Chromecast Remote? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 05:26 PM
Veteran

That will work if the TV is CEC compatible. I wouldn't bother with the RCA remote. Get a Harmony remote. Pause, rewind, play will work if the TV recognizes the codes and passes them through the HDMI via CEC. Even if pause, rewind, play are not on the TV remote, the TV may recognize them if brand compatible codes are programmed into the Harmony, or it may not. It will take some trial and error to find the right code for the Harmony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks....

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 11:00 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

After calling Curtco (the manufactures of my RCA HDTV) back again and talking to them, not being able to find the CEC function on my HDTV after being told the first time it had CEC function, I've decided to bring my HDTV into a second hand store (Trader's) and get a CEC enabled TV. It would make life easier and the second person I talked too said my HDTV doesn't support it. What a run around. Anyways, thanks all !

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-07 at 11:03 PM.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 10:55 AM

Oh man - wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper to just get an AppleTV or Roku? Then you would get full remote control, not just play/pause

With HDMI-CEC/Chromecast you still need a tablet/phone to get the content on the TV.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 11:18 AM
Veteran

I agree. The 'new' TV would probably need to be a smart TV to get the FF, Rew, Pause functions on the remote and, even then, it may be a bit of a crap shoot to get it working right. (That's not to mention the cost and risk of a used TV.) A Roku 3 comes with a remote and can be purchased for $110 or maybe less on sale.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

And that is exactly what I did ! I work at Wal-Mart so I got 10% off the cost of the last Roku 3 in stock.....I went to the Source, but they didn't have a Roku 3 in stock, only the streaming stick so like I said I went to my work and bought it. I'm impressed they have the Sirius XM App.I subscribe to that. Also, I couldn't find a HDMI Matrix Switch at my work but bought that at The Source, I bought that for more HDMI ports options then just two on my HDTV.

Next thing on my list - A Harmony remote I seen at my work also to condese these 3 remotes I have.

Last edited by 57; 2016-04-08 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-09, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

So I have my Roku 3 all set up now...... What I've discovered: There is no Shomi channel (looks like I will have to stick to the Chromecast on that one) but the rest of it is great ! I have my Sirius XM account set up, my Netflix account, my Cineplex Store Set up, Google Play Movies and TV set up and have found an app channel to send Firefox videos to my Roku 3. Works well with casting videos from sites from the browser and selecting the Roku (except Shomi) with remote pause, play, etc. Still have to use my Chromecast to watch Global Go through the Miracast app. Over all I am pleased ! I don't feel as if an Apple TV constitutes being bought for just Shomi when I can still use my Chromecast for it.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-12, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I have an idea (-: I noticed yesterday that the Roku 3 has a USB port. I was thinking that maybe if I buy a USB to HDMI adapter and pay the $1.99 to use the USB every month I might be able to attach my Chromecast to the Roku 3. It uses a media player to play videos and on the Roku 3 do you think I could pause/play/rewind the Chromecast videos?
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-13, 07:33 PM

I can almost guarantee that will not work

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-14, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

The USB options on the Roku 3 include:

MediaBox USB - Now you can access your videos and photos stored on your USB. $1.99
My USB - Connect your USB to play movies,music, and photos on your TV Support for MP4, MKV,AAC,MP3, JPG, PNG and more. $1.99 monthly subscription.
PlayUSB - Plug in your USB drive to your Roku to play movies,music and photos on your TV. Supports MP4, MKV,MP3,AAC, JPG and PNG. Movies can have subtitles and customized thumbnails for files. You can also repeat files and folders and bookmark them for quick access. $3.99

I don't think any of this will work....but I finally found my answer to the Chromecast for CEC
https://flirc.tv

To be used in conjunction with Event Ghost and an IR Blaster
https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/commen...ir_blaster_to/

Download Event Ghost : http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-04-15 at 05:38 AM.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-15, 10:31 AM

if this isn't the definition of the $1000 fix for the $30 problem, I don't know what is
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-15, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Not to mention that it won't work with a Chromecast nor is it a solution for providing CEC. Flirc and EventGhost are good products but they are designed for a HTPC. Flirc costs about $30 and EventGhost is free.

It looks like USB channels on the Roku 3 are not available in Canada. I'm not sure exactly what these are since I cannot even access information about them on the Roku site.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-15, 02:35 PM

the USB channels just let you play specific video files from a thumbdrive

nothing too cool

you definitely can't plug a chromecast into it

I still can't wrap my head around trying to get a remote to work with a chromecast
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-15, 03:10 PM
Veteran

The bottom line is that a smart TV with media control buttons on the remote and CEC is required. But if you have a smart TV it will probably do most of the things that a Chromecast will do anyway. That basically makes the Chromecast redundant so why bother? The remote issue is one reason why my Chromecast rarely gets used. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

I've yet to find anything that is a versatile and easy to use as a HTPC for streaming or playing media. The only limitations are arbitrary ones that were created by media companies for copyright control and to enforce copy protection. Even those are not deal breakers though they often make things more awkward and sometimes lower playback quality.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 2016-04-16, 10:44 AM

Indeed, the whole point of the Chromecast is to be controlled by your phone or tablet. If you want a remote that badly, a Roku 3, Apple TV, or Nexus Player in lieu of the Chromecast would all be much easier and reliable solutions. You're trying to jury-rig a golf cart to drive 100 kph on the highway when really you should just buy a car.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.