SlySoft reboots as RedFox; Avoiding New AACS 2.0 DRM - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 11:12 AM
Veteran

SlySoft did lose a lawsuit in their former location of Antigua. I'm guessing that the new company is based in a location that is more tolerant of their software. Hat's off to RedFox for honoring SlySoft licenses. Many other, supposedly more reputable, companies have just walked away from their customers in similar situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 04:58 PM

The fact that they offer to honor the SlySoft license, and that they came back under a new name, same utility, there is money to be done for that company.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 09:18 PM
AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
They must be on a boat in international waters
Yeah on a pirate ship.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 09:36 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Their new TLD is Belize (www. .bz)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 04:52 PM

Is the HTPC dead?

I have been using my home theatre PC primarily as a back up for my DVD and Blu Ray collection. Nice to be able to to play movie files from the comfort of the couch rather than sorting through a shelf of titles.

I guess in this new era of video streaming, Netflix and the like, the draw to store movie titles on a hard drive must be diminishing severely. I went and bought the James Bond movie Spectre on Blu Ray - primarily as a cost savings measure ($10 savings over digital version). All excited to play on my HTPC using Arcsoft's Totalmedia Theatre software... only to discover that the security on the disk exceeds what TMT can decode - it won't play. To make matters worse, I discovered that Arcsoft discontinued TMT in 2014 (!!!). Where have I been?

So... I open up AnyDVD to see if I can rip a back up and then play. Slysoft apparently has been given the "cease and desist" orders from the lawman - they have shutdown operations. My installed copy needs an update to work with the Spectre Blu Ray - clearly no longer available.

I don't have a traditional Blu Ray player. Is that what is now required here? Is my HTPC obsolete?
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 05:31 PM

Slysoft is under a new name. Can't recall what it is but it is in the forums somewhere. Search for it and it might help with your movie.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 06:00 PM

Redfox I believe. I will try that.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 10:14 PM

the HTPC to me kinda went backburner when PLEX went mainstream

and by that I mean basically every smart tv, networked Blu-ray player, and every game system out there has a plex client

now you have a nice thin client, and whatever you want as a server

I guess another way of looking at it is that my HTPC has become a Home Theatre Server
Wheelman likes this.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 08:01 AM

That is what happened in my case. I went from an i7 Windows 7 HTPC (Media Center) that took lots of handholding to Plex on the Roku and now on an Apple TV. Server is a Mac Mini, and requires virtually no maintenance plus is my primary home computer. When Windows 10 arrived, my Windows computers went to sleep permanently.
Wheelman likes this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 11:08 AM
Veteran

I still like an HTPC over anything else. For starters, an I7 is overkill for HTPC. An I3 NUC is plenty. Lighter HTPCs can be purchased or built based on mobile chips, Intel Celeron or AMD Athlon CPUs and the ITX form factor. I don't even use an I7 for the media server. A low power quad core AMD chip is plenty (and a small fraction of the cost.)

I have never been able to get PLEX to do everything an HTPC can do nor does PLEX do it as well. Sure PLEX works and provides extra functionality but it is nowhere as good as KODI and, yes, KODI has a DLNA server that can act as a server for thin clients and smart TVs. The KODI team also doesn't charge for add-ons that provide extra services (though donations are welcome.)

Quote:
When Windows 10 arrived, my Windows computers went to sleep permanently.
My HTPCs got a lot more stable and easier to maintain when Win8.1 arrived. That's when I abandoned Win7 for HTPC. Despite a few early issues, Win10 makes further improvements in stability and maintainability. Win10 apps also provide improvements in video rendering. making it possible to view streaming video with some very light weight hardware.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 05:45 PM

I agree that for a HTPC, there are Windows, Linux, and OSX based solutions such as XBMC/KODI that work quite well and provide lots of functionality. I've used all those platforms with XBMC/KODI.

I just find the Apple TV 4 and PLEX solution provides a great entertainment experience with a superb all-in-one remote control (for TV control as well) and a nice 10 foot TV interface.

I was an exclusive Windows users, but Microsoft drove me to the other side due to their HTPC strategy (or lack thereof for Canadian users).
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 11:58 AM

I agree with what some people have said about Plex and built in DLNA players in smart TVs, for me the main reason I still use my HTPC one in a while is for gaming using Steam in home streaming. My HTPC is not powerful enough to drive some of the games I play but with the in home streaming it is a pleasure to do so!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.