TV Tuner Cards For HTPC Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 02:08 PM

OTA for HTPC

So here's the quick rundown, I just recently upgraded my computer as i'm doing a fair amount of photoshop work, and not thinking much before hand, my monitor is now the fault as my computer is up to speed. After much research, I've decided to go with the Apple Cinema HD 23". I also use my computer to watch TV while I work (currently have the HAUPPAUGE WINTV PVR-150).

With my new monitor coming shortly, I was 'initally' thinking about getting another shaw HD box and putting it under my desk, but unlike the dell LCD's, the Apple monitor only has the one single DVI connection. So I did some more research and thought, well i'm not gonna watch a WHOLE lot of HD on my computer, but it would be nice every now and then. So I looked around and started reading up more posts here on OTA HD. Very cool!

I live in Richmond BC (in the Steveston area) and as i'm on the 2nd floor (my bedroom) I've got a pretty good LOS towards the mountains. So here's my question:

Is it possible for me to get a PCI or USB system for my computer to bring in OTA HD and run it thru my computer and display it on my new monitor? If yes, what is recommended? I've done some searching but there is so much out there. Is there anywhere local to buy the parts, or is it best to buy it online?

TIA, and if i'm missing any more info, please let me know and i'll try and post it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 02:50 PM

Well I've spent some more time researching, and I've come down to 3 different PCI cards:

1. DViCO Fusion HDTV5 Lite ($129)
2. AverTVHD MCE A180 ($101)
3. VBox DTA-150 (unknown price source for CDN amount)

From what I've read, the Vbox is the best, with the aver in 2nd, Dvico following up. If thats the case, I think I'll probably look at the AverTVHD.

My last question is, I would like to "if possible" use a indoor antenna. Whats my luck in this situation? Good? If so, whats a good antenna to get?
post #33 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 02:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

OTA antennas and related gear are off topic in the HTPC Forum, so for info just click on the links in my signature to get to the OTA Forum, and you'll also find a thread in there about reception results in your area too.

post #34 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 03:38 PM

I would suggest the DViCO products. Either the USB gold or the PCI lite. Both are great products. I've used the Avermedia A180 as well. Good product. The other option is the ATI HDTV Wonder.

As for the Antenna options, it would best if you searched in the OTA section for better answers. I use an outdoor antenna Channel Master 4228 - works awesome.

For indoor ones, the Silver Sensor is a pretty basic one that seems to work well. But, indoor antennas have much lower success rates.
post #35 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujustud
...Is there anywhere local to buy the parts, or is it best to buy it online?
Ah Steveston - I spent an enjoyable evening there tied up on a fishing trawler (the trawler was tied up - I was at a pub ;-). The lower mailand must rock for OTA reception. A flat plain surrounded by mountains.

I believe that NCIX is in Van and is spoken of highly by several forum members.
post #36 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 11:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Actually all the PC parts shops along Bridgeport Road in Richmond give better deals than NCIX, typically.

Steveston is a favourite place with mrs. stampeder and myself for a nice night out for dinner.
post #37 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-10, 03:17 AM

Yup, steveston really rocks, (been here for over 20 yrs now), but its slowly being overcome with yuppies and their suv and their dogs. I can't even count the number of coffee shops in the area now, its pretty sad. I mean HOW much coffee can one drink?

Speak with Kevin at NCIX @ the Richmond Location. He rocks! Just mention I sent you and he'll beat any price out there. Been going there for years, and won't go anywhere else. They don't stock that Avermedia card, but I spoke with Kevin today, and he said he'd get purchasing to bring them in. This is no the first time he has done this as well. Their service really rocks.
post #38 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-11, 04:53 AM

OTA Tuner Card questions

Hi folks. I'm looking into getting a pci tuner card, and I want
  • Two inputs, in case for some reason we do decide to pay for cable someday
  • digital ATSC, analog NTSC, and cable QAM tuner
  • a remote control
  • preferably with linux and mythtv support
the dvico fusion hdtv5 seems to have everything except for two inputs. the myhd-130 I think covers everything. The aver and vbox mentioned above don't have analog tuners from what I can make out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the myhd-130 or fusion hdtv5?
post #39 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-29, 07:41 PM

btw is MCE required to use the AverTVHD MCE A180?
post #40 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-29, 09:27 PM

No, you can download a TV app from Aver's website.

If you're going to be using MCE2005, then stick with the AverMedia A180. My rationale:
(a) It's cheaper
(b) The DVIco comes w/ a remote which might be redundant to the MCE remote (depends on your use model)
(c) If you bring in an analog signal, you don't need to dangle a connector, the board supports direct composite/S-video input

Ted
post #41 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-30, 02:49 AM

Thanks.

So last question, can the Avermedia be bought locally anywhere here in the Lower Mainland?
post #42 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-30, 02:56 AM

I didn't buy mine locally and haven't looked domestically. If you have trouble finding it, send me a private message.

FYI, I did use the AverMedia via my MCE 2005 box to watch/record a couple of the HD hockey games from the local CBC ATSC broadcast. My biggest problem is that I have an indoor (Terk) antenna and hence, the signal can be finicky.

Also, have some decent storage available - HD can be as high as 10GB/hour and you need a decent graphics card to process it - I use nVidia 66xx.

Ted
post #43 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-05-30, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedS
FYI, I did use the AverMedia via my MCE 2005 box to watch/record a couple of the HD hockey games from the local CBC ATSC broadcast. My biggest problem is that I have an indoor (Terk) antenna and hence, the signal can be finicky.

Also, have some decent storage available - HD can be as high as 10GB/hour and you need a decent graphics card to process it - I use nVidia 66xx.

Ted
Thanks for the info. PM Sent.

I recently just upgraded my entire computer, so storage is not a issue (I have 300g, 120g, 60g), but I'm not really looking at recording a whole lot, just viewing.

Regarding the graphics card, thats good to note. I just bought a Geforce 7600GS, but I'm going to have to sell it and upgrade that. Reason is because I'm just about to order a Apple Cinema 23" and my max res on this video card won't support the max res on that monitor. Any video cards you recommend, say in the under $350 range?
post #44 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 11:04 AM

recommend a PCI HDTV tuner card?

Hi everybody!

Only a few days ago I found out it is possible to receive HDTV OTA. It is awesome!
So, I am novice. Could you recommend me a PCI HDTV tuner (100-150CAD)?
I would like to watch channels from antenna and Rogers cable. FusionHDTV5 USB looks very well but,unfortunately it has only one RF input connector.

Dimas.
post #45 of 960 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 11:17 AM
Veteran

You do realize that you can only watch non-HD channels from Rogers cable on your PC right? And to do so you will need a card that accepts NTSC or an S-video input if you want to use a cable box. If you use a cable box then you will need an IR blaster as well.

The only HD channels you would be able to get is OTA channels which depends on where you live. You don't list your location so I am assuming you are in the GTA - if not then you are out of luck unless you are in Windsor.

I have the Kworld-ATSC110 card that is available at Tiger direct for $90 after rebates (see here. It has some bugs but works okay although I haven't used it too much.)

There is also the ATI HDTV wonder and Avermedia HD cards as well.

You will also likley need some software to watch TV - I have bought a copy of BeyondTV which also acts as a PVR. The only problem with it is that it doesn't have Canadian OTA-HD channels (unless they have changed that recently). Make sure that your software works with the card you get or vice-versa.

If you are in the GTA and want to receive Buffalo channels then you will likely need an outdoor antenna.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.