Android TV Box - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-13, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Android TV Box

Hey all,

I recently got myself an Android TV Box and was playing around with it.. seems pretty cool so far.

Anyone else here use or don't use them? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-13, 06:53 PM

Mygica 1800e. Quad Core Arm, 2GB RAM, 16 GB Flash. HDMI, SD Card slot.

Primarily running Netflix, HuluPlus, XBMC, Plex, Songza, Weather, Skype (for my USB camera), and IP Camera App for viewing my off-site camera's from home. It has 4 USB ports. The remote that comes with it can be programmed to turn TV on/off/volume and input selection. The KR300 mouse (optional) has a speaker/mic built into the gyro remote with full keyboard on one side and playback controls on other side. It is a 4K device, although I don't have a 4K TV.

It does more than my Roku's or Apple TV's. Best device so far. Fast. Silent. Low Power.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-13, 10:58 PM
Veteran

I have a Minix X7 with similar specs. It does a lot of things right but the big disappointment is the video section. It does not decode MPEG2 video well and video quality leaves a lot to be desired. The unit is shipped with a 720p kernel which explains part of the issue. I tried installing 1080p firmware but XBMC messed something up and now doesn't work properly at 1080p at all. Comparing Netflix video quality to the HTPC or Chromecast is like night and day. The Minix doesn't even come close to the video and audio quality of either.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-20, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Oh wow really.. is that the case with all android devices with XBMC or is it just particular ones?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-22, 08:28 PM

I don't really see any difference using my android box. Perhaps it is because the hardware is 4K based (but I am only using 1080p). Or, my eyes are just that bad.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-23, 11:51 AM

I Just gave up my WDlive and now I run a Matricom Qbox in the family room and an Amazon FireTV in the upstairs.

The Qbox is great, but not user friendly for a novice to android or Kodi.
The amazon is really plug and play, running Netflix and Hulu really well. It took me some tinkering with adb and llama to get the box running kodi, but so far so good.

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-27, 06:22 AM

I run a Mygica 1600 exclusively for XBMC and I came from a WDTV 3rd gen. It's like going from a farm truck puttering the back 40 to a BMW on the autobahn. So much more this box is capable of than the old WDTV it's crazy, and I've used maybe 25% of the features.

Android itself takes a little while getting used to (4.2.2) and it's not quite as stable as a simpler streamer, but there really isn't any reason to keep cable when you have one.

The picture quality is okay - definitely liveable - but my PS3 runs circles around the Mygica in terms of PC especially in Netflix.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-27, 07:35 AM
Veteran

The device I have has a dvb-s2 satellite tuner in it.
Not a bad little box for ~ $75.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 01:49 AM

I have several, Smart TV is useless in comparison, some apps aren't remote friendly, but I have an air mouse to navigate.

I like that they are cheap, but they can be unstable. If you are a bit tech savvy they are awesome. I mostly use XBMC to stream my a/v collection from my desktop PC. But I like the Android apps, which is why I keep the Android OS over a more stable Linux XBMC build

Currently have 2 quad core S82's, an MX2 (gbox clone), another no name off shore. Also run a Pi. Recently have replaced the one in my Media room with a straight up HTPC running Kodi over Windows 8. PC is better but the Android boxes are still nice, and about a 1/10th the cost

Media Room: Panasonic 65", 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR626, Xbox One/360, Alienware Alpha, Gateway, HDPVR, PS3, 42" Samsung
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 04:00 PM
Rookie

i have gbox midnight and ouya...i have alot of trouble and quality is not great. I only have BELL 5M service. What kinda service do you guys use to get an hd picture from these boxes?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 04:44 PM

If you are referring to the online streaming apps, I find them to be a complete waste of time.

I've ripped my entire blu-ray collection at full quality and stream them with little to no problems through wired connections.

I have a pi on wifi in my bedroom that has a hard time keeping up to blu-ray rips. It stutters quite a bit.

As far as trouble, do some research for the most stable firmware. New isn't always better.

If I wasn't comfortable with flashing firmware, recovering bricked devices and general troubleshooting. I wouldn't buy 1. I find them, for the most part very unstable with regular crashing. My wife reboots it everytime she uses it.

I have an Alienware Alpha running kodi, way better, way faster, way more stable with better picture and sound quality, but we are also talking nearly 10 times the price. And no android apps.

If you don't want android apps I'd look for a Linux based Kodi build. Then Kodi pretty much becomes your OS, doesn't have a glitchy android OS to deal with along with a glitchy Kodi build.

Media Room: Panasonic 65", 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR626, Xbox One/360, Alienware Alpha, Gateway, HDPVR, PS3, 42" Samsung
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 08:59 PM
Veteran

OpenELEC is the Kodi distro of choice for lightweight hardware. Last time I looked they don't support ARM hardware though. There are a couple of Linux distros that can be installed on some Android boxes and then Kodi, Myth or some other media software installed. I am disappointed with the Minix X7 but event they have a new Android box out that has slightly better specs. Until ARM video and audio hardware improves dramatically, let's just say I would rather spend $300 on a low end AMD or Intel HTPC than than $150 on another ARM box.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 11:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
OpenELEC is the Kodi distro of choice for lightweight hardware. Last time I looked they don't support ARM hardware though.
But the Raspberry Pis are ARM. They aren't Android boxes but they are an alternative. I think the original Pi was ARM v6 and the just released RPi 2 is ARM v7.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-03-02, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
OpenELEC is the Kodi distro of choice for lightweight hardware. Last time I looked they don't support ARM hardware though. There are a couple of Linux distros that can be installed on some Android boxes and then Kodi, Myth or some other media software installed. I am disappointed with the Minix X7 but event they have a new Android box out that has slightly better specs. Until ARM video and audio hardware improves dramatically, let's just say I would rather spend $300 on a low end AMD or Intel HTPC than than $150 on another ARM box.
They exist, I've run a linux build on a few different android boxes. You had to run the Pivos Xios as a Linux XBMC build when it came out, now you can run it android. I'm running Gotham XBMC Linux build on an S82 (same board as a S89/MXIII/M8) right now. They exist, just got to look for them.

You paid too much, I've had probably 10 different Android boxes now. Get a S802 quad core Amlogic chip, The PQ is pretty good, way better than Rockchip devices, like the X7. Only complaint about audio is no HD audio. Can pick them up for under $100 from overseas. Rockchip is hands down way better for emulating NES and stuff like that, but for video AmLogic is best.

Personally, I like my Alpha way better than any Arm box, but I'll take a $100 arm box over any "smart" tv. I have 3 smart Tv's, other than Netflix I don't use the smart features on any of them. It's cheap to add an Android box to every TV. It'll play any file type without stressing your desktop cpu transcoding. Plus any app you are used too on your phone if you can have, just add an air mouse.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 05:43 PM

Hi there.

I'm a Canadian looking for an android box to run kodi, netflix, etc. There are so many options out there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.