USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:37 PM

OTA HDTV in Oakville?

I am considering buying an HDTV tuner for my PC but I am not sure about the reception in my area (Dundas & 3rd Line), anybody has any idea how I could check before I invest in the hardware?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:45 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
NBAraps:

Go to the OTA Forum and read the threads regarding reception in your location.
post #33 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 12:01 PM
Veteran

For those interested, another review of the USB 2.0 HDTV-GT Receiver tested by Cyclism:
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/onair.html

Please note I am not endorsing this product as I have not tried it. I am just posting additional resources for those who might be interested.

post #34 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyfreeze View Post
I'd be interested in a comparative review with the Hauppauge 950 since I've seen that listing for just over a $100 at some online retailers in Canada.
I too have been looking at both products. The review link from post 15 kinda gives me the "willies" about CPU usage. It said, in part:

"Anyway, I found that for standard TV, the HVR 950 required about 45-50% of the CPUs power. That is a fairly significant percentage given the power of the Core 2 at 2.16 GHz. But it does its job well, so I am not going to complain. Clearly, this TV Tuner uses software based decoding, but as long as you have a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo processor you should be fine. Based on my previous experience with software based TV tuner a Pentium M or lesser CPU would choke.
High Definition TV was another matter entirely. When using the standard antenna to receive over-the-air HDTV, it required as much as 75% of my Core 2 (2.16 GHz) processor’s power. Clearly, decoding live HDTV is a beast of a task, and one task that you would probably need a T2500/T7200 processor to successfully run with some head room to spare for additional background programs."

I have a Sony FS980, 1.73 GHz, 1GB Ram. Since I have invested heavily into a good outdoor DT antenna plus Star Choice satellite, it would make sense to purchase a tuner that could handle both when in the home environment. The OnAir looks promising.
post #35 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 12:12 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
After reading the review of the Hauppage, I tested the OnAir's CPU usage when viewing OTA HDTV.

With Direct X Video Acceleration on in conjunction with the nVidia Pure Video decoder for OTA HDTV it required about 10 - 15% CPU usage on my Core 2 2GHz processor.

With it Direct X Video Acceleration off, the CPU usage was over 50%.

Telling numbers, indeed.
post #36 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 12:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
With it Direct X Video Acceleration off, the CPU usage was over 50%.Telling numbers, indeed.
So, my Pentium M would probably be at the choking point
post #37 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 12:29 PM

I did try out the OnAir on my friend's Dell Latitude D810 which has a Centrino 1.86GHz (with 2 GHz RAM, albeit) and an ATI X600 video card, and it worked fine. I didn't check the CPU usage, but we didn't see any stuttering or anything else indicative of high CPU consumption. Although, to be frank, we also were not multitasking.
Check the autumnwave website for the minimal requirements for it to work.
post #38 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 01:44 PM

jbracing24,
You can check my CPU usage on page 2 of this thread. You'll find that many tuners will use software decoding. The quality of the decoder plays a large role in CPU usage (other than the hardware itself.) The OnAir tuner ships with the nVidia PureVideo Decoder, which (if you look around the web) is usually regarded as the best decoder available.

A good indication of how HDTV will look on your computer is to view our HDTV sample clip.You'll need 2 programs installed to view the sample, which you can find at our website:

Keep in mind, the above files use the 'InterVideo' decoder (because we can't distribute the nVidia PureVideo Decoder freely on the web.) If you do purchase the OnAir GT, you'd get the PureVideo license, and you'd see even better performance.

Thanks,

- Ryan Pertusio
AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/

Last edited by rpertusio; 2006-11-14 at 01:46 PM. Reason: formatting
post #39 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Thanks for your help here and online support. I think I will make a purchase from the Canadian supplier listed earlier. Is that the only place?
post #40 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 02:22 PM

The only retailers I know of offhand are Expansys.ca and US retailers like CopperBox

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/
post #41 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-21, 09:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post
The only retailers I know of offhand are Expansys.ca and US retailers like CopperBox
I ordered the GT from expansys this morning. Since they only charged the GST and the UPS charge was a whopping $25.95 CDN, I can assume that this is coming from their Illinois address. About 4-5 days to get here.
post #42 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-21, 09:39 AM

jbracing:

When you get the GT, let us know how you feel about it as well in detail. I'm still diggin' mine.
post #43 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 10:33 AM
Veteran

FYI - BestBuy has the Hauppauge PVR-950 portable ATSC tuner on sale for $89 this week.
post #44 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 10:36 AM

COOL! Since it's Best Buy I may just buy one to try out for a spin.
post #45 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
COOL! Since it's Best Buy I may just buy one to try out for a spin.
They're generally ok about returning stuff if you're not happy with it so there isn't too much risk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.