MythTV 0.28 Released With FFmpeg3.0, H.265, VP9 & more - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-12, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Thumbs up MythTV 0.28 Released With FFmpeg3.0, H.265, VP9 & more

Happy to report that the do-it-all, jack-of-all-trades MythTV HTPC project has just been updated to version 0.28 with a bunch of new goodies, advanced codecs, updates, overhauls, and the initial work on WebFrontend to replace MythWeb:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.28

MythTV is ideally for Linux HTPCs, but there are ports available for FreeBSD, OS X, and Windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-13, 11:34 PM

I know a couple of guys who have had myth up and running for a while
tinkerer`s dream
in that you never end tinkering trying to get it working perfectly!
some really neat features to it tho, just never was able to meet the WAF in our house
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-19, 10:30 PM

How accurate is the commercial skipping for Canadian channels?

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-19, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

For the most part I've been pleased with MythTV's commercial detection capabilities since about version 0.24, and the setup interface gives you a variety of types of methods to try in order to suit your situation.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 10:53 AM

I have an HTPC set up that does not have recording functionality - simply a means of storing my DVD's and Blu Rays. I recently bought a Panasonic TC-60CX650U 4K television and have replaced the Rogers 8300 PVR with their 4K service. Rogers 4k box does not offer PVR, so I'm looking for an alternative. I know that I will not be able to record 4k, but would be happy if I could at least record HD.

Is this MythTV a solution?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 11:33 AM
Veteran

It is but there may be others. What O/S does the HTPC have now?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 01:08 PM

Windows 10. No WMC.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 03:25 PM
Veteran

I use NextPVR on Windows 10. It works well and is fairly easy to set up. It doesn't have some of the more advanced MythTV features like automated commercial skipping.

MythTV is certainly an option and a Windows version is available. I get the impression that it runs a lot better on Linux. I tried it on Windows once and didn't have much luck.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Since you are somewhere in Toronto, Rideauman, you would find that MythTV excels at being an OTA PVR when used with one or more ATSC tuner devices (usually USB sticks). It also streams video, audio, photo, and data content within your home to a wide variety of devices. I have never run it on Windows so I can't vouch for it on that OS.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 04:22 AM

What is the minimum CPU for myth-backend you would recommend for commercial detection? Would possibly be recording two shows at the same time both with commercial detection enabled.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the info. Will check it out!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

The load of 2 simultaneous ATSC recordings is actually not very much. MythTV has run just fine on any PC with 2 or more cores I've put it on, and most new HTPCs I see for sale by commercial vendors are way overkill for just a mythbackend server. On Linux you can run the mythbackend machine headless (just command line) to lighten the load even further if its an older, weaker PC.

On a frontend client PC, MythTV has an excellent frame-precise wysiwyg video editor for your recordings, and you have the option of leaving the recordings as is with the commercials tagged so that the mythfrontend player skips over them, or you can take the additional step of mythtranscoding the recordings so that the file is actually trimmed of commercials forever and the keyframe index is reset. Again, the load on a multi-core PC is not much even when mythtranscoding.

You also have the option of running the mythbackend and a mythfrontend client all on the same PC, which is quite common and works well.

Over the years I've found the MythTV Wiki to be indispensible for hardware and configuration info.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 05:13 PM

I read the mythtv wiki and that's where I read that commercial detection uses quite a bit of CPU power when it's looking for commercials which is why I asked. So any desktop dual-core would be a good safe bet. What about low end mobile processors like atoms that are soldered to the board. Would it be able to cope?

I'm looking to build a low power(low cost if possible) file server for home in the future so I'm just trying to see what's out there and what I would need. The plan would be to toss a tuner card in the file server and install mythbackend and run the recordings thru Serviio to the TV so I would need to remove the commercials of all the recordings. Some of the tuner cards that are said to be supported by mythtv have hardware mpeg2 encoder on the card for NTSC signals. Could mythtranscoding use the mpeg2 encoder on the card to offload cpu usage when removing the commercials?

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I'm not sure why you'd need to use Serviio when MythTV also does DNLA serving.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 07:50 PM

How well does mythtv's dlna work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.