Hauppauge "Analog Hole" HD PVR for PCs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Lightbulb Hauppauge "Analog Hole" HD PVR for PCs

I cannot overstate how FANTASTIC this is for Canadians as anyone who gets HD will now have options for recording HD with software such as Sage, BeyondTV or MCE, assuming that they will work with this card.
Quote:
Hauppauge Digital, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAUP), the world's leading developer and manufacturer of analog and digital TV receiver products for personal computers, demonstrated at CES 2008 for the first time their ‘HD PVR’, a USB personal video recorder which can record high definition TV video into H.264 in real time.

The HD PVR can connect to high definition cable TV or satellite TV set top box receivers, and uses it’s on-board H.264 hardware encoder to record high definition TV programs in an ISO standard HD H.264 AVC format in real time. The connections to the set top boxes are made via component cables, also referred to as ‘YPrPb’ or the red/blue/green connectors on HD set top boxes. The HD PVR includes a video player application which allows the recorded TV programs to be played back on a PC screen.

To enable automatic recording of TV programs, the HD PVR recorder includes Hauppauge’s IR Blaster, which controls the channels on most popular cable and satellite TV set top boxes in North America and Europe, and will allow users to schedule the recording of their HD programs. The IR Blaster is also used on Hauppauge’s WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-HVR-1600 TV receivers. In addition to high definition ISO standard H.264 recordings, the Hauppauge HD PVR can also create AVCHD recordings, which is the format used on Blu-ray high definition players.

As part of the software applications which will be shipped with Hauppauge’s HD encoder, a DVD burning application will be provided which can take AVCHD formatted recordings and burn them onto a conventional DVD disc. These discs can then be played in Blu-ray DVD players. About 2 hours of Blu-ray HD content can be recorded on a 4.7 GByte DVD disk.

The HD PVR will be available in Q1 2008, with a suggested retail price of $249.
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...38&newsLang=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 06:26 PM

this is great news.. i'd love to try this out!
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 06:43 PM

That is one MUST buy......I have already put it at the top my Birthday Wish List.

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 08:18 PM

This is huge news to me. I've always preferred using my HTPC running media center to record TV shows but since I couldn't record HD (unless I went with OTA which I didn't want to do) I ended up buying a Rogers HDPVR and its interface is archaic compared to media center to say the least.

But isn't there legal (copyright) issues with recording from component video?
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Exclamation Hauppauge Announces "Analog Hole" HDTV recording device for PCs

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...38&newsLang=en

So long as this puppy is not killed off, this is pretty much the holy grail...

From all of the news around the 'net, it sounds like SageTV is well in the know on this one so if any of the HTPC packages are ready for it, sounds like they are.

Either way, this is everything the customer could ever want from a choice perspective. It may not be as elegant as a native digital device to whatever service you are subscribed to but the reality is that with one (or more) of these, you have TOTAL choice of who your cable or sat providor is. No more worries about if firewire is available or if there is an R5000 hack for your STB. And especially, there is no more worrying over the massive price tag of a certified CableCARD equipped PC from the likes of Dell.

All I know is that the very INSTANT that these are available, tested/reviewed and supported in SageTV, well, my credit card is coming out of my wallet faster than clothes off of newly weds.
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 08:32 PM
Veteran

D'oh!!!

Wayne, you beat me to starting a thread!!!

Mods, do as you will with the thread I started in the HTPC section...
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 09:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753951
You'd still need provider's set top box and you can't record two channels at the same time. Add to that expense (and bulk) of PC this is going into ... and you still don't have clear winner.
Pardon me?!?!?!

You buy two (or more) cards and rent or buy two (or more) STBs!!!

And as to the expense of an HTPC, whoopdeedoo!!! It is a vastly superior investment compared to a dual tuner STB. With these Hauppauge devices, you can use whoever you want and switch between whoever you want!!! Oh, and guess what? When you do switch, you don't lose the recordings you already have and you get to keep using the exact same interface you were. Not to mention it allowing you to maintain scheduled series from providor to providor.
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 10:20 PM

This is awesome, my only question is what took so long?

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 10:42 PM
Q
Veteran

This is fantastic news. No mention of type of audio it will accept.
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have seen elsewhere (in reports from folks at CES) that it will have DD 5.1 inputs but I have not seen that in official info from Hauppauge. No mention as to whether those would be coax or TOSLINK but either would be fine with me as I believe the Rogers SA3250HD cable boxes have both.
post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 10:50 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

It will be interesting to see whether this new Hauppauge device uses the Broadcast Flag (even though it has not been legally enacted) or CGMS-A. If so, I'll stick with my MythTV/pcHDTV/Linux OTA box for recording HD programming free of that DRM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_flag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A
post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't know how that could stop recording as a valid signal over component outputs is required to watch TV, let alone record, so unless they come up with some sort of Macrovision or CGMS-A over component then we are safe. But I already have an OTA card in my HTPC - there is no point in throwing it out. This will allow me to, hopefully, record cable and I have the OTA card for conflicts if I also want something on OTA at the same time. 99% of what I want to record is not on OTA, such as movies, sports, shows on cable channels, etc.
post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
And as to the expense of an HTPC, whoopdeedoo!!! It is a vastly superior investment compared to a dual tuner STB. With these Hauppauge devices, you can use whoever you want and switch between whoever you want!!! Oh, and guess what? When you do switch, you don't lose the recordings you already have and you get to keep using the exact same interface you were. Not to mention it allowing you to maintain scheduled series from providor to providor.
You forgot to mention extenders, ability to burn DVDs (and BR/HD DVDs), ability to play other content like music divx movies and photos, ability to back up content so you don't lose it if a hard drive dies, placeshifting ability without requiring Slingbox, etc.
post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 08:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
You forgot to mention...
Indeed!!!

And on and on and on...

The moment that an HTPC is equipped with these devices, it becomes the most powerful and generally easy to install TOTAL media solution for ANY home. No more firewire fiddling or OTA antenna pointing. The average joe will almost litterally just have to buy an HTPC preconfigured and BOOM!!! They only need connect some cables to the back of the HTPC and then tell it who their TV providor is!!!
post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 09:27 AM

Wayne, In response to your question. I suspect HD STBs will have the second option real soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole

Quote:
Manufacturers of recording devices can be required to screen analog inputs for watermarks (or Macrovision or CGMS-A) and limit recording as a condition of private contracts. For example, a manufacturer who licenses patents or trade secrets associated with a particular DRM scheme might also be obliged as a purely contractual matter to add recording limitations to digital recording products.

Manufacturers of certain playback devices such as set-top boxes can be required, as a condition of private contracts, to allow publishers or broadcasters to disable analog outputs entirely, or to degrade the analog output quality, when particular programming is displayed. This capability is one example of Selectable Output Control. A broadcaster could then prevent all recording of a broadcast program by indicating that compliant receiving devices should refuse to output it through analog outputs at all.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.