USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 10:07 AM

jbracing24,
Thanks for your review & feedback!

In response to #6, you may hear the clicks from the Remote Control program that is also running. Check this FAQ: How can I turn off the 'Click' sound when changing channels?

In response to #7, what would your ideal User Guide look like? Which parts do you think AutumnWave could improve upon?

In reference to 'City-DT'... in the CH Manager, click the [Add CH] button. Type in the physical channel number/frequency (such as 53) and click [x] Until Receive. The GT will repeatedly attempt to pull in the station. You can try adjusting the antenna (if possible). You may also find the SNR (signal-to-noise) meter helpful. Look in the upper-left corner of the Operation Control window while the GT is attempting to tune. You'd typically want something at orabove 20dB. (see below image)

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/

Last edited by stampeder; 2006-11-28 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post
jbracing24,Thanks for your review &
feedback!
Thank you. I would also like to try running the GT on my MCE digital studio PC. I am using this to PVR all my satellite program in SD and I don't want to mess up what I have going. I see reference to "Disable MCE Scheduler" in the Options box. My PC came with factory loaded MCE 2004 and I was sent the 2005 Upgrade, since Rollup2 etc.so it is updated MCE. Your website has a page indicating that the GT is now MCE compatible. Are there any pointers I should know about before proceeding? Like I said, I don't want any conflicts. I would rather leave MYTV alone and have it run as a separate entity, as long as I can store recorded programs in the video partition of the hard drive of (165GB).

Quote:
In response to #6, you may hear the clicks from the Remote Control program that is also running. Check this FAQ:
This box is unchecked and I still hear the sound. I found this entry from you at AVS: Right-click the Remocon icon (in the system notification area) and choose "Options". Uncheck the 2nd option, and the 'click' sound should go away!

Quote:
In response to #7, what would your ideal User Guide look like? Which parts do you think AutumnWave could improve upon?
Like I mentioned, most User Guides leave a lot to be desired, especially when you are expected to "print your own". Most guides fail to provide any depth to the index, so that information is easier to find, especially when troubleshooting problems.

Quote:
In reference to 'City-DT'...
Not being familiar with the Niagara area, you may not know that City-DT is directional to the north due to conflicts with a yet unused digital assignment in the Buffalo area. I tried your method last night but couldn't get a true lock. Too bad, but not a surprise even though some Buffalo residents say they can pick it up. I will try again on a good night.

So, I would appreciate your assurances on the MCE questions I raised. Thanks for your ongoing help.
post #78 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 12:36 PM

jbracing24,
Scroll down a bit more on that FAQ I linked to you in my previous post. It actually includes screenshots of the Remote Control program setting that you found on the AVS Forum

As for MCE compatibility, we have yet another FAQ on that topic: Media Center 2005 Support. If you need more clarification, please let me know (either posting here, PM, or email.)

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #79 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 01:32 PM

Canadian Availability

I see that several people here are from Toronto.
Is expansys still the only place to purchase the OnAir GT for Canadians?
Wal-Mart in the US has the unit for less than $170USD, so $235 + shipping from exansys seems a little rich.

Thanks!
post #80 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imckay View Post
I see that several people here are from Toronto.
Is expansys still the only place to purchase the OnAir GT for Canadians?
expansys.ca supplies the GT through Mobileplanet in Bloomington IL. They charged me $213.91 CDN plus 7% sales tax. So work out the exchange and you can see the better price. I would be surprised if any US supplier would give free shipping to Canada.
Just remember, you will have to pay the import duties and that is dependent on the carrier. UPS is known to be exorbitant and they charged me $25.95 CDN. I don't believe anyone in Canada has the OnAir GT in stock.
post #81 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 03:15 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Hey everyone:

I just checked the AutumnWave website and they have released new drivers and updated the program for the OnAir GT. A list of fixes and improvements is also there.

I have yet to install them but will do so as soon as I have the chance (tonight) and will post my findings.
post #82 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 03:35 PM

I'm eager to see how much the new portable TVs will go for starting in March, when digital tuners will be required in ALL TVs, regardless of screen size...
post #83 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post
I'm eager to see how much the new portable TVs will go for starting in March, when digital tuners will be required in ALL TVs, regardless of screen size...
But this will not be a requirement in Canada:

Just like CableCards are not required.
Just like STBs with active Firewire are not required.
Just like no deadline for analog to digital transition.

Although since it is a requirement in the US then the TVs will all be built for the US so all North American models will likely be built to US specs. But they have already been required for TVs from 25"-35" for 9 months, have they not? I seem to recall lots of TVs without digital tuners for sale in FS and BB.
post #84 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
released new drivers and updated the program for the OnAir GT
Thanks. I'll check it over too.
post #85 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-07, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Ryan again to the rescue

Just a word of warning to updating the GT program, make sure you exit from timer and remote control programs first (icons in right system tray). If you are using the tuner up to the point of update, they'll probably be open and the new program will not install properly. Thank you Ryan for a 5 minute response to my email, a phone call no less!!
I always save these downloads to desktop until successful, so, in the event of a problem like this, it's there for a second attempt.
Nice to see that the GT program retains your previously scanned channels.
post #86 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-10, 12:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
Nice to see that the GT program retains your previously scanned channels.
Yes, very nice. The recording schedule was also retained even though I've done 3 loads, due to stupid Windows newbie mistakes. Now I know what Windows users feel like when trying out linux the first time

The tuner is definitely more sensitive than the Samsung TS 160 I've used up til now. You've heard of "Tropospheric Ducting"? Well I've got another type of ducting. I'm in the 5th storey of a 10-storey condo building, with a south-facing bay window. I have a CM4221 antenna and a pre-amp in my living room. But, there's a 15-storey building directly in line of sight between me and Grand Island, where most of the Buffalo stations have their transmitters, so no direct reception of Buffalo, but the local channels come in great.

But if I swing my antenna another 45 degrees west until it no longer faces out the window, but points at the air duct (hot in winter, cold in summer) the TS 160 can pick up WNED. But reception is somewhat flakey. With the AutumnWave, WNED comes in much better, and I also get WIVB and WNLO. WIVB is a bit flakey on occasion, but not as bad as WNED with the Samsung. This is the same antenna plus pre-amp. The only change is that the coax from the antenna is plugged into a different tuner. WIVB is stable at about 18 or 19 db. Any lower, and it starts breaking up.

Right now, I'm "enjoying the full glory" of a 17 inch computer monitor sitting on top of a cart. Late February, I'll be getting the real thing.
post #87 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-10, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
But if I swing my antenna another 45 degrees west until it no longer faces out the window
That wouldn't even be possible with the T-451. I can point my antenna north toward Hamilton for 15-1 repeater and with the Autumnwave GT also get most of Buffalo and Toronto without moving the rotor position. The T-451 get's only 15-1. I would be surprised, though, if the "sweetspot" remains constant all year and in all types of weather.
post #88 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
Just a word of warning to updating the GT program, make sure you exit from timer and remote control programs first (icons in right system tray).
jbracing24,
I did research this issue. On most systems, the installer is able to quit the Scheduler & Remote Control program automatically. In a few rare cases, Windows doesn't allow the installer to quit automatically. It is rare to see this happen, but I'll keep an eye on the issue. I may add an extra step to the Upgrade procedure on our website.

Thanks for your feedback! It was a pleasure speaking to you on the phone.

Regarding the new software, we're aware of a bug with IE7 that prevents TitanTV functionality from working. We're testing a possible workaround. (In the meantime, you can use Firefox or IE6, which work fine with TitanTV.)

- Ryan Pertusio

post #89 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 08:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
jbracing24,
I did research this issue. On most systems, the installer is able to quit the Scheduler & Remote Control program automatically. In a few rare cases, Windows doesn't allow the installer to quit automatically. It is rare to see this happen, but I'll keep an eye on the issue. I may add an extra step to the Upgrade procedure on our website.
Related question; the OnAir GT device must *NOT* be connected when first installing the original driver/program combo. Does it have to be disconnected when upgrading to a newer driver/program combo?
post #90 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 09:20 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Walter:

According to the instructions , you should have the unit unplugged from your PC before installing the new driver. Once the driver is installed you can connect the unit to the PC. You can then install the new program.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.