android media player box - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-17, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

android media player box

So, I'm thinking of getting one of these Android, media player boxes, supposedly has all sorts of apps, and access to quite a few channels. It runs XMBC I believe... anyways, I have very little experience with streaming, just wondering if anybody would have a ballpark idea of how much data would be used if someone was to watch approximately 35-40 hours of week of 1080p content? Trying to make sure that I wouldn't go over my internet cap on Shaw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-18, 12:30 AM
Veteran

Using Netflix as an example, at "normal" HD, which is ~2.3GB/hr, you're looking at between 322-368 GB for a 4-week month if your use is between 35-40 hours per week.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-18, 11:54 PM
Veteran

I mostly watch streamed content in HD (720 & 1080), approx 30-40 hrs per week, and along with all my usual internet traffic my average data usage is around 250-260gb per month

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 12:27 AM

I have 4 different android TV boxes, not one works perfectly.
I love them and they all do what I want, most of the time,

Haven't got pass through audio to work on the rockchip boxes, but I haven't tried in a bit, use my current rockchip quad core box for old school video games.
Amlogic boxes I have the most luck with, but they often have audio sync issues,
Can be fixed with a few internet searches, but I wasn't impressed when out of the box I couldn't stream video from my computer with pass through audio in sync.
I've also run into stuttering video.
The dual core boxes tend to have the most stable firmware. The quad core boxes handle 1080p and the heavier xbmc skins better, but I've had to do several firmware updates, and am now playing with custom firmware.

I'd also pickup an air mouse/keyboard remote if you plan on heavy use. The IR remotes they come with can do most everything, way easier with an air mouse though

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 07:35 PM

i have 2 ouya game consoles i run XBMC on and have not run into any problems with xbmc. its great for XBMC but if you were looking to use somethig liek netflix on it can get very involed to install since it uses its own custom android OS

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-06-19 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 08:33 PM

No HD audio passthrough with the ouya either, from what I've read

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

the one I was looking at was called a Midnight Express, or something like that... still thinking about it, but will have to look at upgrading my internet possibly as from the looks of it, I'd use about double of what my quota is supposed to be...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 11:48 PM

Quote:
No HD audio passthrough with the ouya either, from what I've read
they didn't have it for a long time but they released an update in April that enables it
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-20, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggellert View Post
the one I was looking at was called a Midnight Express, or something like that... still thinking about it, but will have to look at upgrading my internet possibly as from the looks of it, I'd use about double of what my quota is supposed to be...
G-box midnight? it's amlogic dual core,
ouya might be a better buy

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-20, 08:32 PM
Veteran

I have a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc and using a diNovo Mini. It started out really slow but the later builds have been much better. I don't use it for anything too serious but XBMC is fun to play with.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-21, 12:29 AM

I had a pivos xios, found it ran xbmc slow. Switched to mygica dual core, much better no complaints.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-21, 02:18 AM

I have a Pi and had a Pivos Xios both running linux xbmc, both slow compared to to the amlogic dual core and I mostly use the boxes for the android stuff not xbmc,
I have a quad core rockchip and amlogic, they are the way to go, I can see where the ouya would be good too.
Xios is over priced for its performance, Pi is cool, the interface is slow, but it works, you can also do other stuff with it the android boxes won't do.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-22, 08:07 PM

I have Ouya, theMini, 2 Quad core Android boxes and find Ouya is quickest to response and will almost never freeze up.It is not the best however for being user friendly.It needs to be rooted to use other Android Apps such as Showbox.It is also not the box you let your kids walk out of the house with because you need to insert your credit card NO. before you can even use it.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 11:23 PM

I have a Mygica dual core. It is great. No speed issues on playback. I have 25/10 adsl internet. My only issue is the lack of 5.1 content.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I have Ouya, theMini, 2 Quad core Android boxes and find Ouya is quickest to response and will almost never freeze up.It is not the best however for being user friendly.It needs to be rooted to use other Android Apps such as Showbox.It is also not the box you let your kids walk out of the house with because you need to insert your credit card NO. before you can even use it.
it only asks for a CC when you register the box for the first time. after that you can set parental controls to prevent anyone from buying anything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.