SlySoft reboots as RedFox; Avoiding New AACS 2.0 DRM - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-25, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

SlySoft reboots as RedFox; Avoiding New AACS 2.0 DRM

It appears that the movie industry has finally got their way and SlySoft has been shut down. This company has AnyDVD and AnyDVDHD which allowed you to rip your purchased DVD's and BluRay's to your private media server.

The current version is still working but there will be no more updates. It will not be long before new version on the encryptions are released by the studios to make it useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-25, 12:32 PM
Veteran

Well, if they're not going to update it anymore, perhaps they'll open source their work?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-25, 02:09 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

There is still the MakeMKV product out there, in perpetual Beta state but in constant development, so the knowledge of how to rip BD is definitely still current and available. Here is SlySoft's own extremely terse announcement:

http://www.slysoft.com/

To paraphrase a comment I read on another site, when you watch a commercial that says "own it on BluRay today" you have to remember that what you think the word "own" means is not at all what big entertainment says it means. Big entertainment pays a huge amount of money to enforce what it thinks "ownership" means. Anyway, this is such a waste of everyone's time and rights.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-25, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I agree that MakeMKV is an excellent product and mostly replaced my AnyDVDHD. The only thing I used it for was when a large artificial list of main titles were listed, AnyDVDHD would tell me the correct one.

Ownership means that you own the plastic, not the content. The content is owned by the studios. They have licenced you to view the content from the plastic.

I think that the copyright laws are outdated and out of control ... but then so is piracy out of control.
Dr.Dave and DSgamby like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-25, 04:51 PM
Veteran

I guess those "lifetime" AnyDVD licenses were for the life of the company, not DVDs, BDs or the consumer. I've got to wonder what the real reason was. SlySoft lost at least one copyright lawsuit. Maybe they just don't have the resources to fight a protracted legal battle. I've seen a lot of software go the way of the Dodo over the years. This news is not unexpected. It was a matter of when, not if.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 04:30 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

DVDFab says it won't crack new AACS 2.0 DRM scheme

Ultra HD (4K) Blu-ray discs are to be encoded according to the new AACS 2.0 scheme.
Quote:
Fengtao Software, which makes DVDFab, said in a statement that it "will not decrypt or circumvent AACS 2.0 in the days to come. This is in accordance with AACS-LA, (which has not made public the specifications for AACS 2.0), the BDA [Blu-ray Disc Association] and the movie studios." AACS-LA is the body that develops and licenses the Blu-ray DRM system. Curiously, Fengtao's announcement comes just a day after SlySoft—the company that makes the ripping tool AnyDVD—ceased operations and vanished from the Web. All that's left is a cryptic message on SlySoft's website: "Due to recent regulatory requirements we have had to cease all activities relating to SlySoft Inc."
Next-gen Ultra HD Blu-ray discs probably won't be cracked for a while

Interesting timing... I'm wondering if it has anything to do with recent global trade deals. Anyways, the "won't be cracked for a while" title of that article makes me chuckle.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 05:53 PM

We all know it will happen. Some disgruntled ex-employee will leak some code and Voila! A new video compressing program is born.

It will suck for those who like to fill up their DLNA accessible hard drive with their collection.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 10:43 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

All of the DRM schemes are mathematical. In the case of DVDs, the 40-bit key was soon found. With AACS 1, a decryptor was soon built based on an academic paper from the designers, and then the magical key string was determined through debugging of running processes. Big Media actually tried to have that key declared an "illegal number" while mathematicians and geeks everywhere howled with disdain and/or laughter.

With AACS 2.0, if the DRM scheme is purely mathematical it will be cracked too, but just in a longer timeframe if it is indeed more complex a problem. Again, doing the math and the debugging/reverse engineering is perfectly legal, as is the entire pursuit of mathematics.

Something else occurs to me: since AACS 2.0 requires an Internet connection to retrieve the appropriate key, why wouldn't I just stream the movie instead? By the time AACS 2.0 becomes common, 4K streams should likewise be common.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-28, 12:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Again, doing the math and the debugging/reverse engineering is perfectly legal, as is the entire pursuit of mathematics.
Actually, this isn't true in the USA under the DMCA. It's illegal to circumvent DRM, even if it's easy to do so.

I don't think AACS 2.0, and whatever new protections are built into "Blu-ray 2.0" will matter, because the format will be dead on arrival. That is, it will be so unsuccessful it will make Blu-ray 1.0 look successful.

It looks like DVD will be the last physical format to be widely adopted.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-28, 12:54 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, but I think we agree that U.S. law does not factor into the equation for those who would wish to crack it and leak the solution.

I don't see a plus-side for any physical media as high speed Internet access continues to spread and improve.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-28, 12:14 PM
Veteran

Sure, but didn't Canada pass bill "C-11" which had similar anti-circumvention clauses to the DMCA?

I'm just saying that "the entire pursuit of mathematics" isn't legal if it circumvents DRM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-02-28, 12:32 PM
Veteran

That is correct. Researchers in the US were prosecuted for publishing a paper describing encryption used by the movie industry. Under the DMCA, even research and publication is illegal.

In Canada, it's also illegal to import or create software that defeats decryption. Anyone that downloads (aka imports) SlySoft's products or similar products violates the law. Carried to extremes, this could extend to any unlicensed product that decrypts or even plays DVDs, BDs and encrypted streams. Laws similar to the DMCA are being implemented in an increasing number of countries.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 11:35 PM
AFF

And... they are back as RedFox.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 11:45 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

RedFox Announcement

Yep, that didn't take long! This is their announcement reposted to Pastebin:
Quote:
7.6.9.1 2016 03 01
- AnyDVD reborn! SlySoft is dead, long live RedFox!
- This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue
to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs.
- This version can access the new RedFox Online Protection Database
- This version will only work, if already own a valid AnyDVD license
- For compatibility with 3rd party programs, AnyDVD will still use "SlySoft"
for directories and registry paths
- It will replace an existing SlySoft AnyDVD installation
- New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
- Some minor fixes and improvements
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

They must be on a boat in international waters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.