USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:07 PM

Hi Ryan,

Any Canadian source for your products? I don't particularily like ordering from the US due to product border crossing issues I've had in the past (plus it makes price comparing difficult).

Thanks,

- dvdrat

Last edited by hugh; 2006-11-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed unecessary quoting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:25 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
dvdrat:

I know you asked the question to Ryan, but I can answer it. I have seen the unit offered in Canada by expansys.ca for $225CDN plus shipping.
post #18 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:56 PM

stampeder,
I have reviewed DHC's Knowledge Base & FAQ, and found it very useful. I will definitely keep it as a good reference for customers, if they request more information. Good job! (I was unable to edit my 1st post to reflect this information, however.)

Thanks Cyclism for the clarifications. I think stampeder just wanted to make sure no one else was confused as to what the OnAir GT can do, in comparison to other ways people can watch HDTV. I think your review was great!

dvrat, I apologize I didn't respond sooner. However, I see Cyclism replied better than I could have. (Thanks Cyclism!)

If anyone has any further questions/comments, please let me know.

- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/

post #19 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
dvdrat:

I know you asked the question to Ryan, but I can answer it. I have seen the unit offered in Canada by expansys.ca for $225CDN plus shipping.
Cripes... I only paid about ~$190 CAD importing my DVICO FusionHDTV Gold USB tuner in April from Snapstream, and that included with Silver Sensor antenna....

This unit looks like pretty much the same thing in a different housing... Why is it so much more expensive?
post #20 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 02:01 PM

- The OnAir GT has superior hardware. We use high quality components. (Other manufacturers do use similar tuners/demodulatos, but most of their other components are inferior.) Our return rate for hardware problems is extremely low.

- The OnAir GT also includes an nVidia PureVideo Decoder license, one of the best decoders in the industry. (This alone makes up much of the price difference.)

- The software/drivers with the OnAir GT are a lot more stable than other manufacturers' attempts.

- We also provide North American support directly, as opposed to support overseas.

(OnAir Solution actually owns the patents to the technology that your device is using.)

I'd invite you to further compare other tuners to the OnAir GT, and I think you'll find that the quality/features more than make up any price difference.

I'm not trying to steer you away from the tuner that you currently use, as it appears you are very satisfied with your purchase. However, I hope I have made a good case for the price variation.

If you have any questions/comments, please feel free to let me know!

- Ryan Pertusio

post #21 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 02:16 PM

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.
Question.
I have an HP Laptop with AMD Turion 64 mobile tech ml-37
1.59ghz, 1G RAM & an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200series display adapter.

Would this laptop be good enough for the Autumnwave adapter to watch and record HDTV?
I'm interested in this unit but not if my laptop isn't up to snuff.
post #22 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post
- The OnAir GT has superior hardware. We use high quality components. (Other manufacturers do use similar tuners/demodulatos, but most of their other components are inferior.)
Um... sure...

Quote:
- The OnAir GT also includes an nVidia PureVideo Decoder license, one of the best decoders in the industry. (This alone makes up much of the price difference.)
PureVideo is good, unfortunately Nvidia video chipsets that support it are not very common in laptops.

This guy, for example, would be out of luck (as would anyone who buys a dell or lenovo which ship with mostly on-board intel):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travale View Post
Question.
I have an HP Laptop with AMD Turion 64 mobile tech ml-37
1.59ghz, 1G RAM & an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200series display adapter.

Quote:
- The software/drivers with the OnAir GT are a lot more stable than other manufacturers' attempts.
I'll try it out and let you know. It couldn't be worse the DVBView software that comes with the AirStar PCI cards (also based on the 5th gen LG tuner chips).
post #23 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 03:04 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
According the AutumnWave website, the minimum requirements for this device with ATI based video cards are:

Radeon 7200 or higher

Mobility Radeon 7500 or higher

with 32MB Video Memory or higher.

I just tried using the OnAir with my friends Dell Latitude D810 laptop which has an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 video card which has 128MB shared video memory and it worked fine when viewing and recording OTA ATSC HDTV. We didn't even install the Pure Video decoder.
post #24 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 03:07 PM

Richard,
Your HP laptop should work fine. One of our Compaq/HP lab computers has lower specs, and works fine. (ML-34, 512MB RAM, ATI Xpress 200)

hamstrung,
Actually, on the contrary, the nVidia PureVideo Decoder (despite the name) will work with other manufacturers' hardware, including Intel, ATI, VIA/S3, (and of course nVidia.) The only difference is that the nVidia cards have additional capabilities to extend the Decoder's functionality.

To clarify: You don't need an nVidia graphics card to run the nVidia PureVideo Decoder.

Thanks for your feedback!

post #25 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Ryan, I think you'll find that we are quite the sceptics here.
post #26 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
I just tried using the OnAir with my friends Dell Latitude D810 laptop which has an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 video card which has 128MB shared video memory and it worked fine when viewing and recording OTA ATSC HDTV. We didn't even install the Pure Video decoder.
Yup, with enough CPU power you can do playback of the MPEG2 ts stream without the PureVideo installed... PureVideo really helps lowering the CPU usage and making for less choppiness and stuttering (1080i - 1920x1080 is a big video stream to push around normally).

Quote:
Richard,
hamstrung,
Actually, on the contrary, the nVidia PureVideo Decoder (despite the name) will work with other manufacturers' hardware, including Intel, ATI, VIA/S3, (and of course nVidia.) The only difference is that the nVidia cards have additional capabilities to extend the Decoder's functionality.
To clarify: You don't need an nVidia graphics card to run the nVidia PureVideo Decoder.
I get the vibe from reading Nvidia's HD and DVD PV pages that PV doesn't do anything without a PV supported geforce gpu. Not to say that your tuner wouldn't work just fine with software decoding...

PV is nice though, I'd be interested to find out from someone who has a non-nvidia gpu how much of a CPU usage drop PV gives when rendering HD.
post #27 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstrung View Post
Yup, with enough CPU power you can do playback of the MPEG2 ts stream without the PureVideo installed... PureVideo really helps lowering the CPU usage and making for less choppiness and stuttering (1080i - 1920x1080 is a big video stream to push around normally).
hamstrung,
Without the PureVideo decoder installed, our 'backup' is to use an InterVideo decoder. It has a lot less features, but does the job if no PureVideo decoder is installed. Our software has an option to enable DxVA (DirectX Video Acceleration). Unchecked will use the CPU... checked will use the DxVA of the video card (in either decoder.)

Quote:
I get the vibe from reading Nvidia's HD and DVD PV pages that PV doesn't do anything without a PV supported geforce gpu. Not to say that your tuner wouldn't work just fine with software decoding...

PV is nice though, I'd be interested to find out from someone who has a non-nvidia gpu how much of a CPU usage drop PV gives when rendering HD.
Yes, nVidia's website does not document other video cards other than their own.

In this test, I'm watching a 1920x1080 stream using an ATI X800 with an Athlon 64 3200+ (on Windows XP SP2). Here are some screenshots of CPU usage with various decoding options:

nVidia PureVideo Decoder (roughly 20-25% CPU usage with full HD):

InterVideo Decoder, used by default if nVidia Decoder not found on system (roughly 30-40%):

No DxVA. Using CPU to decode (roughly 60-80%):

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #28 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Ryan,

Does the "Autumn Wave On-Air HDTV GT" have a hardware MPEG encoder for the NTSC tuner (obviously one isn't needed for the ATSC and QUAM tuners)?
post #29 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 04:44 PM

stampeder,
Skepticism is not always bad. I am skeptical of my own personal purchases, and I would expect many to be skeptical of the OnAir GT. However, that's why I make myself available here, so I can answer questions/comments that do arise.

Hello Roger,
The OnAir GT does not have a hardware MPEG encoder for NTSC. (It uses a software encoder.) A hardware encoder is something that adds another ~$50 to the cost, and additionally uses more power than a USB port could supply. (We do have a 'Creator' tuner that does have an MPEG2 encoder.)

- Ryan Pertusio

post #30 of 302 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 09:00 PM

I'd be interested in a comparative review with the Hauppauge 950 since I've seen that listing for just over a $100 at some online retailers in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.