Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

All About HDTVs as a PC or Laptop Monitor

135K views 528 replies 182 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
As I shopped for an HDTV, I got the uncomfortable feeling that few were PC friendly. Most new models sport HDMI inputs. Contrary to what I read in many AV magazines, HDMI isn't a backward compatible evolution of the DVI interface. This White Paper from the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) explains the incompatibility between personal computers and consumer electronics. In short:
A major contributing factor to this growing problem is the use of similar (and in some cases identical) digital interfaces used in both markets. Examples include the DVI and HDMI specifications, both of which are based on a common electrical interface definition and which are showing up more and more in both entertainment and PC systems. There is a growing likelihood of consumers having products of both types in their homes, and the apparent compatibility naturally leads the consumer to believe that such products will interoperate. However, due to the current incompatibilities between PC and CE industry standards and typical industry practices, a consumer attempting to connect CE and PC products will very often find that they do not work well together as expected.
The whole point of an HTPC is to connect it to a high definition display. Many people in this forum are having problems doing this. So, I thought I would start a thread that would specifically identify those high definition monitors and TVs that can't be connected to a PC or that do not allow the PC to use the panel's full native resolution.

#109 ·
I use DVI-HDMI to connect my PC to my TH42PX60. It's weird that when I select the native resolution of 1028x768, the text on the screen would flicker. So I had to change the resolution to 1280x768 to remove the flicker but under this resolution, some parts of the screen were cut off. My video card is 7800 GT btw. Anyone know how to remove the flicker issue in 1024x768? I perfer this resolution because it shows full screen.

#112 ·
Using an HDTV as a PC/Laptop Monitor

I want to change my pc monitor.

I actualy use my pc for listening music, listening TV (I have and HDTV ATSC tuner) record my starchoice receiver (by s-vhs connector to the atsc tuner)
play game (I have an ATI X1800 gto card) surf the web, etc, etc.

I'm think of buying an Samsung 1080p 40" monitor (1920x1080) or acer 26" pc monitor (1920x1200)

samsung monitor have 6ms respond time 6000:1 contrast (dynamic) 1920x1080 progressive resolution and the acer have 5ms respond time 800:1 contrast and 1920x1200 resolution.

I would prefer the samsung 1080p monitor but I not shure it's good enough for a pc monitor (should It be good for playing computer game?) What do you think of that?

samsung 1080p TV
http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/tv/lcdtv/lns4096dxxaa.asp?page=Specifications

#116 ·
laptop to LCD TV connection

Hi group

This is how I have connected by laptop to my LCD TV.

Laptop : Dell E1505 with s-video, VGA & headphone jack.
LCD TV : with s-video & VGA ports
Receiver : Audio ports

I have connected the laptop to the TV using VGA cable and I have connected laptop to receiver using the headphone jack using the regular (composite cable i think) so that the audio is output throught my speaker system.

Is this the right way to connect or are there bettwe ways/cables to connect. pls let me know

Thanks in advance

rsk

#118 ·
Samsung 40" LCD - HMDI - not computer compatible ?

Hello,

I just received a 40" Samsung LCD ( not read projection ) TV today,
and much to my dismay, the manual indicates that the HMDI ports
on this TV do NOT support computers.

I'm really surprised to read this, I know that rear projections LCD tvs ( 50" )
with HDMI ports do indeed support a computer with a dvi to hdmi cable.

I find this rather distressing :-(

There is a PC connection o the back of this TV, however I know that this will not produce a crisp screen vs a computer using an HDMI connection. (cable )

Is this something TV manufactures are just adding to their manuals in case to cover their backs ? - I do remember reading something that LCD rear projection TVs had a warning in their manuals ( Toshibas ? ) that you should not hook up a computer via the HDMI input port on the back of the TV, however this DOES indeed work.

I'm a bit new to this, so thank you for your time if you can help me out with this.

#119 ·
I shall weight in on this question,

as I just did this myself about 20 mins ago for the first time ever.

I was very skepical about how good a regular old computer monitor cable
connected to the laptop and the back of my new lcd tv would look but after seeing it, I have to say "wow "

The quality is indeed breaktaking. I could actually work on Windows XP,
do graphics, read email, surf the web - that is how clear the text is.

I'm very very impressed !

I hooked my laptop up using an old computer monitor cable I had in the basement, by the way, -- one end goes to the back of my laptop, the other end into the back of the lcd tv. ( great stuff ! ) and very easy.

#121 ·
What is nVidia 7300LE "TV Out" and how to interface with HDTV?

I am *NOT* a hardware guru (otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question). I recently bought a dedicated WinXP machine (DELL) for use as a PVR. The video card is an nVidia 7300LE TurboCache. It has 3 outputs. I recognize the VGA and the DVI outputs. There is a 3rd output, which is round and approximately the size of a PS/2 mouse/keyboard input.

I've searched Google, and various sites seem to refer to this output as either a "TV out" or "HDTV out". However, there is no explanation as to what this is, or how to connect to an HDTV, and I'm quite confused by what I've read. Is this output better/worse than DVI-I and what cable do I use to connect to an HDTV?

I'm expecting to buy an HDTV in the next 2 months, so I'd like to know what inputs it should have. In addition to watching live TV, I'll also be recording stuff that's on when I'm sleeping or when I'm at work. The HDTV will have to have a tuner, but I also need to be able to play back from my PVR machine to the HDTV.

#122 ·
This video card is one of the cheapest 7 series card that Nvidia produced. For a long time it was only available to system manufacturers like Dell and HP.

The output terminal that you are referring to is usually used with a breakout box or cable that looks something like this:

This will provide you with an analog style connection to your new HDTV via the component inputs. The DVI connector should provide a better signal but that is in theory. Reality is that most folks can't see a difference between the DVI or analog. If your TV will be 1080P capable then the DVI might give you a better picture.

One note you may not be aware of - a HTPC will NOT give you a HD signal to input to your TV. HD signals can only be received from a set top box provided to you by your cable or satellite company.

Also, if the PC you bought does not have an integrated tuner card, you will have to buy that as well. The tuner card will allow you to record the analog stations via cable or over-the-air signals.

#123 ·
One note you may not be aware of - a HTPC will NOT give you a HD signal to input to your TV. HD signals can only be received from a set top box provided to you by your cable or satellite company.
Thanks for that info; what do I call the cable when I go to a computer store to buy one? One item on my Google search about the 7300LE ( http://www.geniman.com.hk/7300le_pcie.htm ) says, and I quote...
• Integrated HDTV encoder provides analog TV-output (Component/Composite/S-Video) up to 1080i resolution

All other theings being equal, which of "Component/Composite/S-Video" gives the best picture?

Also, if the PC you bought does not have an integrated tuner card, you will have to buy that as well. The tuner card will allow you to record the analog stations via cable or over-the-air signals.
I bought an OnAir GT external USB tuner with PVR software plus a CM4221 antenna and pre-amp in my living room. The USB tuner receives OTA digital and analogue (as well as cable digital and analogue, which I don't have). The USB tuner is very sensitive, picking up some Buffalo stations that my 2nd-hand Samsung TS160 never locked onto.

I am currently "enjoying HDTV" on an old 17" CRT computer monitor at 1280x1024. Even on that, the images are very clean and crisp, with no ghosting whatsoever. The HDTV is coming "Real Soon Now". The reason for my posting is that I want to know what inputs are required so I can play back through the TV stuff I've recorded on the Dell. That is going to be a mandatory item on the features checklist.

#125 ·
Hey Walter! Good to see you started down the HTPC route!

That card may cover you with just the DVI connection as the NVidia cards have a reasonably good tewaking function in the driver in regars to dealing with any overscan or underscan issues you may have.

As for that cable for the multi-function port, if it is more than $20, then frankly, it is more worth your time to buy a Radeon X1600 with HDCP or a NVidia 7600GT. I know you are probably not looking to spend more money, but the 7300 that is in that system is at the very lowest range of supporting HDTV playback.

I'd just rather see you spend any extra cash on a better card than on more cables for that card. And a new ATI or NVidia card would ship with the rat tail connector too.

#126 ·
que3jxp
Hey Walter! Good to see you started down the HTPC route!
"HTPC" may be overstating it somewhat. I've got a HDTV PVR, feeding a 17" CRT computer monitor right now. A real HDTV is coming "Real Soon Now". The audio isn't anything to brag about either. For now, I'm running a pair of old computer speakers. I live in a condo, so there's no point in a super speaker system.

That card may cover you with just the DVI connection as the NVidia cards have a reasonably good tewaking function in the driver in regars to dealing with any overscan or underscan issues you may have.
The simpler the better.

As for that cable for the multi-function port, if it is more than $20, then frankly, it is more worth your time to buy a Radeon X1600 with HDCP or a NVidia 7600GT. I know you are probably not looking to spend more money, but the 7300 that is in that system is at the very lowest range of supporting HDTV playback.

I'd just rather see you spend any extra cash on a better card than on more cables for that card. And a new ATI or NVidia card would ship with the rat tail connector too.
This pack rat has a rat tail:p . That image looked familiar, so I went and dug around in my box of various assorted cables and found one that looks like it. The connecter even plugs into the card. The other end has 4 plugs, including the familiar red yellow and white composite. However, my 19" NTSC portable TV doesn't get any picture or sound from from the connection. The 19" TV does get sound+picture from my 2nd-hand Samsung TS160, so I know that works.

#128 ·
You may have to restart the PC with the TV connected for it to "come to life". I have seen this with some models of both NVidia and ATI based cards.
Thanks, but no luck. BTW, I compared the DVI output on the video card against the diagrams at http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html and it appears to be a dual link DVI-I, which can handle digital or analogue connections.

One more question; most HDTVs seem to have HDMI connectors. Are HDMI-to-DVI connectors relatively foolproof? How will my PC know whether to send a digital or analogue signal out the DVI port on the video card?

#129 ·
The analog signals of a DVI-I connector are RGB signals (aka VGA). Some TVs take VGA but you'd need to plug a DVI to VGA adapter into the video card.

As far as DVI-HDMI goes all you need is a DVI to HDMI cable to make the connection. There are many sources for those and don't pay more than $25 or so unless you need a very long one.

As far as compatibility goes, some TVs handle the handshaking better than others so it's a bit of a crapshoot. FWIW, I have my plasma (NEC) connected to my HDTV via a DVI-HDMI cable an have had no handshake issues at all.

#130 ·
Quote:
The output terminal that you are referring to is usually used with a breakout box or cable that looks something like this:

There are a lot of this type of apparatus being sold on EBay, most of it useless junk. There were some old video cards that you could use a VGA to composite connector but the VGA of today has changed. If the documentation with the DELL shows a TV out, then it should be good. Otherwise, you are going to need some kind of video conversion.

#134 ·
Connecting Laptop to 42" Plasma

I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding hooking up my laptop to a Plasma tv. I got a far as the deskstop showing on the TV but it doesn't show Outlook or the Internet. Any suggestions???

I have a Gateway 4535 GZ Notebook and Samsung SPR 4212 which is connected to a Motorola PVR

Thank you for any help..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.