What can I do with what I've got? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By stampeder
  • 1 Post By Phage
  • 1 Post By Danno10000

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Question What can I do with what I've got?

Hi! I've been away for quite awhile. My God, it's been 2 years since my last post! I joined over 10 years ago. Boy, have things changed around here.
Anyway, I'm old, relatively lazy and somewhat tech savvy. And really getting annoyed at Rogers. But that's for another post in the rant Forum.

Lately, I've been waxing Apple - ish. Used PCs all my life, but I was looking to switch it up for a bit, Yes, they are expensive and yes they have both their fans and detractors, and I don't want to get caught up in all of that stuff.

So here's what I have, here's what I'd like to (maybe) do and any suggestions as to how best to set up would be great. Please, no bashing. I have what I have and I just want to use it as best I can.
First on Content and interfaces- Plex vs Kodi - streaming / storage.
Second on relatively simplicity - I like elegant solutions (if there are any with what I have)
Third - here's the equipment.

Apple TV 3rd Gen
Apple Time Capsule (Airport Extreme with 2 Terabyte Storage)
Asus RT-N56U Router
Seagate 250 Gbyte USB portable drive
Macbook Pro Retina - 8 Gig Ram 256 Gig SSD (which I think is just the slickest thing since sliced bread!)
Andover Android Q8 Box with Kodi Installed
iPhone 6 64 Gig
iPad 2 16 Gig (wife's dinosaur)

So... I;m trying to "cable Cut" but what I've run across so far doesn't turn my crank. I like convenience but don't want to sell my soul to get it. I'm fairly tech ok, but the wife has trouble juggling remotes (!!)
At least I don't put Black tape over the flashing 12:00 on the VCR...

So, waddya think? Good start? Bad start? I know it's a bit of a dogs breakfast, but I'm retired, and have some time on my hands.

Thanks Guys.
Skywalk aka Hedgeley

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2016-03-11 at 10:58 AM. Reason: piracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I think the first thing you'll need to do is outline specifically where you want to source your content going forward. OTA? Streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Shomi, etc)?

If all you want to use is streaming services, you can just get more Apple TVs if you want to remain within the Apple ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 03:37 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The "OT"s

These days, someone figuring out a cord cutting HTPC solution will want to check into the "OT"s":

OTT (Over The Top): Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

OTA (Over The Air): *** WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS: Read these OTA Forum instructions before posting ***

No, you are most definitely not a new member, skywalk! The advice in the second link is a great starting point for everyone. Where are you located?
skywalk likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Ya thanks, guys. Yes, Stampeder I remember when. Nice to see you're still around.
I used to live in Dover but Moved to a Hamilton townhouse about 3 years ago. So I can see the big CHCH tower from my back window (yay) so I went out and bought a set of amplified "rabbit ears"(highly touted by somebody as one of the best - Terk Trinity.
At the front bedroom upstairs I can get five channels (yay). At the back I can get 4 1/2 (what?)
Is this the 80s all over again? I can't put up an obvious antenna (condo rules).
I like that OTT option. Wasn't sure what Plex was - looks like a front end. Kodi seems like a 2016 version of grey market dishes - and we all know where that ended up.
I"ve got lots of personal photos and music that I can put on the Time Capsule - that's easy. THat's pretty much built in. But where does all the entertainment feeds come from? TV shows, Movies, Sports events etc. Is there an integrated way to pull it all together. So basically, hardware, streaming and storage.

I'm also wrestling with wifi coverage (do I have to run wires like I did 20 years ago??) Wireless my a$$

Oh and a stubborn (band new)Brothers wifi air printer that needs to have its plug pulled now and then to get working again

Ain't the future wonderful?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-13, 09:33 AM

I would highly recommend and AppleTV4 for your streaming box. It has many streaming apps available (Netflix, Crave, Shomi, some sports things) and iTunes for movie rentals/purchases. There is also a version of Kodi called MrMC (with restricted addon functionality) that will allow access to your own stuff stored on a remote storage device (also Plex and Infuse). My family has been very happy with this set up, just one box, one remote, one hookup to the TV (other than OTA for local stuff).
skywalk likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 06:57 PM

+1 For the AppleTV4. The app store (e.g. Plex) is great. Apple TV remote is all I need to control my TV. I paired it with Kanto YU5's and Sub8 for great sound.

If I was in an OTA zone, I'd get the HDHomerun OTA networked tuner and use the Apple TV app called Channels.

As a 3 year cord cutter, I know I will never go back to cable TV due to cost and required cable box/remote.
skywalk likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Curiouser and curiouser. Thanks, Phage. Perhaps there's an unobtrusive spot I can find for an external antenna. Have to look at TV Fool. And maybe just hang it near the back window. I'll keep looking for OTA options. I'm taking this Terk thingy back. seems odd to have an amplified set of rabbit ears. And I just don't get the stations. I can't even pick up Buffalo. Weird. I could get all of Toronto, Buffalo and even Rochester with Rabbit ears back in the '70s.. Alright, stop snickering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.