Hauppauge "Analog Hole" HD PVR for PCs - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have started a separate thread on this but I, in good faith, bought a SA3250HD terminal from Rogers two years ago to connect to my TV which has component inputs but no DVI or HDMI inputs. Rogers did not support the DVI output on this box - I think they still recommend that you use component. If they were to disable the component outputs on the SA3250HD then worse case scenario is that they should give back the money I paid for the box - even replacing the box won't solve my problem as my HDTV wouldn't be HD anymore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Manufacturers of certain playback devices such as set-top boxes can be required, as a condition of private contracts, to allow publishers or broadcasters to disable analog outputs entirely, or to degrade the analog output quality, when particular programming is displayed.
If this were ever to happen, it would be the equivalent of FORCING the customers that already have CRT RPTVs to buy a new digital TV.

That is fairly communist and the US market would pretty much freak out and stop watching TV over something like that. I know I would...
post #18 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 02:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

It is already happening:

MCE Upgrade Disables Your PVR!

That's why I need to know a lot more about how this Hauppauge device handles such issues.

post #19 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

This CGMS-A issue is very familiar to those of us with MCE - however BeyondTV and SageTV do NOT respect this flag and I am not sure that it is passed on via component cables. In addition CGMS-A can be blocked with a filter - presumably a filter would be able to block any sort of ARM (analogue rights management? - does that term exist) that comes out. But I think it would be harder to do this with pre-existing hardware such as the boxes that many of us have owned for several years.
post #20 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 04:46 PM
os

I don't think this device is as revolutionary as it first appears.
My HDTV recording device for PC is called BitTorrent . I don't think I would need another device that would re-encode the decoded signal. The quality will suck as much as for downloaded re-encoded HD.
post #21 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The quality may be slightly less than the original HD but I would bet it will be pretty good, certainly much better than SD. The codec being used (H.264) is included in the BluRay spec (it may also be in the HD-DVD spec) so at the same bitrate as BluRay discs it should have comparable quality, but I believe it will be using a lower bitrate.

BitTorrent does have its drawbacks - it won't help me if I want to start watching tonight's 7pm Toronto Raptors game at 8:30 pm, fast-forwarding through all stoppages, half-time, etc. and finishing at 9:30 just after the game actually ended.
post #22 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 05:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by os
I don't think I would need another device that would re-encode the decoded signal. The quality will suck as much as for downloaded re-encoded HD.
Wrong.

BitTorrent content is radically reduced in quality (No average BT download of a recoded HDTV show is even encoded at 480p) compared to a pure MPEG2 HDTV show that consumes 8 GB per hour. If this device reduces the quality to even 4 GB per hour, it will still blow BitTorrent out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
BitTorrent does have its drawbacks - it won't help me if I want to start watching tonight's 7pm Toronto Raptors game at 8:30 pm, fast-forwarding through all stoppages, half-time, etc. and finishing at 9:30 just after the game actually ended.
EXACTLY!!!

The biggest threat to BitTorrent is not lawyers and Hollywood, it is a more convenient mode of content access. This device allows for a level of easy access that is far and beyond what BT or VOD services provide. If I watch a less popular show, it is FAR harder for me to find and get said show in a timely fashion from BitTorrent. If I have a super easy to use and schedule HTPC/HDPVR with storage capacities set to what I want, I get to record what I want and watch it when I want.

(All arguments about BitTorrent giving you access to content not otherwise available in Canada are moot as they are not available in Canada. IE: Dexter)
post #23 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 12:56 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Posts in this thread about CRTC and government policy have been split to this new thread:

Is the CRTC the voice and word of government media policy?
post #24 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 09:23 PM
edv

Sooo..with this new capture card, am I correct in assuming that I would be able to take existing HD recordings stored in my 9242 PVR and download them into the HTPC to store for posterity, just like old VHS tapes? This would be the solution I've been waiting for.
post #25 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edv
Sooo..with this new capture card, am I correct in assuming...
This is what everything we have been reading is telling us!!!

The next 8 to 10 weeks cannot go by fast enough.

I am able to use the firewire on my Rogers hardware here in New Brunswick but there is no guarantee that I will have this luxury forever. This new device has the promise of aleveating any issues I otherwise would have had if Rogers does anything weird in New Brunswick.

It also means that I would no longer be tied to Rogers as my only choice for HDTV.
post #26 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It will be interesting to see if the analog hole starts to close - such as newer STBs, etc. not having component outputs and the ICT being set in BR/HD-DVDs. You might see older harder sell for a prermium - remember when the "Do Not Copy" flag was supposed to go live for OTA and certain cards, such as the ATI HDTV wonder were going to be discontinued.
post #27 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-20, 08:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if the analog hole starts to close - such as newer STBs, etc. not having component outputs
I can't see that happen as it would seriously alienate a lot of customers.

Quote:
and the ICT being set in BR/HD-DVDs.
This will likely happen sooner because of the Hauppauge device but thanks to AnyDVD, it will be pointless.
post #28 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 12:19 AM

Location: Thornhill, Rogers, SA3250, Sanyo PLV-Z4, Carada 102", Panny RP56 DVD, HKAVR525, Klipsch, MX700
Do the component outputs on the SA boxes output in full 1080p...or only in 1080i/720p?
post #29 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 01:16 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There is no broadcast material available in 1080P, so the output on any HDSTBs is 1080i, 720P.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #30 of 125 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 03:22 PM

Has anyone seen any more information or specs/reviews on the Hauppauge HD PVR?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.