Chromecast and windows 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Red face Chromecast and windows 10

Planning on buying a Chromecast, and am wondering if there are any problems using it with Windows 10. I do have a win 7 laptop, a win 10 netbook and a Linux netbook, plus a win 7 desktop. Which would be the better choice to use as a caster ( I would prefer one of the netbooks -- both stream netflix and crave tv (win 10 one only) quite well).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 12:41 PM

I haven't streamed Netflix, but casting from Chrome on Windows 10 from both a desktop and a Surface has been fine. The way it works is that you pull up whatever you want to cast in Chrome and then use the Google Cast extension to cast it. After that, the Chromecast goes directly to the network and your computer isn't involved until you decide you want to cast something new. Because of this, system resources on the computer aren't really a concern.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Does your desktop need to have wireless capabilities or not necessary for chromecast to work?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 09:22 AM
Veteran

The desktop PC does not need wireless. After it is set up, the Chromecast communicates with the main router. I believe a wireless device or PC is required for the initial setup but that is the only time it is necessary. There is an Android app for setup.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Yeah I do this all the time. The version of Windows does not matter as it requires the Chrome browser. There are two ways to chromecast. If the app / website supports the chromecast natively such as CTV.ca or Shomi.com and Youtube then the cast gets handed off from Chrome directly to the chromecast. You can also do a Chrome tab cast where your PC browser stays in the mix. I do this for discovery.ca or tsn.ca since they don't support chromecast natively. Canadian tv providers are very selective as to which sites / apps support chromecast natively.

Tab casting generally doesn't have as good of PQ as native support. You can still use your laptop while the tab is casting minimize Chrome etc. If you close it though then the stream is lost.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-12-05, 11:12 AM

Question in the form of a statement:

Assuming Guest Mode is off. To initially set up Chromecast, you need to download and run the Chromecast app using some device. Once that is done, any other device inside your network now has access to the Chromecast using some Chromecast enabled application (eg Spotify). These other devices do not require the installation of the actual Chromecast app. Is this all true?

Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-12-05, 01:16 PM
Veteran

That is correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.