Apple TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Apple TV

We are seriously trying to replace cable with a new apple tv 4th generation. We are paying $120 amonth on cable and just don't feel we are getting an value. We watch a number of shows on current live tv like Big Bang, Chicago Fire, etc. WE planned that we would just buy the season's passes of the shows we watch on itunes. We figure there is 11 shows we watch, and on itunes they average roughly $30 each for the seasons passes. That is a total of $330. WE also watch hockey in the winter and the blue jays in the summer. We are rogers wireless customers so we get game centre live for free. Mlb.tv costs $130. We currently pay $8 for our netflix subscription. We thought we would then sign up for crave tv at 4/ month.

Totaling all of that up gives me $640 a year. Currently we are paying $1440 for cable. Obviously we would have to buy and apple tv box or two which would eat up a lot of the savings in the first year but after that we should be way ahead of the game.

Ha anyone else tried something like this? Am I missing anything?

TIA for any thoughts and opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 01:57 PM

Just an FYI Crave TV is going up to 6/month Feb 1 and depending on what your internet package is you may face overage charges unless you are on an unlimited package. The $6 price is only for those with a cable/satellite subscription. Pricing for those without a cable/satellite package have not been confirmed yet.

LOSat

Last edited by LONSat; 2016-01-05 at 02:02 PM. Reason: More info added
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

We are on a unlimited fibre optic internet package so going over wouldn't be an issue. I didn't realize the price would be different for non cable subscribers, but they can't charge more a month then netflix I wouldn't think...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 08:35 AM

My guess, would be that they will be putting at close to Netflix and Shomi, at the 8.99 for non TV subscribers... maybe 7.99.

DEFINATELY go with the 4th gen apple TV.

If I can ever find one cheaper, I will be replacing my 3rd gen with it.

Not that the 3rd gen is bad... the 4th just opens so much more possibilities with its more OPEN app environment.

I use PLEX a lot at home, and would love the built in support on it (vs the round about ways on the 3rd gen) for my TVs which don't natively have plex support.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 09:14 PM

I cut cable over 2 years ago and went with a $50/month unlimited internet package with Start Communications. I have the Apple TV 4 (and had Roku's and Apple TV 3's) and opening it up to apps makes a big difference. Netflix and/or Shomi and available to everyone. Plex is perfect for my own library of video,music and photo. Apple Music is great on the Apple TV 4 now that I can simply ask it to play a track from their 30 million+ selection. Some people have even figured out how to get Hulu working for next day TV shows. Sports can be an issue without cable, but you can subscribe to on-line content or in some cases Airplay from an iPad to Apple TV.

Combined with a Magicjack for IP telephone, I'd say I'm saving over $120/month compared to cable/Bell. Wife is happier too as all we use is one simple intelligent remote control for both the Apple and TV (Samsung). I am not a gamer, but the kids like the occasional game on the Apple TV.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 10:45 PM
Veteran

Mlb.tv won't show any Jays games as they are shown on your TV provider locally.

Don't know it works with VPN. I use Betternet for NHL GCL and it works for my PC and phone. PS3/PS4 does not work.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

My understanding was that rogers lifted all blackouts of jays games in canada.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...v_blackouts_d/
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 10:45 AM
Veteran

MLB says otherwise.
MLB.com FAQs | MLB.com

"All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada."
http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbat_blackouts.jsp
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I seen that too on MLB. But there is lots of stuff all over the net saying rogers choose not to enforce the blackouts. I don't know. I guess I should ask MLB myself through an email...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 01:31 PM

Rogers has not enforced the blackouts for a couple of years now. Management has changed this year, and they still retain the right to enforce at any time, but I'm not expecting it. Otherwise, it would work with a VPN.

If you want a cheaper option, hardware-wise, you could get a Chromecast. For $45, they'll get all the content you want. You might have to use Google Play Movies & TV to buy TV shows instead of iTunes, but it definitely works with MLB.tv, and I believe this year it works with NHL GCL. Keep in mind that you may be blacked out of certain NHL games via GCL, especially if you're not a cable subscriber.

A Chromecast does require a smartphone or laptop to control it (though it does stream directly from the internet, not via the phone). If you do consider that route and you're using iPhones, make sure you purchase content via the web versions of services like Google Play Movies & TV, otherwise you may be paying an Apple premium. It also doesn't have apps or the other bells and whistles of an Apple TV.

If you're looking for reassurance, this is what I have done for a couple of years now: Netflix + MLB.tv + season's passes via Play Movies & TV + Chromecast. It works great for me, and it's only about $300/year. Keep in mind though, that if you enjoy "event programming" like awards shows or one-off's, you may not have a good way to access that.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on MLB.tv. That confirms what I have read elsewhere. I have NHL gamecentre now for free as a rogers wireless customer and nothing is blacked out. I don't think it matters if I am a cable subscriber.

I do like a few events, mainly the super bowl. Not sure how easy it would be to see it this way but for the potential savings it may be worth it
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-09, 07:57 PM
Veteran

GCL should have blackouts for regional games for your region. This can be fixed on PC/iOS using VPN.

Where are you located?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-10, 10:47 AM

Cancelled Bell satellite and have been using an AppleTV + high speed internet for about 3 years now, and just recently got the AppleTV4. The ATV4 is nice because I use iTunes to purchase and rent a lot of movies and TV shows, and new apps available (Plex, MrMC) give me access to my own older DVD movies that I have stored on my PC, all from a single box.

Now, whenever I'm forced back into the old "broadcast" model to watch television (ie hotel, visiting family), I get very frustrated by all the commercials, lack of immediate availability of shows I feel like watching at the moment and the clumsy navigation to find those shows. Mind you, I'm not much of a sports fan, but it seems like there are bunch of apps that provide it. And I have over-the-air access to local news through an indoor antenna. I've never had any issues with data download limits.

If you are nervous about taking the plunge, don't be... it's kind of like having a super PVR. Once you get into the new way of consuming television entertainment, you will not believe how lived so long using the old method.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-01-11, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I in in hanover Ontario. 2 hours north or toronto. I am a Montreal fan so i have no trouble with blackouts on GCL. Never tried the toronto gema on it so I don't know
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 07:08 PM

I'm wondering, Apple TV 4th Gen users, if I can play home videos on this platform? I'm debating between a 3rd or 4th Gen. The price is double for the 4th so I want to be certain. I have a number of movies on iTunes that are in the home video tab that I can't access on my iPhone.

canadaman111 it's not often I hear of someone in Hanover, my cousins live in Chesley and I've spent a lot of time there. Love small town Canada, I'm in Mississauga now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.