HTPC Case? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HTPC Case?

m starting a project to build my next HTPC.

I've had an Ahanix D.Vine 5 box under my TV for the best part of 5 years and its served me well but the Mrs has even approved a new one as ours has become a bit slow and noisy.

So, why not.

Stage 1 is scoping out the best case. So does anyone have any great recommendations for an HTPC case?
Obviously there are caveats as to what makes something great for one person is not great for another. Understood. But if you could build one from scratch and you've some information about the best box that you could use. Let me know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 03:16 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Size? Ventilation? Usage?

Tell us more about the physical requirements (full ATX mobo, mini, micro, etc. etc. and PSU size), and whether you will be putting the HTPC inside a cabinet or out in the air. Also will you be doing any heavy load stuff like transcoding? Which OS/software platform?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 03:25 PM
Veteran

MiniITX case for low power CPU: Antec ISK 110 VESA ($85)

Silverstone has a full range of HTPC cases. I'd recommend against one of the larger cases and go with one of the low profile ML series cases. Silverstone.com

I have a Lian-Li PC-C37. It's a very well made case.

nMediaPC makes a line of budget HTPC cases.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-26, 10:37 PM

I'm a huge Antec fan for the last 15 years or so. the cases are well made, and with silence in mind
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-27, 03:01 PM
Veteran

I was a big fan of Antec cases at one time. Like all steel cases, they tend to be heavy. These days I like Fractal and Lian Li aluminum cases better. Weight can be an major issue for large HTPC cases housed in a component cabinet.

The first Antec HTPC case I purchased was an absolute disaster. It had a power supply with a reversed fan that blew hot air exhaust into the case. That overheated components and made all the other fans run at full speed. I ended up junking it after a couple of months. Their newer cases are better but it shows the pitfalls of relying on brand alone for making choices. Just like anything else, case makers can make good and bad products.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-27, 03:53 PM

oh man, I like this~

HTPC 8000B

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 11:18 AM
Veteran

I have an In-Win BP655. It fit into my A/V shelf well, and has that shard which was handy to hide a remote sensor behind.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 12:59 PM
Veteran

I've used cases similar to the Inwin BP655. (Previous models with same specs and interior layout.) While it's not a bad solution, there are better cases for use in an AV cabinet. The Inwin BP655 is narrower and deeper than the AV component standard. The Inwin cases are good for a budget build.

The other issue is the PSU. It's 200w so some care must be taken to keep CPU power moderate and avoid using a separate video card. It's also not 80+ rated. Replacement PSUs are available but an 80+ rated PSU will cost as much as the original case and PSU.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 02:02 PM

Also using an IN-WIN for my HTPC, the BK623 micro-ATX. Inexpensive ($75 including a 300 W power supply) and functional if your CPU load is low. Doing anything demanding makes it annoyingly loud as the fans spin up though (the CPU fan is ducted to the top and doubles as the main air intake).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-04-01, 09:25 PM

That Ahanix D.Vine 5 is a very nice looking case. Why not just replace the fans and Power supply?
That should quiet it down.

ISF level2 Calibrator, HT Technical Planner, Owner Video Management Services
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-04-01, 10:31 PM
Veteran

Agreed. The ATX spec has not changed much in 5 years. Things like PSUs, drives and CPUs have improved a lot but will still fit in that case. I would be tempted replace the inside components with newer ones and keep the case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.