Slingbox with Bell Sat? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Slingbox with Bell Sat?

Sorry maybe in the wrong category. Does anyone have any experience with using Slingbox with Bell satellite? Does it work decent? OR any recomendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 06:14 PM
Veteran

Works fine, just make sure you use the correct remote code (and that is easy to find using your remote).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

OK then I hope Santa brings me one!
I have very limited knowledge about how it works (other then the very very basic info off their website). Do I need a minimum home internet speed, etc..
I`m looking at the 500 model.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 09:37 PM

Here is some info on network speeds:

Slingbox.com - Network speed requirements for SlingPlayer for iPad

For the highest quality, you will need about 1.2 Mbps upload speed from your home with the Bell Satellite receiver and 1.2 Mbps download speed where you will watch the video.

Video uses a lot of bandwidth so you should be aware that both the upload and download will count against the usage for the internet plans they are connected with.

Also, you will be controlling the Bell receiver while you are watching, so someone else at home won't be able to watch a different channel on the Bell receiver that is connected to the Slingbox.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-11-27, 01:45 AM
DHC Supporter

Slingbox 500 works great with Bell TV...Watched all the Canucks hockey from Palm Springs last winter from my 9242 at home.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-11-30, 03:53 PM

Yeah my parents use my slingbox to view my Bell 6141 receiver in FLA.Works great.I am with Techsavvy and upload does not count as usage so thats also cool.As one stated the Receiver hooked up to the Slingbox cannot be used at the same time unless perhaps the 9242 which has two receiver outputs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-02, 04:56 PM
Veteran

Bell uses receivers made by the American Dish Network (Echostar) and Slingbox is actually owned by Dish ... so the Slings are actually made to work and control the receivers Bell uses.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-03, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV101 View Post
so the Slings are actually made to work and control the receivers Bell uses.
No, not really. Slingbox was a company long before Echostar purchased them and wasn't made specifically for the Echostar receivers as you say.

Though they do work fine, they also control a LOT of other devices, like, every device imaginable, from CCTV DVRs to VCRs to Laserdiscs... okay maybe not Laserdisc, but you get the point.

All that the Slingbox is doing is pulling the video, repackaging it in a better compressed format for transmission and allowing you to send commands via the Slingbox to the receiver via an IR blaster.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-04, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

How about the app?

I have an extra receiver so I can dedicate it for the Slingbox. I`ve read mixed reviews about the app though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-09, 02:55 PM

To follow up on colinpeddle's post, the list of devices supported by a Slingbox (at least the Slingbox HD Pro) is quite estounding with a rather large number of devices whose only reason for beaing threatens DISH's business...

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-13, 09:09 PM

Have been running a slingbox off of my 9242 without any hiccups for the last 3 years. Love it. Purchase all the sports packages on Bell and then can stream anywhere. As someone noted above, if you can't get the system configured to Bell then use Dish Network codes. Also use component versus HDMI to hook-up to receiver. Just ensure your have good upload bandwidth. Slingbox says 1 MBPS required for HD picture... but 2 MBPS is just on the cusp of reliable HD without dropouts / regular dropdowns in quality. ios and Andriod apps have worked well for me - note there is a cost for each. Have had mixed results with Apple TV and Chromecast to handoff from tablet to television. Heard Roku is the best but haven't personally tried...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 08:47 PM

Best results I have had for streaming the Sling signal back to a TV set is with my SONY Google TV NSZ-GS7. There's a Sling site you can use to connect to your Slingbox and the quality is the best I've seen so far. I tried so many other options in the last 10 years I used Slingboxes! (SlingCatcher, Dlink Boxee box, WD, Apple TV, Sling catcher.... Nothing matches the quality of my SONY box. Just note that they are no longer supported and only work with older SlingBoxes and the 500.

Love my Slingbox. Been using it to connect to a Cable Box in France to watch home programming. You need a minimum 1.5 Mbps feed for a decent HD stream, but the higher the better. At 3-5 Mbps, it begins to get close to what you can get from a feed from your local cable box.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-12-25, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

So quick update to my original post....and more help needed please. Santa did drop off a 500 as a early Christmas present. I have got it setup working at home no problem. The problem I have is away from home using the app on my iPhone it only works when using cell data, trying it off WiFi it gives the message that "it can not connect to the slingbox, check to see if the iPhone and slingbox are connected to the interent". It also says the same message when trying it on an iPad over the same Wifi.
So is this a Wifi problem or a slingbox setup issue? I assume I could try Wifi somewhere else to see if it works.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-08-29, 12:41 AM

So this is several months late, apologies, don't get out here very often. I have found better connectivity via the web browser vs using the Slingbox app or program on my computer. Log into the Slingbox website and use that to connect back via wifi/internet as opposed to the app. The compression is also more efficient via the browser, in my view. Less stuttering.

My main use is Slingbox at home into a Bell satellite PBR, Telus Internet 25 at home, to my cabin in Panorama, also with Internet 25 from Telus, but the Pano connection is really flakey. Especially when the resort has a lot of traffic. (Holidays, Xmas, Family Day, etc). The browser connection works best.

Did you complete the setup process? Maybe go through that again for internet connectivity....good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-08-29, 09:42 AM
Veteran

The Sling box works beautiful connected to my Bell 9242. No issues what so ever

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.