MythTV 0.28 Released With FFmpeg3.0, H.265, VP9 & more - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post

I'm looking to build a low power(low cost if possible) file server for home
just a word of advice, build as big and as fast as you can afford

Everyone who tries to go low power/cost on their servers always ends up wanting to do more than they originally intended and end up dissatisfied
OddyOh and Wheelman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 12:49 PM
Veteran

There is a point where extra CPU power becomes a total waste of resources and money, both in initial cost and electricity costs. The sweet spot these days seems to be in a 45w to 65w TDP dual core or quad core CPU. That would typically be a high end core i3 or low end core i5 CPU. To save costs, a recent, AMD Kaveri or later mid range CPU should also be adequate.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Linux-based MythTV load is very low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
To save costs, a recent, AMD Kaveri or later mid range CPU should also be adequate.
Yep, absolutely true, the AMD line of lower cost CPUs are just fine. Over the years I ran earlier versions of MythTV on 2-way Intel and AMD CPUs, and then for a few years I used an AMD 4-way and then later a 6-way CPU with 8GB ram only because I had other tasks for the machine besides MythTV, and it was rarely spiked except when doing the occasional Handbrake transcode, which is not a MythTV tool but is certainly a complimentary one for HTPC users.

My AMD Phenom II 1100T 6-way mythbackend is still doing perfectly. It runs very cool and very quietly. When I am recording ATSC streams while watching a recording while running mythtranscode operations I can see with monitoring tools that the load of MythTV is quite low. Tools on Linux such as iotop and htop prove the point beyond any doubt.

It is too easy to overbuild a MythTV box, with overspending and overkill being the result.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 02:56 PM

The key will be to find out how much power the chips use at idle. I think Intel is better at it than AMD? Just grabbing the cheapest skylake desktop chip(Pentium/Celeron) would be enough power I reckon to handle any mythtv application while serving/streaming files to a Computer/TV at the same time.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

My AMD Phenom II 1100T machine with 8GB ram supporting two ATSC USB sticks and 3 SATA II drives runs excellently on a 430W PSU that came with the HTPC case. It is fast, quiet, and has more than enough juice. The LAN speed is excellent for my several MythTV clients and the load is low.

I think you might be overthinking things and thus doomed to overspend!
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 04:48 PM

You may be right! So you mean either find a cheaper chip or buy a used chip! I just figured skylake had better power saving properties.

That AMD processor of yours must be pretty power hungry. How much wattage is that system pulling?

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

For me the benefits outweigh the power load so I haven't ever given it much thought. As I say, a 430W PSU has been powering it fine with no burps or hiccups. If your power needs are more strict than my own then definitely look at the new Intels, but keep in mind that the initial cost of the CPU might wipe out the electrical bill savings over a cheaper CPU, so you might not break even for quite awhile.
Wheelman likes this.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 06:30 PM
Veteran

I have run mythtv on nothing more than a laptop with dual core intel cpu, and it is fine for me.
Currently it is running on a laptop with just an AMD Quad core cpu.
Wheelman likes this.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 04:58 PM

Which linux distrubution are you guys running myth on? I was just thinking, If I got a skylake cpu and I wanted to use Debian stable, I would have to compile the latest linux kernel? Is this an easy procedure? Or should I look at a different distro that is cutting edge? I use arch on my netbook but I don't want to use a rolling release on a server.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 05:41 PM
Veteran

You might want to check out Mythbuntu. It's probably the easiest way to get started with MythTV. The latest LTS release features MythTV 0.28.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 06:02 PM
Veteran

You can use Arch, Debian, whatever....

Just have to download the source and compile the mythtv release that you want.
There are good instructions on the mythtv wiki. If I can do it, anyone can

Nothing says you ever have to upgrade mythtv or your kernel once you get it going.
Unless there is a driver you need/want that isn't in your current kernel.
Or some new feature/bugfix that you wanna try/test in mythtv...

If there were a need/want for a specific DVB type device driver, there are ways around that too. What is your current kernel now, and what tuner device(s) do you plan on using? Mine is 4.5.0 currently, but I am a gluten for punishment.
Wheelman likes this.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 12:38 AM

I haven't set up a file server yet. I plan on building it in the future. I figured I'd use debian stable. It runs on 3.16 I think? I just need to capture ATSC signals. I wanted to use an internal pci express tuner card but they all seem awfully expensive. So I'd probably have to go with a USB tuner. I'd just go with the cheapest dual tuner(or single tuner, if two is cheaper than a single dual tuner?) that works with mythtv.

I plan on using a mini-itx board so I won't have the option of pci.

I'd probably avoid using mythbuntu, mythdora, etc as I don't like bloat.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 03:10 AM
Veteran

the Hauppauge 955Q is hands down the best usb tuner I have ever used.
For mythtv though, I would probably go with an hdhomerun.
Or maybe go with both and then you decide what you like better.
Wheelman likes this.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 03:29 PM
Veteran

I have been using Arch for my MythTV server with a couple of Hauppauge dual tuners. Arch probably isn't the smartest choice for a server, but in the end, I really have only had problems after updating a couple of times over the years. Not a big deal.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 11:20 PM

I've broken arch once myself when I was learning arch. Two other times an application broke with updates. One got fixed in a few days, the other must have been a month maybe before it got fixed. But I've not personally had any problems with arch besides those 3 times. I just don't want to be having to troubleshoot a broken package after update or anything which is why I'm considering Debian stable. I want to take as much of a set it and forget it approach as I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.