge PVR.
That is very true but the quality of the file saved by the HD-PVR is supposed to look so close to the original that you can't really tell the device. I haven't hooked mine up yet so I don't know. I have used an analog capture from the s-video output of my cable box for years and it looks almost as good as the original digital SD cable signal.

Quote:
Being that this device merely exploits the analog hole and "redigitizes" the analog signal, it's easy to think of it as little more than another expensive toy.
It is actually the only way to get cable/sat HD into an HTPC - it may be a toy but isn't much of what is discussed on this forum toys? And remember the saying, the one with the most toys when he dies wins! In my house I have an HTPC in my main theatre setup where I run Windows XP MCE which I use as a PVR. I have 5 media centre extenders throughout my house that allow me to watch any show that I record on that HTPC throughout my house. You can't do that with the cable co PVR. I can copy those TV shows to my laptop and watch them on plane trips. I can save hundreds of TV shows to an external hard drive and take them with me when we go away so that my daugher can watch all of her TV shows. I can stream the video files or live TV over the internet so that I can watch hockey games when I am on business trips to Japan. Right now I can't do any of the above with HD files, except for OTA channels and I want to be able to record HD. The only way to do that is to use the HD-PVR which is why I have bought the device.

Quote:
Also, being that the device is connected to the computer by a usb cable, I am also forced to place my computer next to my tv, not the ideal setup.
That depends on how you set things up - many people now have dedicated Home Theatre PCs (HTPCs). The whole idea is to have the PC as a component in your home theater and use your PC as a PVR, DVD (including BluRay - rip all of your DVDs to your PC and have a movie jukebox!) player, game machine, music source, Divx file player, etc. Therefore you can get rid of all of these components from your Home Theatre. Alternatively, you could have a PC in a closet with a cable box and an HD-PVR that acts as a server. Then by your TV you could have a Sage HD extender (looks just like a DVD player) that allows you to play back all of your files and control everything as if you had the PC in front of you. You can put these extenders throughout your house.

Quote:
When I play back the recordings on my HD tv I presume this is being sent through the USB cable as well.
No - again you are misunderstanding how video files work. The HD-PVR is simply encoding the signal coming into its component inputs into a computer video file - this device uses the H.264 file. Once that file is saved to your PCs hard drive it is just like any other video file - a DVD that you have ripped to your hard drive, a Divx or MPEG file you download from the web, or a TV show encoded using an analog TV tuner capture card such as the other devices that Hauppauge and others have been selling for years. The connection from your PC to your video card will then be via HDMI, DVI or component cables, just like a STB or DVD player, assuming you have a relatively modern video card in your PC.

This is definitely not for everyone, but if you want more than just the ability to record HD shows and play them back on the device where you recorded them from then using your PC as a PVR is an option. But it is something that requires a lot more support than your cable box.

Quote:
Also I feel that eventually someone is going to come up with a better idea for capturing the HD that you see to your computer the same way as the service provider's PVR does. Personally, I think the right of the companies to deny direct HD recording from their HD boxes for private use to paying customers needs to be more fully tested in the court systems.
I really doubt that there will be any other way of capturing cable/sat HD. I wouldn't rely on the courts - the legislation such as the DMCA in the US and new similar legislation that is being introduced in Canada severly restricts our ability to capture digital media. One interpretation that I have seen is that the new Canadian law says that you can only record digital TV shows to allow you to timeshift for a few days. You cannot archive these shows to a permanent storage media and you must delete them after you watch them. You cannot give the file to your friend, etc. That is why Canadian citizens should stop the government from passing this legislation!
post #48 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 11:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your comments. At the moment I have my computer connected to my HD via a DVI to HDMI cable. I am impressed by the 1920 by 1080 resolution that can be set for using the screen as a giant monitor for viewing family digital pictures. I am planning to return the Rogers PVR because I don't use it often enough to justify the extra $13 rent or $300 extra purchase cost. I had two disappointments with the Hauppauge unit, one that it apparently does not work with MCE either in XP or Vista. The other being the USB connection that forces me to move my computer to the living room. I had been hoping to find a cheap way to run a networked media center through my computer OS to the living room. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I have ethernet cable and coax going from the computer room to the living room which at present only provides Internet via the network cable. The Hauppauge unit is not a media extender. What type of extenders do you use?

post #49 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 12:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I had two disappointments with the Hauppauge unit, one that it apparently does not work with MCE either in XP or Vista.
Microsoft is unlikely to provide support for the HD-PVR in the short term. It was hoped that this would be part of the recently released upgrade to Media Center which was codenamed Fiji but is now called TV pack 2008, but that didn't happen for some reason. Therefore it is unlikely that MS will support this device for a while - perhaps Windows 7 at the earliest, perhaps never. That is why I am switching to Sage. It is very unlikely that you would ever see support for this device on XP MCE as MS is not adding any functionality to it anymore.
post #50 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 11:39 AM
Rookie

SageTV

Could you please point me to a page that clarifies the various software packages and hardware devices available from SageTV and which of these could be used along with this Hauppauge HD PVR for HD recording and playback.
post #51 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 11:53 AM
Veteran

The best thing to do is go to their website here http://www.sage.tv/index.html

Here is how the software packages work:

SageTV media center is what you need to act as a PVR. It is kind of equivalent to Vista Media Center but it will run just as well, and perhaps better, on XP. You can use this software on a machine that is just a server or a mahcine that is a server and a front-end for content. As an add-on you can buy the placeshifter as well. This allows you to stream the content from your media PC over the internet - the limiting factor for quality here is generally the upload speed from your ISP - I have the high end Rogers internet service and my upload speed is about 800 kbps.

Sage TV client allows you to use a PC as a front end to watch all of the media on your SageTV media center. If you had 5 PCs around your house and you bought client licenses for all of them then they could be used as TVs and you wouldn't need cable boxes anywhere except connected to your Sage Media Center.

Then you can buy standalone extenders - an HD one called the HD100 and a Hauppauge Media MVP. These allow you to pretty much the full control that you have with a PC but without needing the full PC in your living room or wherever your TV is and they connect to the media PC via a wired LAN. They are also easier to configure as you don't have to play around with drivers, codecs, etc. Some people have the philosophy that you should hide your media PC in your basement, put lots of tuners and hard drives on it and then put an extender at each TV. Then you would not need a cable box, DVD player, CD player, etc. at your TVs. The media MVP is similar but it can't do HD, just SD.

There are also software versions for Linux and Macintosh.
post #52 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 05:40 PM

Sage does interest me. Can anyone answer the following, which would be my desired setup, but I don't quite understand how part of it works.

HTPC with SageTV. "Feed" that with output of my satellite STB. Prefer this gear all be in a utility area of the house, therefore use an HD100 Media Extender at my TV to source everything from the HTPC. So far, I understand this fine. I can understand how the Media Extender will pull content from the HTPC - SD and HD files and even live SD content from the STB - However... how do I get the HD output of my STB into the HTPC? I know I can get a Hauppauge HD DVR to sort of do this if I'm prepared to record the content (and watch it later). But what about live HDTV? How can I watch that via the Media Extender? I guess that's my fundamental question - how do I watch live HD satellite content via the Media Extender?

RLW
post #53 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-23, 03:23 PM

Sage TV may be able to stream live HD to your media extender. Hauppauge offers a Media Extender that will do this with Sage TV. There are other products out there that will do the same thing but support for the Hauppauge HD DVR is lacking. That support will probably show up on more products eventually.
post #54 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-24, 01:39 PM

Has anyone got this thing working?

I ordered the HD PVR months ago and have been sitting on it until the last few rainy days. I have tried Beyond TV, Sage TV and the Hauppauge software - I have another system that is using BTV and an internal analogue capture card that works great with my ps3.
I am working with two fairly identical PC's one Vista and the other XP. To this point with the HD PVR I have had trouble with BTV during set up - it will not recognize the audio or video during set up - it will only recognize the ir blaster with XP - the Hauppauge ir codes setup did not work with my 505 so I had to train the box with my starchoice remote.
I then moved onto Sage Tv which recognized the Hauppauge and the ir blaster (I have decided to avoid Vista for now and stick with my XP machine) and seemed to work okay until I tried to watch the files through my PS3 upstairs. The PS3 did not see the files let alone play them - enter TVersity.
TVersity works well on my "analogue" system with BTV (this system uses an old analgue internal card) - I just record and watch and everything is seamless- the system itself bogs down a little with TVersity, Hauppauge and BTV running but it works with little effort and every file appears and runs on my PS3.
The only thing different in the systems is the HD PVR - everything else is identical - processors, ram, vid cards
If I try to convert the files to mpeg4 I get video on the PS3 but no audio or audio but no video...so there must be some corruption happening during the capture process.
I'm really thinking of sending the unit back for a refund - has anyone attempted this? I bought directly from Hauppauge.
If anyone has been successful with setup and the PS3 please post...I need details

Last edited by Popereel; 2008-08-24 at 03:00 PM.
post #55 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-29, 03:21 PM
Rookie

SageTV uses the same mechanism for recording and live TV so all content will come through the HD-PVR. Sage will record while you are watching so you can pause or rewind for your own instant replay. Sage only keeps the recording if you tell it to. Sage needs a separate tuner for each job you want it to do simultaneously. If, for example, you want to watch a live HD program and record another while a family member watches a different live HD program using a media extender, you will need 3 HD-PVR's and 3 set top boxes from your cable/satellite provider. Watching a program that has already been recorded does not require a tuner.
post #56 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 07:18 PM
Veteran

The HD-PVR is on sale for today only, check the digital deals forum if you're interested.
post #57 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-10-07, 05:33 PM
jpb

dolby 5.1 beta available on Hauppauge site

A beta driver for 5.1 sound via the SPDIF connector is now available for those interested
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html
post #58 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 12:55 PM

Newbie Question about the Hauppauge HD PVR

I'm a newbie on the subj. and am curious if this device can help me. I currently have a Rogers HDPVR (SA8300 series). I have a few HD programs I have kept on the PVR since I am unable to offload these in HD format. My current PC is about 2 yrs old, If I was to connect the Hauppauge to the PVR and my PC would I be able to download the saved programs onto my PC and then burn these as HD files onto a DVD? Are the files it creates MKV files?

Any help is appreciated,

rgds
Bob
post #59 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 02:34 PM

Hi Bobb.

"Download" is not really the correct word, since the device does not work in the digital domain. However, it will accomplish what you're asking. You'll connect the component outputs of your Rogers PVR to the inputs of the Hauppauge unit and a USB cable between the Hauppauge and your PC. You'll get the Hauppage software on your PC ready to record and then cue up the content on your Rogers PVR, then start them both at the same time.

(If you're from my generation, this is analogous to dropping the turntable needle onto your LP and hitting "Record" on your cassette recorder a millisecond after that initial "tick....")

You're recording in real time, so if it's a two-hour program you're wanting off of the Rogers PVR, it's going to take 2 hours to get it onto your PC. The Hauppauge unit is just converting the analogue output of the Rogers PVR (back) to the digital domain.

The files it creates are not .MKV, they are .TS (transport stream). However the encoding method is H.264, which is also commonly used when creating .MKV files or .MP4 files. You can download a variety of programs which can "repackage" the .TS files into whatever format you want including .MKV. However, if you're wanting to ulitmately burn this content to DVD, there is software included with the Hauppage which will allow you to do that.

Note that I have not done any of this file processing or burning to DVD, so I can't offer my experience in that regard. However I have used the Hauppauge connected to my BluRay player to back up a BluRay disk to .TS file on my PC. I can then play the file either on my PC or on my media player (I use a TViX 6500) which is connected to my TV and "pulls" the file from my PC.

Hope this helps...
RLW
post #60 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Bob - when you say burn to a DVD to you want to burn video to a DVD to play in a standalone player or just backup the file to DVD? Don't forget that the DVD video format does not support HD so you would be downconverting the program to 480i or p resolution

There may be another way to do this that will keep the file in the digital domain and would be cheaper - but it may or not work too well. You can attach a firewire cable between your SA8300HD and your PC (assuming that your PC has a firewire port). You install drivers for the SA8300HD on the PC and use VLC (or some other software) to capture the program to file. This will also take real time i.e.two hours for a two hour show. The upside is that the file will be an MPEG-2 TS, which is more standard than the H.264 T, but it will be quite a bit larger as MPEG-2 is a less efficient codec. Note that even if your PC doesn't have firewire you can but a card for around $20 - a lot less than a HD-PVR. (Not that I am discouranging you from getting an HD-PVR since they are the greatest invention since sliced bread IMHO).

This did work when I last tried it in about Jan 07 but VLC would sometimes crash. Recently someone reported that this no longer worked - thay may be due to a problem on their PC or a change that Rogers made in the boxes. This tends to work better on Macs than PCs so if you have a Mac you may have more luck.

Check out this bit long thread Firewire Port Discussion - Summary in Post 1 (No 5C discussions) - pay attention to the links in the first post to make you reading more efficient!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.