USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-26, 02:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
And then there's this one from Autumn Wave.

http://www.autumnwave.com/content/view/30/166/

It's been getting some favourable reviews, notably from CNet and HDTVExpert, but the only place to buy it right now is from the manufacturer.
There is a Canadian website... http://www.expansys.ca/p.aspx?i=140064
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-26, 11:00 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Walter DNes:

Yes, the expansys site was already referenced in a previous post in this thread, and another poster has purchased from that site. Please read the entire thread before posting.
post #63 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-26, 04:54 PM
Veteran

Hauppauge PVR-950 USB-ATSC/NTSC tuner

This device is currently on sale at BestBuy for $89.

Initial impressions-
The install process is kind of dumb - you install the drivers, then wipe them out with something called hwclear, reboot and then reinstall drivers. After my unit is installed it shows up as a WinTV-HVR-980??? Why not a 950 or is this a slightly later unit - but it says 950 right on the unit.

Currently I have this connected to my laptop as that makes it easier to try it out in different positions.

My antenna is a CM4221 - it is not physically mounted to anything right now - I have it sitting on a chair in my deck. I live in Scarborough on the bluffs by the southern end of Markham Rd. I have clear line of sight south to the lake, but some obstructions to the southwest (CN tower).

After hooking up and scanning it found about 24 channels but only one from Toronto (CBLT). I appear to scan in all of the Buffalo and Rochester channels, including a channel called TheTube.

I haven't had too much time to play around but I am able to tune in and get a picture on all of the Buffalo channels. I haven't been able to tune in all of the Rochester channels yet but that may require a more precise antenna alignment.

So far I am unable to tune in CBLT and scans haven't even found any other Toronto stations. This is the case even when I have tried pointing the antenna towards the CN tower.

One potential future problem - the USB stick/tuner runs VERY HOT. There are also two ports on the unit - one seems like a DC power port, the other looks like a mini USB port but is smaller than your typically mini-USB.

post #64 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-26, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Here's Hauppauge's web page on the USB HVR-950:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...ta_hvr950.html
post #65 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 01:00 AM
Veteran

Autumnwave OnAir GT review

I’ll preface my review by saying “we’ve got a winner here”.
In the short time I’ve had the Autumnwave OnAir GT, I have not had the opportunity to do any recording, so I limit my remarks to setup and reception/viewing.

My notebook is a Sony Vaio FS980 with the following specs…
Processor
Type: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740
Speed: 1.73GHz
Front Side Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Technology: Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology
Memory
Type: DDR2
Installed: 1GB (512MBx2) PC2-4200
Maximum: 2GB
Speed: 533MHz
Hard Drive
Capacity: 80GB
Speed: 4200rpm
Interface: Ultra ATA
Graphics
Processor: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Video RAM: 128MB Dynamically Shared (RAM/Video)
Memory
Chipset: Intel® 915GM
Interface: VGA Out with Smart Display Sensor

1. Setup: I think you’ll have a good idea about how my setup went if you go back through this thread. Be sure to use the updated driver and apps from the website after you have followed the Getting Started instructions. As you can see, Ryan Pertusio took time on his day off to help me initialize the driver in Windows (see his links). Remarkable support I’d say.
2. Connections: I am glad that the GT allows both a composite/S Vid connection and an antenna RF connection. I have run a satellite composite feed and a coax antenna feed to a remote location and switching between OTA and satellite is simply done by changing inputs in the menu. (I can control the satellite box with a UHF remote.
3. ATSC channel scanning: First, I did a full scan with the supplied portable antenna. I was able to pick up 23-1, 43-1/2/3 and 4-1/2 by raising the unit to arm’s length above the notebook (as far as the USB cable would allow). By attaching the unit to my CM 4228 on a 30ft tower with rotor I was able to pick up every channel in the area. In fact, comparing the GT with my Samsung 451 STB, I found that I could receive more channels in certain rotor locations than the Samsung, leading me to believe that the GT tuner is superior; only being limited by the quality of the antenna it is attached to. Don’t expect much from the supplied antenna.
4. Picture quality of ATSC: Outstanding video on a 15.4” widescreen notebook. Everything I’ve come to expect from Digital OTA. The NVidia PureVideo Decoder does its job well.
5. Satellite: The GT gives you a video input cable which I attached to a Star Choice DSR 405. Switching inputs gave me all subscribed SD channels. The OnAir GT is not capable of rendering HD channels through the video inputs but HD channels could have been viewed in 480 resolution if a newer HD-STB had been connected.
6. Remote: Works as expected. I could do without the channel changing “clicks”, even after the menu box for this was left unchecked. The remote power button saves looking for screen icons to start the process.
7. User guide: The online guide is 87 pages and I don’t have that much paper to print it out. Perhaps I will get through more of its contents so I can experiment with recording video, but with only 50 gigs left on the 80 gig drive, I’m going to leave most of my recording to my MCE machine anyway. As with many electronics products the User Guide is the weakest link I’ve found.

Hugh, I look forward to your review of the Autumnwave OnAir GT.
post #66 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 01:37 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
jbracing:

I'm glad you liked the OnAir as well. It's a neat little device. And yes, Ryan's support is amazing. I've been emailing him directly with some questions and he has never failed ot answer in a very short time.

Yes, I also await hugh's review.
post #67 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm glad you liked the OnAir as well.
Aside from the review, I wanted to mention the "remote location" I referred to. All be it we will probably be seeing winter in Southern Ontario by the end of the week (can you believe +13 degrees right now!), the OTA coax and the composite satellite cables are fed through a 1 inch conduit to a gazebo built on the deck at the back of the house. From my office location, where the satellite box resides to the gazebo is only a twelve foot run. I wanted TV in the garden but I never thought it would be so good. I have a feeling that much of the 2007 Nascar season will be spent out there. I feel like a spoiled brat
post #68 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 12:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Thanks jbracing24 for your review of the Autumnwave OnAir GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
In fact, comparing the GT with my Samsung 451 STB, I found that I could receive more channels in certain rotor locations than the Samsung, leading me to believe that the GT tuner is superior; only being limited by the quality of the antenna it is attached to.
That is no surprise as the GT uses a 5th generation chipset and the 451 uses older technology (I am not sure which generation). To be fair, the new Samsung DTB-H260F also uses a 5th generation chipset and should provide similar performance to the GT.
post #69 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 04:47 PM
Veteran

One thing I forgot to mention with the Hauppauge PVR-950 unit. I hooked it up to my Rogers cable and did an ATSC scan and it did not find anything so it can't tune in QAM channels - unless I was scanning the wrong source. Note that there is no QAM source.
post #70 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 05:13 PM

Hi Wayne:

If you go back to Page 4 of this thread, we have already noted the fact that the HVR-950 does not have a QAM tuner.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2006-11-27 at 06:05 PM.
post #71 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Hi Wayne:

If you go back to Page 4 of this thread, we have already noted the fact that the PVR-950 does not have a QAM tuner.
I didn't really expect it to have QAM - but I believe I remember that some devices that weren't marketed as having QAM capabilities actually did so that is why I thought I'd give it a try.
post #72 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
By attaching the unit to my CM 4228 on a 30ft tower with rotor I was able to pick up every channel in the area.
so you are able to get City-dt from Thorold jbracing24? I figured it would be possible, since i've read of two people now in the Lockport/Queenston area that are able to pick up city-dt with decent equipment.
post #73 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 11:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 026163 View Post
so you are able to get City-dt from Thorold jbracing24?
Sorry, I lied! I don't even think about City-DT anymore so I never even tried. I might just give it a try but I don't think it will work. When I do a channel scan, I aim the antenna at Buffalo and then add the Canadian channels in the opposite direction, one at a time. I'll let you know what I get.
post #74 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 12:09 AM
Veteran

City-TV scan

The GT cannot get a lock on City-DT from here. As with the Samsung 451 (one to two bars) the GT scans for 53-1, locks OK but the PSIP Timeout is the best it can do. The signal is too directional even for this new tuner, since I can get all the other channels off the CN Tower.
post #75 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 01:27 AM

here's my results with hauppauge 950

http://www.chinasmile.net/forums/att...1&d=1164386533

you know i live the 20th floora in a condo and my room faces to the north.
am i lucky?

but the 950 eats my more cpu (about 80%). i have returned it to the store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.