TV Tuner Cards For HTPC Discussion - Page 64 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #946 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-04-08, 10:06 AM

Looks like no one here has had a chance to try out the 2255? I ordered one online at Canada Computers, and I'm just waiting to see how long it will take for them to deliver it.

There are some online reviews of the 2255, not on this forum, and they have been unimpressive in general - saying it's not much better, if any, than the previous model 2250. I have been using the 2250 for a couple years now, and it's performed very well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #947 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-04-08, 03:19 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, I think its probably a case of people sticking to what is known. It'll be interesting to see how it does for you.
post #948 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-04-13, 11:10 AM

Hauppauge Win-HVR-2255 MINI Review:

This weekend, I received the new Hauppauge HVR-2255 tuner card and installed it into my Windows Media Center PC. I also have the previous generation 2250 card, so I kept both cards installed to perform a side-by-side comparison. The 2255 comes on a shorter PCI board than its predecessor, and close examination shows that Hauppauge has replaced the Samsung demodulator chips with LG Electronics "LG DT3306A".

The installation experience from Hauppauge is largely unchanged. Simply download newest drivers, install the bundled WinTV 8 software (optional), and run a channel scan. The 2255 takes noticeably longer to perform the channel scan. I would estimate the duration to be at least twice as long.

Both cards pulled in the same number of channels. All of the Toronto stations showed full signal strength (6 bars out of 6) in Windows Media Center - again for both 2250 and 2255. Where I noticed a subtle difference was on the more distant WUTV (Fox), where the 2250 only showed 3.5 bars of signal strength, but the 2255 was able to capture 4.5 bars of strength.

This leads me to believe that there is moderate improvement on the 2255, but not enough that I could pull in more distance channels than before. I have always found that WGRZ and WUTV to be the two weakest signals that my HTPC could pull in, so it will be good to see if the 2255 can receive them more reliably.

I'll spend some more time comparing signal strength over the next week or so, to confirm my findings.
OddyOh likes this.

post #949 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 08:50 PM

Where did this discussion move to?

My WinTV-HVR-1250 is failing, curious what the current reigning champ of tuner cards is. I already have a 950Q & an HVR-2250, I'd like to buy something different.
post #950 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 11:01 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Unless/until ATSC 2.0 and 3.0 are adopted, the state of the art ATSC tuner chipset has been at Generation 6 for many years. So, the computer-based tuner device manufacturers are really just adapting that chipset to different form factors as they have come up, such as PCI, PCIe, USB, etc. etc.

The only real issue is whether drivers exist for a desired tuner device on your OS, and more importantly whether a certain model or line is known by others for being buggy in some way.

So, no news is good news.
post #951 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 12:18 AM
Veteran

I hear the new 955Q works really well. It uses an lgdt3306 demod. Which is a close cousin to the lgdt3305 demod, but more advanced. The lgdt3305 was used in the Aero-M, and in my LG LCD TV.

SBGH/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #952 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-22, 12:18 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

That's great to know that the 955Q is a good replacement because one of my 950Qs has gone a bit flakey lately after all its good service over the years! I'll look up the particulars.
post #953 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-24, 09:49 PM
Veteran

stampeder,
I had a $50 gift card from Amazon sitting here since September, so I finally used it to grab a new 955Q. Balance was only like $26. it showed up in 2 days. I haven't opened it yet, but I will let ya know how it works for me when I do.

post #954 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-25, 06:22 PM
Veteran

here is a comparison between the 955q and hdhomerun3.
stats from hdhomerun3 come from 905shmick's bash script. the 955q just manually tuning and taking notes.

That 955Q really does perform well.I just hooked it up to the outdoor antenna system and compared it's 'signal strength' and 'snr' to the hdhomerun. In particular,there is this one channel here,rf ch 38. which is always somewhat degraded snr wise,despite having a really strong signal. Note that RF 38 and RF 39 transmitters are on the same hill, about 1mi away from each other, with similar transmitter ERP and height.
I have always suspected RF 38 is experiencing some multipath degradation here. But have never got around to trying to find a better location on my property for the antenna to see if it made any difference.

The 955Q is the first USB tuner I have used which didn't seem to have that degradation on that specific channel. I will play around with azimuth later tonight,
to see if I can find an azimuth where the degradation is apparent on the 955Q
Also, the 955Q is the first USB tuner I have seen which is capable of reporting raw Signal Strength in dBm. Should be extremely helpful to folks understanding what's really going on while troubleshooting. All my testing is in linux, so I don't know what the Hauppauge Windows driver does at all. I should point out that the linux driver's counter for 'BER' reports nothing but all FFs (0xffffffff) on every signal. Something is in the
wood pile in that regard. So, I took a look at the driver's source code and played around with it in debug mode. Think I have a fix for that which
I have tested here. Seems more reasonable to me now, but with no documentation on the chip, there's really no real way to positively confirm.
Why I like open source software so much...when something inevitably doesn't work quite the way you like, at least you have the opportunity to change it
See pic...
the hdhomerun3 stats are on the left,955Q are the last 2 columns on the right. They seem to correlate quite well. Makes a believer out of me so far...

post #955 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-26, 11:48 PM
Veteran

The HDHR3 is rather dated. The HDHR4 or HDHRC (HDHR5) will perform better. I'd like to see a comparison between those and the 955q.
post #956 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-27, 12:01 AM
Veteran

sorry, I don't have anything newer than a hdhomerun3 and no plans to get anything newer. I am still unable to get the normally problematic rf ch 38 to fail at all here on any azimuth using the 955q.

post #957 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-28, 10:20 PM

@majortom

When you are using a USB tuner like the 955Q, what do you do for strain relief to ease the stress on the USB port if you are connected to the antenna with coax? Do you go through a USB hub or use an extension cable, or have you a way to fasten the cable to the chassis?
post #958 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-28, 10:25 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

geode I used short USB cable extenders and stiff coax jumper cables to keep my 950Q sticks suspended in air. I think those sticks cool off better that way too because they tend to run pretty hot all the time.
geode likes this.
post #959 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-29, 09:42 AM
Veteran

exactly, I took a look at the Hauppauge website but noticed that nowhere does it mention the package contents. So I can understand the question. It comes with:
the device itself, a short (6" or so?) shielded USB jumper cable, a retractable omni antenna, an analog video/audio input/breakout cable and a remote.

Should also mention it's form/fit identical to the 950Q and comes with all the same accessories that the 950Q did.
geode likes this.

post #960 of 960 (permalink) Old 2015-12-29, 06:04 PM

@stampeder , @majortom

Thanks for the replies. Much better to learn from the experience of others than to get there through trial and error.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.