USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 10:46 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Wayne:

Yes, that's what I meant when I wrote "try out".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
COOL! Since it's Best Buy I may just buy one to try out for a spin.
That would make an interesting review. UPS has my GT on the truck for delivery today. I'll give it a workout over the weekend and report back.
post #48 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 01:25 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
As someone had asked earlier, doing a comparison of the two units is ideal. I'll try and do it sometime in the next week.
The thing I'm most interested in (since they pretty much do the same thing, the Hauppauge and the OnAir) are the differences, i.e.: tuner strength, aesthetics, software, etc...
BTW, I know I promised those Picture-by-Picture, uh....pictures, of my PDP displaying the OTA HD from my PC via the OnAir vs. Rogers Cable HD, but my digital camera just died. Great, a new toy that I have to buy.

post #49 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
(since they pretty much do the same thing, the Hauppauge and the OnAir)
One difference is the OnAir has a QAM tuner and the Hauppage does not.
post #50 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 02:15 PM

roger1818:

Yes, another difference is that the Hauppauge unit does not come with a remote control. It's not important if you're always using the tuner to view HD on your notebook and can control the software with a mouse, but for using it as an external tuner for a HTPC setup it may be a factor.

I'm really only interested in testing the HD capabilities of either tuner, which is only available via OTA ATSC and not through unscrambled Cable QAM, in Canada, anyway.

But I'll test the Hauppauge with my Rogers Cable feed to see what I can get, just out of curiousity as I did with the OnAir.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2006-11-24 at 02:31 PM.
post #51 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The thing I'm most interested in (since they pretty much do the same thing, the Hauppauge and the OnAir) are the differences, i.e.: tuner strength, aesthetics, software, etc...
What I'm really interested in is the CPU usage on the Hauppauge. The review posted earlier mentioned very high levels, to the choking point. Also, I don't see any other video inputs other than the RF. The OnAir allows composite/SVid and RF, so one could actually hook up two sources at once. But, you can't fault the price, if it does the job.
post #52 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 04:13 PM
Member #1

Received an OnAirGT so I'll be trying it out this weekend and report back!
post #53 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Installation problems

Well, I just got my GT and followed the "Getting started" instructions, leaving the unit not connected to install the CD driver and then connecting it for the rest of the installation. Everything seemed OK. I clicked on the desktop icon for the GT and up came the channel scan menu. I tried selecting only OTA digital, but before I could do anything else, the boxes disappeared. After that, I got the message "Failed drivers..." I went to Autumnwave and downloaded the GT program and the driver on the home page. Now, all I get is the Microsoft report error page.
I guess I might have to wait until Ryan is back in the office on Monday. I imagine I'll have to delete and reinstall everything, but I'm certainly not going into "remove programs" and delete something valuable.
Any suggestions? I kinda knew this would happen!!
post #54 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 06:17 PM

Try installing the driver from the AutumnWave website. It should overwrite the driver you installed from the CD. Then connect the unit for your PC to recognize it. Then install the programm apps. Again, it should just overwrite the ones you've already installed without having to remove them first.
post #55 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 06:45 PM
Veteran

I still get "Failure to initialize capture driver...exit and check capture driver". When I reinstall the program apps from the website, I get a message that one of the files is locked and cannot be removed, so I double clicked ignore to get the rest to delete and reload.
post #56 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
After that, I got the message "Failed drivers..."
jbracing24,
Check the Device Manager. Right-click the HDTV tuner (under Sound, Video & Game controllers) and [Update Driver...]. Remember to click [continue anyway] on the unsigned driver message.

- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/
post #57 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 07:08 PM
Veteran

Woooow! What are you doing up at this hour?
Device Manager? I've heard of it but where is it? You're going to have to go slowly with me.
post #58 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 07:18 PM

I'm technically not at work, but I did see your email arrive

Check these 2 FAQs on AutumnWave's website:
Manually installing/updating OnAir tuner drivers
- or -
Error: Failed to initialize capture driver...

- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/
post #59 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 07:40 PM
Veteran

Well, that got me going...thank you. Now to figure out how to scan, I just have a tuner and a blank page...to the User Guide...Hugh...are you watching?
post #60 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-25, 01:35 PM

For those of you that want to try this,
seems like a good price on the Hauppauge unit

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...E&promoid=1058

Work just around corner from one of their stores, so picked one up
Full retail boxed version of the WINTV-HVR-950

Should I put this in Digital Deals Forum?

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.