PleX Media Server - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-15, 07:09 PM

Anybody have experience with the Plex app on the new Vizio M series TV's? I just bought a Vizio M70 C3 and I have to say the Plex app really sucks. I was using a mycloudmirror NAS as my server and thought it may be too shy on power, so I went and got a Mac Mini for my media server. I still cannot play a movie on the TV app, but my Roku Stick works fine....it kind of pisses be off that I have a brand new 4K smart TV with the Plex app, and I still have to use a $50 Roku stick!

Vizio M70-C3, Denon AVRS710W, Energy XL25, XL15, & CR10, Mirage Centre, Yamaha Subwoofer, Panasonic BD35, Bell 9242.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-15, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

My guess its the app itself..

I have the Samsung app (which is almost identical to the PHT program for PC) and works fine.
Still works on my OLD LG Smart TV with their old app for accessing it.

I would try and look on the PLEX forums themselves, they often have sections for most app support there.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-16, 10:11 PM

if it's having trouble playing, it's usually an underpowered plex server at issue, not the client app

post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-17, 10:09 AM

The Roku is most likely playing a file it supports natively. The Vizio is most likely causing transcoding. I have the M55-C2 and have no issues playing the files through a virtualised Ubuntu server running Plex.
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-17, 02:50 PM

If you have your settings on your plex server set up to save bandwidth or have to play non-native video files you're gonna have a bad time... eventually... depending on the load on the server.

I've had 7 people streaming off mine with an average load of 3.8-4 on a quad core just fine. Only began to hitch when adding an 8th that was a LAN chromecast.
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-17, 08:59 PM

I an running a brand new Mac Mini with a 1.4ghz i5 processor and 4 gb of ram. I dont think the server is the issue. Can someone suggest the best settings for Plex?...I will review them and see if there are any issues.
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-17, 09:11 PM
AFF

One setting I always use is under Settings/server/Transcoder. Change transcoder quality to Make my pc hurt. This setting got rid of buffering I had.
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman65 View Post
I an running a brand new Mac Mini with a 1.4ghz i5 processor and 4 gb of ram.
how is it networked to the tv? what type of video file are you trying to process?

your best bet is probably server logs, and the plex forums, but it's probably either too high a profile for your wifi to keep up (and the roku is requesting a lower bandwidth profile, and works fine) or the server just isn't keeping up
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 03:12 PM

Was using Plex up until a year ago. Set up a server and hosted my home/family videos to my relatives across Canada.
They loved seeing the old family reunion videos however after hosting (and paying a fee for being a server) for 6 months I shut it down because it wasn't being used much anymore.

I loved the ease of setup and it was easy to help setup on my relatives computers. They found the playback to be great and easy to use.

Will go back to it one of these days.
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 06:47 PM

The TV is connected via CAT 6 cable. Most of the video files are MKV. I think the server is plenty powerful enough. On the plex forums there are lots of people having issues with the app on the Vizio TV's. I guess I will keep tinkering and try to figure it out.

Vizio M70-C3, Denon AVRS710W, Energy XL25, XL15, & CR10, Mirage Centre, Yamaha Subwoofer, Panasonic BD35, Bell 9242.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if its how the player is playing it, etc.

By default, plex just streams to the tv/device.. and allows the device to play it NAITIVELY.. play the file using its own decoders, etc.
It could be how its specifically trying to play them?

I know when I first got my Samsung TV, with the original Plex app on it.. with MKV files with build in subtitles (not an SRT file, etc).. would crash the app/tv.
Would play Divx AVI, mp4, etc without issues.
Was able to change the streaming options per video.. and on those ones, changes it to TRANSCODE first. Put a lot more strain on the server.. but the stream would play properly.

Wondering if the same, where it needs to be fully transcoded first to play on that player?

GDKitty
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 07:28 PM

I have never used PleX, but I have it on my Android TV box.
Is PleX similar to the PS3 media server in that I can share files on my PC, and play them on my TV via a device with PleX installed?

Thanks!
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it acts as a media server.
I can be a DLNA server for devices which dont have a plex app as well.

So you run the server on your PC with your content.. and it creates its own database.

It gives you a NETFLIX like interface for all your media.. where it downloads the TV/MOVIE info so its more than just browsing file names.

Has apps for all the mobile devices, its management interface is simple and web based (which you can also play from)

With a little setup (port forwarding), you can also then access it from OUTSIDE.. stream your content elsewhere, etc.

GDKitty
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 07:47 PM

Great, thanks for the info!
I will give it a try.

Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma/Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD/Sony BDP-S350/Yamaha RX-V3800/Axiom Epic 60 - 500 (7.1)

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-02-19 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-19, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFF View Post
One setting I always use is under Settings/server/Transcoder. Change transcoder quality to Make my pc hurt. This setting got rid of buffering I had.
May get rid of the buffering if you're streaming one device but it may cause you problems down the road. Keep it in mind IF you begin to see buffering/stuttering issues once again and ONLY when multiple people are streaming.

Also the fact that this resolved your issue means you have bandwidth issues from your server to your device, or your device sucks with that file format. But if it's something standard, like mpeg4 then it's bandwidth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.