Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

All About HDTVs as a PC or Laptop Monitor

135K views 528 replies 182 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
As I shopped for an HDTV, I got the uncomfortable feeling that few were PC friendly. Most new models sport HDMI inputs. Contrary to what I read in many AV magazines, HDMI isn't a backward compatible evolution of the DVI interface. This White Paper from the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) explains the incompatibility between personal computers and consumer electronics. In short:
A major contributing factor to this growing problem is the use of similar (and in some cases identical) digital interfaces used in both markets. Examples include the DVI and HDMI specifications, both of which are based on a common electrical interface definition and which are showing up more and more in both entertainment and PC systems. There is a growing likelihood of consumers having products of both types in their homes, and the apparent compatibility naturally leads the consumer to believe that such products will interoperate. However, due to the current incompatibilities between PC and CE industry standards and typical industry practices, a consumer attempting to connect CE and PC products will very often find that they do not work well together as expected.
The whole point of an HTPC is to connect it to a high definition display. Many people in this forum are having problems doing this. So, I thought I would start a thread that would specifically identify those high definition monitors and TVs that can't be connected to a PC or that do not allow the PC to use the panel's full native resolution.

#261 ·
1366x768 on my laptop?

Here's a question:

I just picked up a Dell M1210. Is there a way to get it to output at 1366x768 for my Sharp 32" LCD tv? The highest resolution I can get currently is 1024x768. I have a Geforce 7400 2go video if that helps at all. I'm connecting via S-Video through my Pioneer receiver.

Thanks!

#264 ·
HDTV With a Computer

I am at the point where I am ready to buy a HDTV. However, at the same time, I also want to buy a large screen monitor for a computer, which I also plan to upgrade. Being big ticket items, I thought a good way to go, if possible, is to buy say a 30" monitor and try and run HDTV through it. I already have cable with an HDTV box with an HDMI output. Is there a computer card that would allow me to plug right into it to view the content from my cable provider? How is the picture going to look compared to a regular HDTV monitor? Or would the reverse be better, going from the computer to an HDTV set? Which 30" monitor is the best? Are there any that will run on a single DVI output. I know the Apple and I think the Dell require dual DVI output cards.

#265 ·
Is there a computer card that would allow me to plug right into it to view the content from my cable provider?
No, you need to connect directly from the STB to the TV/Monitor. Be aware that the monitor must have HDCP if it's DVI (many "computer monitors" don't have HDCP)

Please put your service provider and location into your UserCP Profile (location). It'll help us help you since the equipment varies. What is the make/model of your Cable STB?

See also: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#267 ·
If that PVR has a firewire output and if the channels are not 5C protected, then you can probably connect from the PVR to the computer. I believe that in the US the local channels are not 5C protected, however some others may be. The firewire connection is usually a bit tricky to set up - requiring the correct card, computer, software, etc. This is mostly used for recording.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

You can use S-video from the PVR to the computer, but then you'd have a 480i signal instead of HD.

From a video standpoint, HDMI is a display connection (ie between a device and a display, not between devices)

#269 ·
Connecting a PC to a HD TV - NO SOUND

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, firsttime poster.

I recently picked up an HP Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8GHz Media Center TV Computer (A1767C), and attempted to connect it to My Samsung 32' tv ( LNt3242H)

I can get it to show video when I connect eithier through a straight VGA cable or through a DVI-to HDMI interface....but for the life of me I cannot get it to play sound from the computer.

Is this even possible? I have tried a few different connections but now I am starting to think I may need to purchase external speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#270 ·
superkev74 -
You haven't mentioned what cable you're connecting for audio (which you're expecting to get sound through). The VGA cable and DVI-to-HDMI attempts you mention will not work for sound. VGA and DVI do not carry sound data. You'll need another cable connection for that. Audio-out of the computer to audio-in on either the TV (if it has it) or better yet, a Home Theatre Receiver if you have one.

#271 ·
Panasonic TH-42PX75

I have a Panasonic TH-42PX75 connected to a Asus V9400 GeForce MX 4000 via a 4' DVI to HDMI cable. Using the Nvidia Control Panel, it has changed my resolution 1216 x 684 @ 60 Hz which perfectly fills up the screen.

With this resolution I can view DVD's, video files, images, and web browsing, all with no problem.

The problem I am running into is if I try to play a PC game. I tried playing Monopoly (I figured it was basic as far as graphics are concerned) and the screen went black and the input label shows up and then the game loads, unfortunately it looks terrible. It looks like two separate images are overlapped with one being slightly lower than the other. Needless to say I cannot play PC games like that.

To me it seems like the PC is changing resolutions to accomodate the game. Is there any way to prevent this, force programs to operate in 1216 x 684? Or make whatever resolution it is changing to not look so bad?

This TV does not have a PC input, would I be better off getting a graphics card with component output? Or S-video?

#273 ·
In this case (and I have no special allegiance to "Monopoly", it's just a basic game that I was testing this with) the game in question has a Full Screen option, but it is greyed out.

If I set Windows to 800 x 600, the color looks perfect but the desktop is stretched just outside the viewable area.

If I set it to 1024 x 768, it looks like 2 desktop are overlapping with one being just a few milimeters below the other. It practically gives me a stroke.

If I used Nvidia control panel to get 1216 x 684 the desktop fits perfectly in the viewable area, however the color does not look as good as when it's in 800 x 600, but it is still perfectly usable.

In all three resolutions, the game ends up looking just like the desktop in 1024 x 768 mode. Like two images overlapped with one being slightly lower.

Even if we forget about Monopoly, has anyone experienced this problem with the Windows desktop when setting their PC to 1024 x 768 (or ANY resolution) on this or any Plasma TV? Does anyone know if it is related to the refresh rate, or resolution?

#274 ·
LN T4665F PC input doesn't work :S

Hey guys I'm kinda a newbie here and would like some help with my new TV

i tried hooking up my laptop to the LN T4665F through a standard VGA connection but i can't get it to be used as a seperate monitor

my vid card is the nvidia geforce 8400M GS and I can only get it to work on the "extended monitor" mode and not as a seperate screen. even then it only outputs 1600x1000 and not 1920x1080

hvnt tried using an hdmi connection yet as i hvnt picked up my cables yet

any ideas on why it doesnt work ?

i have a 22 inch samsung that i can use to get 1680x1050 so i dont know why i cant get higher than 1600 on the tv which has a higher native resolution

Edit - post moved to existing thread

#275 ·
VGA Input Appears But Nothing Else

Hello again,

I finally purchased a VGA cable to go between my computer and my TV and now when I go between the various sources "VGA" is listed but the screen remains blank.

FYI, my video card is using "ATI Catalyst Centre" if that is of any help.

Also, I changed my desktop resolution to 800 x 600 but that did nothing.

Help is appreciated like always.

Curtis

#276 · (Edited by Moderator)
Help setting up PC to HDTV

I currently upgraded my computer system with faster processor, graphics ect so I can download movies and do gaming. I have a 53 inch HDTV Rear projection tv 1080I with DVI and want to be able to view my movies, music, photos off the 2nd hard drive on my tv and maybe use the TV as a monitor.
I just purchased a DVI cable, I used to use a S video cable but I was told this is much better

Here is the run down of what I had and did to try to connect and my issues

Turned computer and TV off, connected DVI cable to video card and restarted

When they both come up, on the HDTV all I see is the background of the PC desktop, but the image only, no Icons, no start menu, nothing. The PC monitor shows as normal.

I also have a Diamond TV Tuner card with BEYOND TV/MEDIA software installed and the coax cable plugs directly into the tv tuner card since I don’t have a cable box., it also comes with a FIREFLY remote control for controlling the Beyond software.

I have my sound connected by a audio cable from PC to my A/V receiver for my surround speakers.

My video card is a Nvidia card, brand new card I just purchased. I went into the video card settings, and set it to Dual mode so I can set separate settings for both monitor and TV. I went to resulution settimgs and was able to choose 1080I for the HDTV , however now the picture on the TV is shrunk now with large black areas on the sides. It give me the option to shrink or englarge the edges but that didnt help.

I currently have to open my movie or whatever using the mouse, once open I have to drag it to the TV, then open it wide, however it doesn’t fully do a full/wide screen so I can still see some of the player window.

This is a big pain in the butt. I can use the remote control to see the menus on the tv but sometimes when I full screen it, it pops back to the PC monitor and I have to manually re-drag t back to the TV.

What I want to know. is there a easier way to do this? I have heard the HDTV is great for movies but bad for regular viewing or web surfing as a main monitor.
in dual mode.

Is there a way where I can just the firefly remote or whatever to open the movies n such on my TV without having to manually use the mouse each time?

Also, even with the DVI cable, it really does not look as clear as it should.

I really know nothing about setting this up, Im anewbie at this and have searched this forum but cannot find anything to help me.

Thanks guys in advance!

#277 ·
I had these same problems (and many others) when I was using my ATI AIW 9800pro in dual-view mode. I assume that the BeyondTV interface (i.e. home screen) only shows up on the PC monitor and not the TV?

Is there any option to use only the television as the display with no computer monitor at all? I had a much easier time setting up the proper resolution etc. once I dedicated the computer to the television and did everything with that single display.

Or perhaps you could use 'clone mode' (both screens shows the same picture), although the very different resolutions of your television and computer monitor could add more problems than it solves.

By the way, what player are you actually using to play the videos? If you're using BeyondTV, shouldn't the played media take over the display fullscreen? How are you dragging it over to the TV?

#278 ·
VGA to HD Television not Working

Hi everyone, first post here hopefully someone smart here can help me.
And I hope its in the right subforum!

I'm trying to connect my computer screen to my television so then whatever is playing on my computer screen is instantly projected onto my TV.
Handy for live sporting events over the internet

Except I cant get it to work

My HDTV is a 52 inch RCA that only had a DVI-D connection at the back where I can hook up my VGA cable to. The VGA cable is connected to a DVI-d connector like this: http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/ehkseller/RIMG0233_001.JPG

But when I want to play whatever's on my computer it doesnt transfer to my TV and I get a black screen.

Here's a youtube clip to explain better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flp5UDG8iWc

What am I doing wrong?????
Can someone help please????

#281 · (Edited)
The DVI-D input connector on your TV is digital. VGA is analog. You need a video card with a DVI-D, or HDMI, or component video output for your TV.

The connector shown (by the jpg) is an adapter not a converter. It's meant to adapt a DVI-I output (from a video card) to a monitor VGA input. Some video cards uses a DVI-I connector to carry both the digital (for DVI-D interface) and analog video signals for VGA interface. The DVD-I connector has 4 extra pins around the long blade pin (Ground) for the analog VGA video signals (Red, Green, Blue, Sync and Ground). An adapter (similar to the one you shown) plugged into the DVI-I connector of the Video card, routes these 5 analog signals to the appropriate pins on the VGA end of the adapter which is then connected to a monitor VGA input. The DVI end shown on the jpg adapter is not even a DVI-I since it's missing these 4 analog pins. Even if your adapter had the correct DVI-I end, it would still be useless for your application.

For more info on DVI/HDMI, see this FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17873

#283 ·
Question about Monitor for HTPC computer?

Hi Ive got my HTCP computer setup now I need to look into the monitor. Im wondering about HDMI capability. If the monitor has HDMI can I then hook my HDMI cable to my LCD tv and play Hi-def movies off of my cpu on to my TV in true HD? What would be the purpose of getting an HDMI outlet on my monitor? My CPU also has an HDMI plug in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.