Most basic kodi device? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-05-20, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Some 2.5" USB external drives accept a power adapter directly. That would eliminate the need for the powered hub. The power adapter is basically the same as used to power USB hubs, sometimes identical. I have one that works with both a hub and drive. They are 5v, 2a with center + and are available on eBay for a decent price. The main issue is getting the right sized connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-05-20, 06:04 PM

Osmc is the distribution I use on my RPi. I have Kodi and NCIDD running at the same time on it. The reason for that choice is because it's the only one that sucessfully worked for me for OTA and MythTv.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 10:13 AM
Rookie

I honestly would go for a Wetek!

Better price/quality combo at the moment.

Better than minix, and all the other chinese boxes, but a bit short to the nvidia.

You just stick a Sd card with openelec it will run fast and will suit all your needs. and can still get you netflix at 1080p.

Or simply use android version, right of the bat. cute launcher and Kodi version will do basically the same thing as openelec does.

Great support also.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 10:27 AM
Veteran

The Wetek is an Android box. It has slightly better specs than some but, otherwise, nothing special. I have a Minix 7. The thing that makes Minix stand out is the excellent support they provide.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 05:52 AM
Rookie

Perhaps my age is proving an impediment.......
I have spent the last two days of my free time researching this subject and I am probably further away from a decision.
My objective for now, is to keep my Fibe service for TV/PVR but add a device that will allow me to access Kodi / Exodus. While there are many Addons, from my reading Exodus will give me all the movies I want and old TV shows should I wish to look them up.

Option 1 is a dedicated notebook computer and Option 2 is what I will call a magic box. So far, it appears to me that my preference to go with Roku as an established hardware manufacturer will not work with Kodi, and am directed to a long list of choices on Amazon of what appear to be largely offshore sellers of a variety of Android boxes, some of which look,less than reliable

The floor guys at 2 Best Buy's I have visited are less than informed. Where can I go to have someone that knows what to do, sell me the hardware be it notebook or magic box and tell me to hook up A to B ? Is there a media streaming for dummies website ? - I have looked !

Last edited by jimfastcar; 2016-12-30 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Response
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 11:07 AM
Veteran

An opinion from a well known review site.

Best Kodi/XBMC streaming boxes 2016

Note the "What Features Should the Best Android TV Box Have?" section this article.

The Best Android TV Box 2016

The Nvidia SHIELD appears at the top of both lists and it does gaming. Adding a good RF remote for Kodi will cost extra.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfastcar View Post
My objective for now, is to keep my Fibe service for TV/PVR but add a device that will allow me to access Kodi / Exodus. While there are many Addons, from my reading Exodus will give me all the movies I want and old TV shows should I wish to look them up...The floor guys at 2 Best Buy's I have visited are less than informed. Where can I go to have someone that knows what to do, sell me the hardware be it notebook or magic box and tell me to hook up A to B ? Is there a media streaming for dummies website ? - I have looked !
What you are planning on doing is essentially theft of content - streaming movies and TV shows from sites that don't have the copyright holder's permission to distribute them.

This thread will help explain why there are few stores that will sell a "magic box" preloaded with Exodus and other add-ons.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-...al-canada.html

Sites like Netflix legally distribute movies and TV shows at a reasonable price. CraveTV is also available for TV shows. In both cases you can use your existing Fibe TV set-top boxes to watch the programs, so you don't have to buy special hardware.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Thanks much
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 12:36 PM
Rookie

The whole piracy thing is unclear to me. My wife asked me if it feels wrong, and I admitted that it did.
I actually am a defender of copyrights, brands, etc
Thanks for the comment
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 12:09 PM

I'm not a lawyer and these are my personal opinions and not necessarily site policy.

An individual isn't likely to be charged under the Canadian copyright act for watching a temporary copy of a streamed movie or TV show. If you are a "defender of copyrights," you should be aware that the programs that you plan to watch are being provided in violation of copyright law and you would be participating in the "piracy ecosystem."

Whether the sellers of boxes marketed and preloaded with add-ons designed to violate copyright law will be legally liable will eventually be decided by the courts. Right now, the injunction against the sale of pre-loaded boxes will make their business more costly to operate as they hire lawyers to defend themselves in court.

The sale of Android boxes that aren't pre-loaded with illegal add-ons is still OK.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Most basic kodi device?

The bottom line is that a good, basic Kodi device will work well for any source, legal or illegal. When content producers start embracing solutions like Kodi for streaming media then maybe the illegal sources will dissipate. As it stands, the legal market for streamed media is so purposely fragmented that it's difficult for people to find what they want. In addition, most of the streaming services are so difficult to use that people use them only as a last resort.

:soapbox on: Netflix is one of the few companies in the industry that provides anything close to a good user experience. Meanwhile, illegal streaming sites provide a good user experience at much lower cost. Not that I am condoning illegal streaming. It's just that it's time broadcasters and content owners stop sitting in their fiefdoms whining about their customers and building bad, substandard, proprietary solutions. The music industry is finally doing a pretty good job of marketing music on streaming services. It's about time the TV and movies industries get their act together and do the same. :soapbox off:
Phage, kcbrk32 and dgm like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.