Video Card Output: SVGA versus HDMI? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Video Card Output: SVGA versus HDMI?

A wee bit of a dilemma

I have a LED TV that has all the inputs, baseband, RF, composite and VGA (RGB), two HDMI and One USB

My computer is older (by today's standards) and it has a VGA out put for the monitor. I rigged up a splitter or "Y" connection so I can see on the TV what ever is on the monitor via the VGA input on the TV. Every thing works 100%.

These 2 systems are for the home office and I used to have a smaller cupboard and the smaller TV was inside the cupboard. I made a small remodel of the home office, so that smaller cupboard is gone and now I want to get a larger TV possibly a 32 inch or a 40 inch pending price. I find very few TVs have VGA input, there are some but rare. A few of the Best Buy people suggested that the HDMI works great for the computer to the TV. But I would have to buy a VGA to HDMI adaptor. Problems is, my computer only has a VGA output and no HDMI

I will eventually be buying a new computer, just not now/yet.

Do the newer computers (desk top and in my case a tower) use HDMI as a video-out instead of the VGA that I am used to.

Consider also that I have two monitors that have VGA only
Would you suggest that I go for the newer TV with HDMI and use the MDMI to VGA adapter
Open to suggestions, concepts and ideas
TIA

Last edited by JerryJ; 2015-11-21 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 02:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

PC graphics cards are all commonly available with HDMI output. Many allow dual monitors/outputs. I would suggest looking through the selection of graphics cards available at sites like ncix.ca, newegg.ca, and tigerdirect.ca to get the picture (pun intended). You'll need to know what kind of slots/specifications your present computer uses in order to get a good match. A PC repair shop should be able to tell you pretty well instantly what would work just by looking at your PC's innards and OS.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 05:17 PM
Veteran

A VGA to HDMI adapter may not work well or may not work at all. (HDMI is digital and VGA ports are analog.) As already suggested, I would consider a cheap video card. First, check the slots in the computer to see what it takes. Most newer video cards are PCIe but the computer sounds like it may be AGP. Last I looked, some AGP cards were available but that may have changed. A new PC would be the best option. From the sounds of it, even a new bottom of the line or fairly recent used PC would outperform the existing one and it would probably have the needed video ports.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 05:32 PM

Most add on graphics card have HDMI and DVI now, but I think 90% of them need a PCI-E slot on your motherboard. If your PC is old enough to only have VGA output then it is possible it does not have a PCI-E slot. So I agree that someone needs to take the cover off and see what is in there.
I doubt you'll need to pay more than $110 for a suitable card.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-22, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Since 2012, I have had an HTPC, with VGA, DVI-D,and HDMI. I have upgraded it once, and boards to build another have all had those outputs on the mother board. I use my current one HDMI to TV, DVI-D to monitor. I have used my old one VGA to monitor, HDMI to TV.

I have not used a GPU card in a desktop system since my 2000s era desktop.
I have not done VGA+VGA since that system (with a DVI-I to VGA adapter).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-23, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks guys for the "input"
I recently went to my local computer shop and explained there, too, what my situation was. Not all sales people have all the correct knowledge so asking you guys as well as them gave me a more rounded answer. I needed to know anything that helped me decide.
He said I can get a video card that does VGA and HDMI on the same card, keeping the VGA for my existing monitor and HDMI for the new TV, just lack of knowledge on my part.

He said he could install a new card for $50 or so and off to the races. Just hoping my PC isn't too old that my mother board can take the combo VGA and HDMI fingers and toes crossed
So, thanks to you guys for helping understand more about what I needed to know.
Just hope Black Friday, Cyber Monday pays off for that new TV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.