Windows 10 w/ OTA Live + PVR TV Support - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 11:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
tried kodi only to find theres no actual pvr functionality
And there probably never will. It relies on other PVR software to provide the TV backend. I use NextPVR and it works well. There are about a dozen options, including Myth and MediaPortal. Look in the PVR addons section in Kodi to see what is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I haven't heard about XboxOne recording if you could pass on a link that would be great. I just started playing with the smart glass streaming of OTA from XboxOne. It works quite well. The new 360s are quiet but getting a new one may not be a wise investment at this point, depends I guess. (It is the only new extender left)

There seems to be a number of contenders poking their head up at the moment such as KODI plug-ins for Silicondust, Silicondust DVR on kickstarter, PLEX, NextPVR (been around for a bit has a Roku app etc.) Us OTA'ers have a few more options than the CableCARD crowd at least for now. Media Center is also not going away for now, but many fear the EPG support will get pulled at any time + being able to actually purchase the $10.00 add-on in the future.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-05-31, 01:28 PM

I'll try to find the link but I read the the Xbox One DVR will be live by the end of the year.

Media Room: Panasonic 65", 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR626, Xbox One/360, Alienware Alpha, Gateway, HDPVR, PS3, 42" Samsung

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-05-31, 02:03 PM
Veteran

My questions about the Xbox One DVR:

1. Does it record TV programs while you're doing other things (e.g. gaming)?

2. Does it allow other "client" devices to watch recorded shows and schedule new recordings?

3. Can it use network storage devices to record all that data?
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-05-31, 08:00 PM
Veteran

isn't the author of Sichbopvr Canadian?
Woulda thunk some of you Canadians may have tried it?
http://www.sichbopvr.com/#download

Once upon a time when I used windows, I used to use NextPVR (was called GBPVR at the time). All these apps are free and pretty much having the same functionality.

SBGH/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
My questions about the Xbox One DVR:

1. Does it record TV programs while you're doing other things (e.g. gaming)?

2. Does it allow other "client" devices to watch recorded shows and schedule new recordings?

3. Can it use network storage devices to record all that data?
Well if the current setup is any indication....

1. Yes. Basing this on being able to access the tuner for smart glass streaming of OTA content while gaming. That said only one (USB) tuner is currently supported.

2. I would assuming recordings would be accessible via smartglass the same way live currently is. Same thing with scheduling.

3. I suspect Nope. The Xbox uses a different storage format and currently can only address it via USB 3 port.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-25, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Moving from WMC - I am at a loss

I have tried Kodi and MediaPortal2.

I can't believe how much set-up they require! I followed a few tutorials - this is insane. I have not even been able to see TV (I have a PC TV Tuner) like I do with WMC.

I also tried SageTV but it bugs me on my postal code (Canada here). I entered ZIP codes, same result.

What is the best (read most similar to WMC) software that will handle simple a PVR function and TV schedule?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-07-26 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-26, 12:35 AM
Veteran

Silicondust (the people who make HDHomeRun tuners) are making a replacement for WMC that could turn out to be very good.

The kickstarter is over, but the product should be available in the coming months...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-26, 09:30 AM
Veteran

I don't agree with Kodi requiring too much setup. It's pretty much ready to go, even with a fresh installation. The only setup usually required is to point it at media sources but that's required of any media server. The biggest job is getting the backend TV server configured but that's not part of Kodi. Configuring the TV server in MCE requires a lot of setup as well, especially for Canada. Once that is done, just configure the TV module in Kodi, which is fairly easy and basically just consists of enabling it and pointing it at the server. (It can use the MCE TV server so the difference from MCE is trivial. I use NextPVR which, in Canada, is easier to set up than MCE.) The nice thing about Kodi is that there is lots of choice for TV servers so pick the one that works best or is easiest to set up.

I'd agree that MediaPortal is a chore to set up. Worst parts are the TV server and CODECs with the latter being the most finicky.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-26, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I don't agree with Kodi requiring too much setup. It's pretty much ready to go, even with a fresh installation. The only setup usually required is to point it at media sources but that's required of any media server.
I just wanted it to point.... on my antenna!
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-26, 02:10 PM
Veteran

I use KODI with NextPVR. It works well, provides a nice EPG too. It's not too hard to setup either. A nice supplement to OTA is the FTV add-on which provides an EPG loaded with most of the UK Freeview channels, provided by FilmOn, which are completely legal to use everywhere except in the U.S., and they are geo-blocked there anyways. The only Freeview channel geo-blocked in Canada is Motors Tv
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I feel your pain Saintor. I've been trying a few different things over the last few months. I gave up for a while but really need to consider all this again as Windows 10 is here!

Being that I have a PCI tuner and also an older Silicon Dust that isn't used that much. My last resort is to upgrade my HTPC to 10, abandon the PCI card, and use the built in Hyper-V to host a Windows 8.1 MC installation that uses the Silicon Dust over the network rather than the PC card. Then it can sit there forever and who cares! If I replace the HTPC I can just carry the VM forward. My only concern with that setup is the cost for another license + media center add-on and the storage. I don't want the recordings to reside in the VM so some sort of NAS / shared storage solution will be required.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 11:40 AM
Veteran

In my case, I relegated an unused Win7 HTPC to be a dedicated media server. It does the PVR recording and serves TV to other HTPCs and media players. I have no doubt that at least one of those will be running Win10 in the near future. That way, only the media player on the HTPC needs to be Win10 compatible. I will be testing Kodi on Win10 sometime soon.

Another option may be a Linux distro such as MythBuntu for the VM or back end PC.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I also tried SageTV but it bugs me on my postal code (Canada here). I entered ZIP codes, same result.
That may be because SageTV is being turned into Open Source software so they had to remove the ability to get guide data, even for trial versions due to licensing issues. Hopefully that will be resolved in the near future.

I have tried many of the PVR solutions through the years including WMC, BeyondTV and SageTV and I found SageTV to be the best for a variety of reasons, not the least was the client-server architecture and extenders that make it easy to have many end points in your house.

Check back with SageTV in a few months when the Open Source version has been released.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm going to try a NextPVR build here along side my Win 8.1 MC machine. If that doesn't work satisfactory (and I have my doubts) I am going to try the Hyper-V MC idea. So far off to a rocky start trying to figure out what to use for Codecs. yuck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.