Chromecast Remote? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-04, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Chromecast Remote?

So I own a Chromecast....as all of you know it runs off Plex. I really enjoy it but found it frustrating to have to go to my tablet every time I wanted to pause content or play content, I did a little bit of researching, apparently some remotes with Raspberry Pie capability will work to control the Chromecast. I think I may have bought a really good remote today that says it is capable of being a Raspberry Pie Plex remote according to the title, "IR Remote Control & Receiver for Microsoft Media Center MCE or Raspberry Pie Plex". Has anyone ever tried to do this? The one I bought is called "Vista MCE Remote Control."
Before Anyone says that Chromecast made the capability of using my TV remote for HDMI CEC my TV remote doesn't have the Play, Pause, Stop functunality.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-04 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-04, 12:44 PM
Veteran

MCE remotes work with WMC, Kodi, Plex, etc. because the MCE receiver generates standard key codes. The MCE dongle emulates a standard mouse and keyboard. It will control any hardware and software that accepts a standard USB keyboard and recognizes the codes it generates.

The Chromecast does not accept a USB keyboard so there are no MCE remotes that work directly with it. In theory, it would be possible to control the Chromecast with a remote that emulates the smartphone remote app interface but I am not aware of any. The Chromecast has a software interface that any software can use to control playback. Some examples of software that can cast media and control the Chromecast are the Chrome browser, the Plex app and a long list of smartphone apps. In theory, this software could recognize commands received from an MCE remote dongle and relay them to the Chromecast.

The Plex implementation for the Raspberry Pi is called RasPlex. It turns the Raspberry Pi into a dedicated Plex media player. The Raspberry Pi accepts an MCE remote for use in Plex and other media players like Kodi. It might be possible to cast and control the Chromecast using RasPlex but it begs another question. That is, why not simply connect the Raspberry Pi to the TV and use it to play video instead of the Chromecast?

Another possibility would be to run a simple, dedicated program on the Raspberry Pi that accepts MCE remote commands and uses them to control the Chromecast. I'm not aware of any such software but it would be a good project if none exist.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-05, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ! I decided to cancel my order on E-Bay after because I came across an interesting article on a better remote to control the Chromecast: http://jamesdebug.blogspot.ca/2013/1...-logitech.html

Last edited by Jase88; 2016-04-05 at 06:52 AM. Reason: UNQ

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-05, 09:39 AM

This doesn't control the Chromecast - just the volume and sets the inputs of the TV/Receiver to the Chromecast.

You still need a tablet/phone to select and control the content (play/pause/stop)

Last edited by 57; 2016-04-05 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-05, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Well, after abit more research and this article that came out Chromecast Now Lets You Pause And Play With Your TV Remote | TechCrunch if I can find a remote like the Harmony (which is what I'm still thinking, ONE remmote to control the TV, PVR, etc. ) then it might just work. I haven't purchased anything at the moment however.

Last edited by 57; 2016-04-05 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-06, 12:50 PM

FWIW - I do have Chromecast, and I do have Harmony hub to control my system. I do have a Harmony activity to watch Chromecast. But all it does is set the TV input. receiver input and volume keys to receiver. I still need a tablet to control content. In addition, I also have another activity for listening to music through Chromecast (Spotify) and it just keeps the TV turned off. But once again, I need a tablet to control Spotify. But in general, this whole setup works fine. I will admit, however, for netflix where there is more up/down/pause/play we use AppleTV. Chromecast is much better for music, YouTube and browser stuff. We already had appletv before we got the Chromecast. I got the Chromecast because I was interested and it was so cheap. I likely would not bother with appletv if I had got Chromecast first

My system is not HDMI-CEC compatible, so it will not work as described by the above article.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 08:50 AM

I wonder whether this would work on a Nexus Player which has Chromecast built-in.

Phil
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

So is there any kind of adapters that will work to make my HDTV CEC compatible?

Also, I watch Netflix and Shomi which has the cast option. Will something like Rocku work to cast Shomi, Netflix?

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 02:05 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Looking on e-bay to try to come up with a solution.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 02:06 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 01:47 PM
Veteran

That adapter removes the CEC signal so it will disable CEC functions (stop the remote from working.) Note that some TVs only have CEC on one HDMI port (port 1 on my Samsung TV.) CEC issues can sometimes be solved by switching HDMI ports.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks !

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 11:04 PM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 02:35 PM
Veteran

That's an interesting product but I don't think it will work with the Chromecast.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

This looks interesting ......It is called 4x HDMI Switch w/CEC Engine (Full 1080 p) w/ 3D support 6259

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 04:06 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Looks like a good switch. However, it will not make a non-CEC TV CEC compatible. I also doubt that it will control the Chromecast. It will provide CEC functions for CEC compatible TVs and devices.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

So what if I plugged my Chromecast into one of the four inputs and then the HDMI cord from the Output into the back of my HDTV? That is what I'm thinking.....I also have a Rogers PVR I can test it out on....I'll pick up a Universal Remote made by RCA I seen at my local Electronics store for the pause, rewind, etc. if need be.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.