PleX Media Server - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-05-23, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside720 View Post
All this to say... I'm extremely disappointed with the user interface.
the Roku does NOT have a pretty ui

no doubts about it

it is rock solid for playback though, moreso than any other client I've fiddled with

if you have a samsung smart tv, or blu-ray player, they'll likely support plex, and it's a beautiful interface there

much like the desktop/home theater

I have had some niggling little playback issues with some larger files tho, that don't bother my roku setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-05-24, 12:14 PM
Veteran

What blew my mind about Plex is how simple it was. I spent days and days fiddling with SageTV to get it pretty, cover art, organizing etc. With Plex, I installed it, pointed it at my library and BOOM, all done! I was in awe when I heard the theme music whenever I went into a TV show. (maybe I'm easy to please).2 things that bugs the life out of my about Plex. One is the rewind and FF functions. I have a 4 year old that likes to skip to her favorite parts of her movies and it's completely hit or miss with Plex, sometimes it does it, sometimes it just stops trying and sometimes it just resumes where it was before you tried to move. 2ndly, I have ongoing issues where particular movies won't play and I have to go onto the Plex server and refresh it there. Has happened more often that I consider acceptable.

Overall however it's a great product and Roku 3+Plex is a pretty awesome combination.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-05-24, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Has anyone tried it in a VM? I have it on a dedicated box but have been thinking of combining.

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-05-24, 05:38 PM

Check Rarflix its a homebrew style Roku Channel fro plex front end. I use it.
http://www.rarflix.com/

I am not sure what the difference would be runnign it in a VM? As long as you give it the right resources there should be no difference...??
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-05-25, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Agreed, running in a VM should be fine.

98% of the time, running ANYTHING in a vm, that relies solely on software, etc, should work just fine.
As far as the software knows, its doesn't even know its in a VM.

its only when you sometimes have to access specific hardware, that using a VM can get a little more difficult/restrictive.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Just thought I would add this update here.

https://plex.tv/xbox

Looks like plex (for plexpass subscribers for now) will be available on XboxOne now, and 360 soon.

This is pretty good news at least for me. Currently in the basement, I have a small HTPC which is really just for Netflix and Plex playback. That I have a 360 there (and likely a ONE at some point).. that it would likely remove the need for the HTPC.

GDKitty
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 06:32 PM

yup, i'm installing that as we speak
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 03:13 PM
Veteran

Xbox One client is looking pretty good. Can only play local content no channels but it works as intended. Need a Plex subscription and the latest server installed.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 05:14 PM

well, it can probably natively play most of the channels you wanted, anyways... (netflix, hulu, etc)
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Just saw this on a Plex newsletter.

Looks like they are working with HDHomerun on a specific channel/interface, to be able to connect to a HDhomerun for playback, setting recordings, etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tter+Volume+11

GDKitty
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 2015-05-24, 12:23 AM

nice. we use plex pretty much every day here, even moreso as music support gets better

being able to have an officially supported live tv option would be great. I really briefly had everything working like that with media portal, but it's syncing of watched media was pretty kludgy and problematic
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-01-02, 08:46 PM
Rookie

I am a long time Plex user. Manages libraries well and it passes the ease of use test in that most in the family can stream content when they want.

We run the Plex Media server on a large Ubuntu box with an i7 CPU and 6TB of storage. It serves up all our media - FLAC music and DVD rips. All high quality files.

We distribute video through either the native Plex app on LG TV's or using the Android/iOS app to a Chromecast.

For streaming music, I have moved to RasPlex which is a small linux distro that runs on the Raspberry Pi. We have two of these that just plug into existing music systems. Both have add-on boards from HifiBerry (DAC+ and Digi+) to bypass the sound system on the RPi. Excellent results. These run 'headless' and are controlled by the same Android/iOS apps. They show up on the list of Chromecasts. The Plex app is great on both Android and iOS.

I am interested to play with the integration of the HDHomerun. I missed this somehow.

One big feature I would love is if the Plex server could serve the same music content to multiple destinations in sync - giving me multi-room audio.

Thanks.

Last edited by jacrider; 2016-01-02 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Quick correction.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-01-03, 07:29 PM
Veteran

For multi-room audio, you might want to look at the Chromecast Audio. Google recently enabled that in a firmware update.
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrider View Post
I am a long time Plex user. Manages libraries well and it passes the ease of use test in that most in the family can stream content when they want.

We run the Plex Media server on a large Ubuntu box with an i7 CPU and 6TB of storage. It serves up all our media - FLAC music and DVD rips. All high quality files.

We distribute video through either the native Plex app on LG TV's or using the Android/iOS app to a Chromecast.

For streaming music, I have moved to RasPlex which is a small linux distro that runs on the Raspberry Pi. We have two of these that just plug into existing music systems. Both have add-on boards from HifiBerry (DAC+ and Digi+) to bypass the sound system on the RPi. Excellent results. These run 'headless' and are controlled by the same Android/iOS apps. They show up on the list of Chromecasts. The Plex app is great on both Android and iOS.

I am interested to play with the integration of the HDHomerun. I missed this somehow.

One big feature I would love is if the Plex server could serve the same music content to multiple destinations in sync - giving me multi-room audio.

Thanks.
I am using Logitech media server and PiCoreplayer on my raspberry pi with Hifiberry for music for the fact it can sync . It would be nice to have Plex players sync but until that time I have decided to run my music as a separate server.

Have you done a sound test for the difference between Picoreplayer and Rasplex? I might have to find some time to try and compare.

Hitachi 55HDT79, Yamaha RX-V540, Energy RC Mini's, and S8.3 sub, Roku 3, Plex , Couchpotato and Sickbeard Google TV GS8
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 02:03 PM
Rookie

I have a PLEX server setup and access using Roku 2 and 3. No complaints! Works without any issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.