Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 09:35 PM

Posts deleted. Please keep an "best price" postings, where to buy etc in the shopping fourm. This thread is strictly for discussing the device itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-07-25, 04:54 PM

My post was deleted and now I'm told we can discuss who is selling it but we can't discuss prices. That being the case I wonder if any Canadian seller has it in stock. I put in an order for it back on June 7th with "Microbytes" and at the time they had about -13 orders including mine and as of a couple of days ago they told me it was -89 and their supplier was supposed to get it soon (same story repeated a couple of times). When I heard about the Dell deal I contaced them via chat at the time just before checkout and I specifically asked when I could have it and they told me 5 to 7 business days. I decided to go for it and completed the order giving them my visa details. They confirmed the order with an e-mail with estimated ship date of Aug 1st which was ok with me. A day later I followed up on the order and they changed the date to SEPT 15th.

Following other forums I have learned that Hauppauge is having problems keeping up with demand and they have also had to take back a number of early units due to problems. They also still can't deliver the advertised 5.1 audio.

When more of us can get our hands on one we can discuss our experiences.
post #33 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 11:22 PM
Veteran

I just noticed on the Canada Computer web site that they have the HD-PVR in stock at several of their stores in the GTA.

post #34 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-05, 01:08 PM

Any progress any1? Is it working good for at least 1 person?

How is it going with the HD-PVR?
post #35 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-05, 01:17 PM
Veteran

I have received mine but I haven't had the time to set it up yet as I am doing this as part of a SageTV setup and I am getting Sage set up first. But there shouldn't be any issues as lots of Sage users have this up and running. I will post back with my experiences once I get it working.
post #36 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-06, 11:44 AM

Audio/video sync issues?

Has anyone using this device noticed any audio/video sync issues with their recordings?

I've noticed with many video capture cards that when you record for quite a while, that the audio goes out of sync with the video. Canopus has a capture device (ADVC-110) that supposedly fixes this. But does this HD-PVR have these issues? I'd rather get this than the Canopus device if it works properly.

...Matt
post #37 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-06, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I haven't posted in here for awhile because I just couldnt stand the whole HTPC thing any longer, actually I couldnt stand setting it up with the HD-PVR and SageTV. I had everything working fine with VMC, but of course I wanted HD. Bought the HD-PVR, bought SageTV, so that I could watch HD.

Worked on setting it up for a month. Never got SageTV to work properly. HD-PVR worked fine in Arcsoft, but not in Sage. Sage always froze, never worked. After a month I gave up and didnt even want to think about HTPCs anymore. I setup VMC and have had pretty much no issues since. So now I have over $300 worth of equipment and programs for nothing. What a waste.

That said, in the next week or two I'm going to attempt Sage again, but I don't have my hopes up at all.

Sorry just had to vent at how much of a waste the whole thing was.

Dave.
post #38 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 01:16 PM
edv

Didn't see anyone post this, but Extremetech did a review of this product 3 weeks ago. Some interesting comments on it as well.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2325697,00.asp

Plasmas:Panny TC60PS34 LG 42PX4D Toshiba 50HPX95 AVR:Yamaha HTR6190B & HTPC
post #39 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 01:24 PM
Veteran

The problem with that review is that it assumes that you will be using the Arcsoft software that is packaged with the unit. That is a very bad assumption as I am pretty sure that almost everyone who buys this is doing so to use with more full fledged PVR software such as Sage, BeyondTV or (in the future) Vista MC.
post #40 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 12:45 PM

Considering purchasing a Hauppauge HD PVR. Main reason is like most - I want to be able to record, time-shift HD content from satellite TV. But I have a secondary interest and have yet to see any postings or information on it at all...

If the HD PVR converts incoming component video HD content to H.264 files... couldn't it do the same thing if I connected the component outputs of my Blu-Ray player to it? Basically back up my Blu-Ray movie without the tedious hassle of ripping, re-encoding, burning etc?

I don't know if or how Macrovision rears it's ugly head in this scenario. Is the component output of a Blu-Ray/HD DVD/SD DVD player Macrovision encoded?

RLW
post #41 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 12:48 PM
Veteran

This method should work for backing up the BR DVDs unless the studios disable component outputs which they are supposed to be able to do on a disc by disc basis but which they apparently have not done yet. But personally I think you are better of just ripping the disc with software like AnyDVD as you will get higher quality, more flexibility, etc.
post #42 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the input Wayne. I'd be surprised if the studios made such a drastic action, the same as I would be surprised if the satellite tv providers disabled the component outputs of their recievers. Not saying it won't happen eventually, but done anytime in the next couple years would result in some pretty nasty backlash as consumers without HDMI TV inputs voice their displeasure. There are a ton of TVs out there purchased shortly after HD started to become available with no HDMI or DVI inputs. Good TVs which cost consumers real money, but which are limited to component inputs for HD content.

If I was in their situation and my satellite provider disabled my component outputs, or disabled the content from being routed there, I wouldn't be the only consumer lined up to put my name on a class action suit. At any rate, I digress...

I'm sure you're right that ripping and burning would provide the better end product. And I would definately want top quality on my movie backups, which I store as ISO files on a NAS. However for a seasons worth of Dexter or The Wire - I'm more interested in not sucking up gigabytes of data on my NAS and am willing to accept the slight loss in quality. I play all the content, by the way, via a TViX 6500

RLW
post #43 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 06:53 PM

Question Anyone use this to archive family movie? or SD material like VHS

I have been looking for a hardware MP4 encoder to archive family videos from a Analog Tapes. Has anyone tried recording SD videos from VHS or Camcorder tapes? I will be interested in the results and file size for lower quality NON HD material . I have tried archive to DVD using Mpeg2 but am frustrated by the time and processor resources it takes to convert DV footage by transcoding to mpeg2.
LH
post #44 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 07:34 PM

This device will be more than adequate for encoding family videos to MPEG4. There are probably cheaper methods. At any rate, this would be a good topic for a new thread in the Digital Cameras and Camcorders Equipment and Software section. There may already be a thread on the subject.
post #45 of 352 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edv View Post
Didn't see anyone post this, but Extremetech did a review of this product 3 weeks ago. Some interesting comments on it as well.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2325697,00.asp
The review has a major contradiction. In the second opening paragraph it says "..promises to capture component video in full 1080P" and later goes on to say that playback of a recorded show was very good but not as pristine as the original signal. And this show would be max of 1080i or 720P. The "promise" part is misleading, and Hauppauge site only claims 1080i.

In addition, it did not cover audio, which is currently limited to 2-channel, but 5.1 is expected in the next release.

It review was bad, but the product has potential.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.