Windows 10 w/ OTA Live + PVR TV Support - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 11:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have tried many of the PVR solutions through the years including WMC, BeyondTV and SageTV ...
And years have passed since at least two of those programs have had major updates. Kodi (aka XBMC), MediaPortal and NextPVR have all improved significantly in that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 01:43 PM

Hmm this seems pretty important and awesome if it does indeed work properly.

Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially be installed on Windows 10

Lobo
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Kodi is leaps and bounds above Windows Media Center.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Except Kodi can't record protected content. Also doesn't support all capture devices (like mine!).
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post

Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially be installed on Windows 10

Lobo
Yeah I saw this as well. Interesting to say the least. I read through part of the thread on MDL but didn't make it to the end. They were trying to sort out the red tray icon record button and guide data which is broken for some even on 7 / 8.1 installations. (not for me for some reason #itjustworks)

Three files where hacked / changed (hex edited) to make the thing work. Makes me wonder if SFC would pick them up and what about updates? Also, not sure how MS is going to react to this. Will it be the same as the Aero / Win7 games / desktop gadget hacks that are out there that have been pretty much left alone, or does WMC deserve special attention?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-09-13, 09:59 AM
Veteran

As I see it, Kodi is just a front end. You need a back end to DVR.
Whatver back-end you choose, you still need to provide an EPG, with nothing (I know of) straight legit and free like WMC.

If I hear of some solution with a legitimately free (no XML scrapers or PSIP) EPG, I'd like to know.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-06-22, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post

I'm curious if running the hacked version of WMC on Windows 10 works well. I originally thought it would very fragile, but it seems OK based on the Digital Life thread.

I plan to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and try it before the Windows10 upgrade offer expires on July 29. My questions are:

1. Is it stable across Windows updates?
2. Does the guide work?
3. Is there a summary for a Canadian OTA install? I live in Winnipeg so I can't use a U.S. Zip Code.
4. Has anyone dual-booted Win 10 and 8.1? I plan to keep 8.1 on a separate partition as a hot backup in case WMC under Win 10 gets trashed. I currently have Win 7 and 8.1 partitions.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-09-06, 08:58 AM

I'm not sure how many people are using WMC under Windows 10, but I thought I would update this thread. In late July, I successfully installed Win 10 on my old Win 7 Home Premium partition and used my Win 8.1 Pro licence key to make sure I got the Win 10 Pro version. Dual boot with Win 8 works fine. I have mainly been using Win 8, but I tinkered with Win 10 on the weekends.

I used the alternate branch of the WMC installer (version 8.8.1 by user T-S.) following the readme instructions. Then I ran Peter Near's fix to turn on the ATSC flag for Canada. IMPORTANT - Peter Near's BAT file doesn't work if you "Run as Administrator" - just click it to run. I set up my Canadian postal code and my dual tuner Hauppauge 2250 works fine for OTA and the guide works. Note: I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the manufacturer before installing WMC, just to be on the safe side.

I installed the Win 10 Anniversary Update on Monday and one bonus is that the 5.1 audio now works in WMC. Previously, it was just playing stereo.

It appears that the Anniversary Update unintentionally broke the ability of U.S. CableCARD users to record protected content like HBO. Microsoft seems to be changing the way they handle DRM in Win 10 and since WMC isn't being maintained, the PlayReady module no longer works for protected content. This doesn't affect Canadian OTA users since we couldn't do that anyway.

I still plan to keep the Win 8.1 partition as a hot backup in case something happens to WMC in Win 10 in the future.
OddyOh likes this.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-09-09, 11:23 AM

Here's another post about installing MC on the anniversary update of Win10.

How to install Windows Media Center on Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Any difference from the previous instructions for setting it up?

Lobo
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-09-09, 01:34 PM

If you are running Win 10 WMC, the MDL thread recommends uninstalling it first and that V8.8.1 has the best uninstaller.

The installation is the same for Win10AU, just ignore any PlayReady errors. I don't know if there any issues with network tuners such as the HDHomerun, but I think there are ways around that as long as you aren't using Cable CARD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.