Streaming OTA over the network - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Streaming OTA over the network

I'm looking at picking up a Hauppauge Wintv-Hvr-1250 and sticking it in my server on my home network so I can record stuff. The server is currently Windows 7 because of some other stuff running on it so I can't change the OS. I was wondering if it would be possible to stream live TV over the network. My second TV is an old analog tube tv so it doesn't have an ATSC tuner in it. I do however, have a WD Live TV media player hooked up to it so I can watch movies and stuff on a network share. I know I can stream movies and stuff from my server to the media player, but would it be possible to stream whatever channel the 1250 is set to? Does the card come with software to do that or do I need to download a third party application? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 11:22 AM

Checkout the HDHomeRun, might be an easier solution to what you're trying to achieve.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 03:55 PM

That homerun thing, from the looks of it, is similar to what I was thinking. It looks like it has a plugin for WMC for live streaming, etc.

I have looked into similar thing, using XMBC (with TV plugins), with the hauppage card you are looking at. Much the same idea.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 01:29 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Agreed that the HDHR is an easier method of doing what the OP wants. To answer his question, digital broadcasts transmit at about 19Mbps (or less), so with a 100Mbps connection, you could theoretically live stream about 5 separate broadcasts without any additional compression (4 is probably a better limit though as there would be no room for errors ). With a GB Ethernet connection, you could stream many more.

This is all assuming wired connections. Wireless connections can be much more problematic as you are more likely to get errors and data rates can drop significantly if conditions aren't ideal.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 01:23 PM

Or download NextPVR

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 01:51 PM
Veteran

I used to use Hauppuage tuners but after dealing with some driver issues on 64-bit operating systems that Hauppauge took forever to fix I switched to using HDHomeRuns.

I'm much happier with HDHomeRun device capabilities. Reliable drivers are just icing on the cake.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I ended up getting the HDHomeRun. It's a neat toy. I'm running NextPVR on my server as well. I also have a trial of Schedules Direct going on and I'll definitely be subscribing to that. The only thing left to figure out is how to stream live tv on my WD Live TV Plus, but from what I've been finding on google it might not be possible.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 04:15 PM
Veteran

^ That's the issue - the HDHomeRun seems great but I don't want a HTPC connected to my TV. I have other devices like ATVs and Rokus. So it's a matter of getting it from the network to the TV without WMC.

Maybe a problem that the Chromecast can handle in time......
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 04:55 PM
Veteran

In my experience, the best configuration for this is using Xbox as an extender. Reliability and user-friendliness that rivals Apple TV. Every other solution I've tried is a geek's exercise, unusable by the general public.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 11:05 PM

Sounds like a good use case for simple.tv, but not available yet in Canada. I assume our little Buffalo zipcode trick would work for it, but can't confirm.

-Pete
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 11:34 PM

You can run WMC on Win7 and use XBoxs as extenders as mentioned. You will need wired Ethernet (WiFi will have network issues).

Bill
My blog
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-05, 07:52 PM

Very soon if you have a Samsung Smart TV or BR you can use NextPVR.
The client app is being developed as we read.
No more client PCs or clunky boxes.
I'm actually planning a Boxing Day surgical strike on a shiny new display. My current display is a 8 yr old 27" JVC 85lb analog CRT.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-06, 12:09 AM
Veteran

It's funny that Samsung player and NextPVR are being mentioned together. I personally had a very bad experience with a Samsung BR player - by far the worst network playback device I've seen, and the worst software for recording OTA I've tried is NextPVR.
I can only imagine the synergy
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-06, 01:15 AM
Veteran

OTAJuncqui seems to post here (mostly) to promote NextPVR. It's great that he likes the software, but his view on the subject isn't exactly balanced. I find it particularly amusing to see that he figures that NPVR would replace the many benefits of a HDHomeRun when it comes to network streaming.

For example, NPVR is rather limited when it comes to cross-platform support, and a HDHomeRun is great in this department.

The next "generation 4" HDHomeRun product is supposed to do real-time MPEG2 => MPEG4 transcoding, which will be very nice if you want to watch live TV on mobile devices that have built-in MPEG4 decoding hardware.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-09-06, 08:56 AM

True I do like NPVR.
I also like Hauppauge tuners and have never had an issue with them or their drivers.
As far as HDHomeRun goes, I like the "One Box" HTPC server config. and by that I mean one large PC with all tuners internal that distributes all media across the LAN and processes recordings to remove commercials and reduce file size by 90%.
Of my 5 "extenders" 3 are PCs (2 of which are old P4s), a Gateway net book and of course my phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.