Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

All About HDTVs as a PC or Laptop Monitor

135K views 528 replies 182 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
As I shopped for an HDTV, I got the uncomfortable feeling that few were PC friendly. Most new models sport HDMI inputs. Contrary to what I read in many AV magazines, HDMI isn't a backward compatible evolution of the DVI interface. This White Paper from the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) explains the incompatibility between personal computers and consumer electronics. In short:
A major contributing factor to this growing problem is the use of similar (and in some cases identical) digital interfaces used in both markets. Examples include the DVI and HDMI specifications, both of which are based on a common electrical interface definition and which are showing up more and more in both entertainment and PC systems. There is a growing likelihood of consumers having products of both types in their homes, and the apparent compatibility naturally leads the consumer to believe that such products will interoperate. However, due to the current incompatibilities between PC and CE industry standards and typical industry practices, a consumer attempting to connect CE and PC products will very often find that they do not work well together as expected.
The whole point of an HTPC is to connect it to a high definition display. Many people in this forum are having problems doing this. So, I thought I would start a thread that would specifically identify those high definition monitors and TVs that can't be connected to a PC or that do not allow the PC to use the panel's full native resolution.

#84 ·
Best solution for PC to HDTV video connection?

I am wanting to hook up my PC to my tv. My pc currently has a dvi. vga and s-video output, the dvi to hdmi connection to my toshiba tv would be the best if it weren't for the handshake problem that my tv has with dvi. I am wondering if there is a vga or dvi to component cable that might work for me better?

#86 ·
I am using an 128mb sapphire radeon 9200se, I have been looking at some new video cards that show hdtv out but the connector just looks like a s-video ?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17582&vpn=87-2C85-01-SA&manufacture=SAPPHIRE
If anyone can recomend a video card (has to be agp)that would allow me to hook-up to my hdtv and play some of the new games out that my 9200 won't (ie company of heroes)and of course not break the bank, I would be most happy.The reason I wanted to do the tv hookup is to watch shows that have been recorded with BTV4 also that have been downloaded.I have the dsm-320 but it is to limited and would rather have a direct hookup and use with my firefly remote.

#87 ·
I am assuming you have an HDTV with at least component video in...

My personal favourite is the Sapphire X1600 Pro AGP 256 MB. It is reasonably priced, has full HD hardware accelleration and is reasonably good at recent games. As for that s-video looking connector on it, that is a multi-function DIN connector. There s a rat tail breakout that plugs into that and becomes 3 x RCA type connectors. Each is colored the appropriate R, G or B.

I use an X1600 Pro in one of my MCE PCs and an X1300 Pro in the other. There is a wonderful tweaking applet in the Catalyst drivers that allows for a reasonably good fine tuning of the display resolution so that it matches the Component in of the TV you are using.

As for NVidia solutions, the best low cost options in AGP are the 6600GT and 7600GT. The 7600GT is hard to gfind but provides all of the features that the X1000 series cards have and is faster in games than an X1600 Pro.

#88 ·
Hi Guys,

I've been connecting my PC to HDTV since 2001. Its reasuring to see the card makers devote tweaking capabilities for PQ as well as frame rates.

I've also been using a PCI card video scaler since late 02 and a gentleman from digitalconnection.com did some scoped settings in the overlay section that you may want to try. These settings are strictly for trabsferring video from or through a PC to HD capable tv and not necessarily for desktop.

Brightness -35
Contrast +145
Gamma +1.2
default for all other settings

These settings can be uses as a base for ATI cards then tweaked in something like D'SCALER.

Peter M.

Peter M.

#91 ·
I tried those settings on my x1300 on my ACER 32" and they were extremely harsh. I even set the TV back to factory and it was still too much.

Thanks for reminding me about those controls! (Minutes after I asked the question of where, I realized that I have stared at them for years but have had no use for them)

#92 ·
I plug my computer into my Prima 32" LCD TV via VGA. The TV is 1368x768, but I usually set it 1360x960 or 1360x1024 to get more on the screen (particularly for games). The TV appears to accept pretty much any resolution up to 1920x1080, although that last one looks really bad.

I have the component dongle, but don't have any spare component cables at the moment. As well, using VGA leaves the component connector free for the DVD player to use (cable box hooked to HDMI).

#93 ·
No hdmi/dvi signal to dell hdcp monitor

I have a rogers 8300HD PVR with a hdmi output to dvi cable with a new monitor from Dell - its the new 20 incher widescreen with hdcp and a dvi port.. resolution 1600 x 1050.

I tried testing the dell monitor out using the rogers pvr as the tv tuner and all I get is a blank screen. The dell monitor checks out using the vga port and my laptop as a video source, but the signal can't seem to make it through to my monitor using the rogers box. What confuses me is the signal works as it should under the same config using my westinghouse 32 inch lcd tv monitor, which doesn't have an atsc tuner so its basically the same thing if you know what i mean..

rogers said to adjust using the pass-through command in the setup menu, but if you have the hdmi cable plugged in, you can't choose this, and the menu defaults to fixed/upconvert 1/upconvert 2/auto hdmi/dvi.

#94 ·
See what the output signal is on the front of the STB. Some TVs/monitors won't accept certain signal types such as 480i/P via HDMI, only 720P, 1080i.

You can "force" the output of 1080i by selecting "fixed" in the setup menu and/or 1080i in the advanced setup wizard.

See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "Tips for SA STBs". Sometimes you may need to do the setup using component video, deleting the formats that HDMI cannot handle and then going back to HDMI.

Or if the Monitor accepts component video, simply use it.

#95 ·
Rogers PVR does NOT SUPPORT the HDMI output

I called their support after buying a new TV with HDMI input and they just tell me it doesnt work! They say it is because the older tv's dont support copy protection so they wont support HDMI.
This is a huge pain in the ass as they are deliberatly settling for only delivering component video and no optical or digital outputs.
I will search for someone other than Rogers as a service provider. They continue to have the absolute WORST customer approach in the world!! GGGRrrrrrrrr -- ROGERS SUCKS!!

#96 ·
A few comments:

1. Rogers doesn't officially support HDMI due to a huge number of problems that can arise. They support Component Video only, as do most service providers (Videotron is the only exception I know that will troubleshoot HDMI). So, unless you plan to move to Videotron territory, good luck in finding technical support for HDMI.

2. Most people do get HDMI to work. It is active. I have installed HDMI from the SA8300HD for several of my clients without issue (after appropriate setup using Component Video if the TV doesn't accept all signal formats via HDMI). I have not heard of a non-HDCP HDMI connection. DVI can be without HDCP, however, I believe that all HDMI connections on HDTVs are HDCP compliant.

3. I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to optical/digital outputs. All Rogers HD STBs have optical and/or coaxial audio outputs.

#97 ·
Can I connect my Laptop to my LCD Rear projection TV

Hi,
I remember reading here on DHC last year that you should not use your TV as a monitor as it might damage it. I can't seem to find that thread now.

I know plasmas would suffer from burn in... but I have an LCD Rear projection TV ( Hitachi 50V500A ). Is this still a bad idea to do ?

Thanks,
CamG

#98 ·
LCD technology is not subject to burn-in so you you'll be fine. The whole point of using a big-screen TV with a PC is why Home Theatre Personal Computers are becoming so popular, i.e.: Windows XP Media Centre PCs and the like.
Of course, try to use the best possible connection to get the best possible resolution. If your TV has a VGA input, use it and then match your PCs videocard output to match your TVs native resolution.

#99 ·
Thanks 57, excellent information. Tried pretty much everything and no success. I did however get info from a tech person at audiotronic and they mentioned that there is a dvi cable config for lcd monitors (desktop monitor) and a different pin config standard for lcd tv's - hence the reason why I am not getting reception. I knew there were different dvi formats, but the pin config seems the same, so I am back to ground zero. Not sure if his explanation makes sense.

The only thing I can think of is to get a hd rogers 3250 with an actual dvi output on the back of the box and try using the dvi to dvi cable that came with the monitor..

#100 ·
kemontgo:

It's strange that you are having this problem with your DVI input with your Rogers STB. I have the 2407WFP and have it connected to my 8300HDPVR once in awhile using an HDMI/DVI cable and never have any problems.
Try turning the monitor on first and make sure you've selected the DVI input. Then turn on the STB to make sure they are "shaking hands".

#101 ·
Like cyclism, I have hooked my 8300HD up via a HDMI to DVI cable to my Gateway HDCP LCD monitor and had no problems. I have read that Dell monitors may not be fully HDCP compliant so frankly I think your problem could be the monitor.

The fact that you get the Rogers box working with your Westinghouse LCD, certainly points to the monitor.

#102 ·
You can try the DVI-DVI and the SA3250HD, however, people have had more problems with the SA3250HD than with the SA8300HD. Most times these problems are related to the monitor as mentioned earlier.

What is the make/model of the Dell? Are you absolutely sure it has DVI-HDCP? A lot of these smaller monitors do not.

#103 ·
Monitor model - specs

Thanks everyone for replying. Interesting that the gateway model isn't causing this problem as my monitor has simliar specs.

Does anyone know what the ideal resolution (1080i/720p etc) is the ideal match for a 1680 x 1050 resolution? I know I can purchase a component to dvi cable and therefore connect to the stb, but I would rather figure out a dvi/hdmi approach.

57, the model is below:

E207WFP 20'' Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Analog / DVI-D (Digital) with HDCP

Excerpt:

The E207WFP 20'' Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor from Dell™ improves productivity and provides immersive multimedia/gaming experience and allows ease of photo/video editing. Featuring a slim black bezel design, the E207WFP fits into most working environments and on most desktops. It offers DVI (Digital Video Interface) connector with HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) Ready that enables viewing of protected high-definition content such as HD-format video. Built-in power and cable management feature helps to keep desk clutter-free. Also, the display screen can be tilted 4° forward and 21° backwards for viewing comfort. This display is compatible with Dell™ AS501PA Flat Panel Attached Sound Bar (sold separately) that adds multimedia capabilities to the flat panel display. Dell™-branded monitors undergo exhaustive testing for performance, reliability, durability and compatibility with Dell™ systems.

#104 ·
Am I buying the right cables? (PC to HDTV hookup)

I'm just trying to figure out which cables to buy for hooking my computer to my TV. I'm getting the Panasonic TH42PX60 which has two HDMI inputs. So one will be an hdmi cable between the HDTV box and the TV, and the other I was planning on using to hook my computer into it.

The graphics card I have is BFG Geforce 6600 and it says it has the connectors are "Dual DVI-I, HDTV / S-Video Out".

I was looking at this cable from monoprice. (it's a "HDMI DVI Tin-Plated Copper Cable (22AWG) - 25ft (Gold Plated) [TP]")

Am I doing anything wrong yet? It seems pretty simple to me, DVI out from the computer to HDMI in on the TV.

Right now I just run s-video and composite audio cable between the computer and my present TV and I'm assuming I'll still have to run the composite cable for audio (because I just have a basic run of the mill soundcard)?

#105 ·
Everything you're doing sounds right, but you should search out your make of tv and make sure others are connecting their PC's successfully. Sometimes you can, but you are limited to only one resolution. Or, find the manual for the tv online and read up on connecting a pc to the tv.

#111 ·
The manual I read said nothing about not being able to do it... just that panasonic didn't recommend it.

If they recommended it they'd get thousands of tech support calls from people trying to do that and they'd end up trying to resolve graphics card issues instead of TV issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.