Apple TV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 09:49 PM

I play my home video's on the Apple TV 4 using Plex (server software). Plex will ensure just about any video format will play on the Apple TV 4. There are other Apple apps that will also do this (e.g. VLC). I seriously recommend the Apple TV 4 over the 3 because of the app store. You only need the 32 GB model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 01:25 PM

I recommend Infuse (especially the paid version which is something like $11.99) for Apple TV 4. It plays every single format imaginable and detects my NAS for streaming my files and sorts everything perfectly.
meshmellow likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-03-27, 05:11 PM

Infuse also plays AC3 digital audio, which many of the other AppleTV streamers won't.

Motorola DCX 3400 (x3), DCT6412 PIII on Shaw Cable, watch HD only

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 11:37 AM

some ATV questions

Hi folks
I am getting ready to finally cut my Bell services after my 2 year contract expires. I will go with a another provider for internet and VOIP, and I was looking at the ATV to access some services like Netflix and sports. I am not interested in doing the VPN or unblocking thing, so I am only going to use what comes with the ATV in Canada. I like the look of CraveTV, but do they offer subscriptions to non-Bell customers yet? Is Shomi comparable, and can I subscribe to it without being a Rogers customer? Similarly, what sports services can I get as standalone subscriptions (NHL, MLB, NBA, MLS)?
I currently have a lot of ripped DVDs and downloaded material on a Synology NAS, and access it with my Yamaha blu-ray player but it has limited apps for services. I have purchases from itunes, so I need to know if I can stream those with the ATV without running itunes on my computer. It seems obvious that it would, but I have read conflicting information.
I was looking at the 3rd gen, but from what I am reading here, the 4th gen looks more versatile for future uses, and there are apps that will allow me to access my NAS files without using the blu-ray player.
Finally, how is the internet radio app? I get very poor reception OTA in my area so this looks appealing. Is it basically like Galaxie in range of genres and quality of sound?

Thanks
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 12:17 PM

Speaking of streaming media to the ATV, I am actually quite happy with AirPlay.

@PG44 : Yes, you can subscribe to CraveTV without being a Bell customer. It started a couple of months ago. It works very well on my ATV.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerakmacd View Post
I'm wondering, Apple TV 4th Gen users, if I can play home videos on this platform?
Plex is pretty much always the answer for all local streaming options

You have to work hard to find hardware it won't work with

ATV4 and ability to use certain apps is a nice addition
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 11:08 AM

I would agree with Tikker.

Generally in the long run, the ATV4 is your best option.. though may have some issues initially, depending on services needed.

- Your apple TV purchases (movies, TV, etc) yes you can stream directly from the net on it.
IF you have them downloaded on a PC with itunes, and have homesharing on, you can stream them from there if you want (save internet usage if its an issue).

- I agree for your LOCAL content, PLEX would be the best choice. Your NAS should have the ability to install the PLEX server application on it. It will give you a more netflix type interface (with episode info, watched/unwatched, etc) for your home stuff.. vs say the basic DLNA file list interfaces. The ATV4 now has a full plex application for playback.

- Netflix is no issue on the ATV. For the sports.. i know there is the GCL for NHL, and the MLB apps (at least on the ATV3). Not positive on NFL though, may be more apps on the ATV4. These will all require separate subscriptions to their services.

The ATV4 right now though, for the OTHER services like CRAVE and SHOMI, don't have a proper app yet. (with the OS change on the ATV4.. they havent made it yet) These are present on the ATV3... BUT the ATV3 doesnt have a Plex interface.
That being said.. both of them do support AIRPLAY.
I have plex server at home, both my basement and living room PCs have apps which can directly access it. My TV in the bedroom does not. I have the ATV3 up there. If i want to use plex... i just stream it from my phone/tablet via AIRPLAY.

As for Shomi/Crave... its just like any other.. its all dependent on WHAT you want to watch.
There are many who have said X service is crap, there is nothing to watch. Really, its personal opinion. I have watched a fair number of stuff on Shomi myself.. but may be stuff that others dont like/want to watch. (there is a TON of kids programming).
So really need to try and investigate if either of them would have content you wish.
(may be worth looking at too, when you are looking at your internet.. check the bigger providers as well.. Depending on the speed package and usage.. some of them at the higher/faster end are really in the same range.. and SOME of them may include free SHOMI or GCL (or similar) with getting it.)

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the insight. I have been doing some more digging and I think going ATV4 is the better option. I managed to find the programming lists for Shomi and Crave, and while there are things on both that are of interest to me, and on Netflix for that matter, they both lack the kind of programming for my pre-teens (basically YTV and Nickelodeon stuff) that netflix offers. Anyway, those services can be stopped and started easily enough. I installed Plex on my laptop awhile ago but it did not do a good job of finding all the files on my attached HDD. I may try again with the NAS, but I don't necessarily need all the fancy UI and artwork. Next step is an OTA antenna for local networks. At least I can get some sports and live events that way.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 04:20 PM

Without plex.. you may need to install something like VLC? (assuming it can be installed on the ATV4)
Something that can see a network share, DLNA, etc. (doesn't natively)

I have tried WMC, media portal, and other similar things to Plex.. and found plex the EASIEST at finding stuff.
Main kicker, is that things need to be ORGANIZED at least a bit.
Movies, shows, etc need to be separate folders.. then point the appropriate 'catagory' (Movies, etc) to that folder.
Then the scrapper will go find the right stuff.

Yeah.. nice thing with Netflix, shomi, crave, can always sub, unsub, as need be if you so chose.

GDKitty
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 08:21 PM

Thanks gdkitty. VLC does have an app for ATV, and there is one called Infuse. The fact that most of my content, including converted itunes files, are on the NAS being able to do it all from one device would be nice. I played with it a bit today in BB and it is pretty slick.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 12:12 PM
Rookie

An app for SHOMI and CRAVE does exist for the ATV 4.

I have them both.

Mr.6
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 03:51 PM

Sorry! you are right!

As of a short while ago, there was not... the ATV4 wasn't supported.. But it looks like it is now!

GDKitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.