Google announces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI dongle - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #271 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-05, 10:09 AM

The problem with a BT-only implementation is it would tie the Chromecast to the phone or tablet. With wifi-only the phone or tablet does not have to be physically on or near the Chromecast once the stream is initiated. We have left the house with an NHL Live stream (via Rogers cell phone) running for the kids and then left the house to run errands.

A dual BT-wifi device would be more expensive. Maybe not that much but enough to put it in competition with other devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Even within your home, Bluetooth can be limited with range. I've had dinner parties before where I've had to leave my phone in one room because if I went upstairs, the sound on my Bluetooth speaker would get choppy.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #273 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 01:02 PM
Veteran

I'll concede those points but Chromecast has similar issues, like how do you control it if the phone gets out of range of the same wi-fi network. I did state that the direct streaming feature of Chromecast could be an advantage in some situations. It could be a disadvantage in others. For most people, a Bluetooth 3.0 or higher bluetooth dongle or built in speaker/amplifier bluetooth receiver will be just as good as a Chromecast Audio most of the time.

post #274 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is true for every app, but with some another device on the same WiFi network can control the playing content. So, for example, two otherwise unrelated devices can both play/pause/skip forward or back or see/change the upcoming playlist. Certainly, if you want to stop something, any device on the WiFi can grab control of the Chromecast, including laptops.

There are certainly advantages to Bluetooth though, starting with universal support from media sources.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #275 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 05:36 PM
Veteran

Sometimes control from other devices is built into the app. For example, I can control an active instance of Spotify from any device logged into the same Spotify account. I can also move playback from one device to another.
post #276 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-09, 01:57 PM

There is an option in Chromecast that allows or disallows control from other connected devices.

https://support.google.com/chromecas...06638?hl=en-CA
post #277 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-09, 03:27 PM
Veteran

I've run into a couple of annoying bugs in Chromecast with Netflix. I often pause playback part way through a show. The Chromecast device times out after a period of inactivity when playback is paused. The Chromecast then refuses to respond when subsequently attempting to resume casting from the same device. One way to recover is to turn the TV off and on, resetting the Chromecast. An associated bug is that the Chromecast then loses the place where it was paused, essentially going back to the start of the previous session. With series shows, that could mean not only losing the place in the current episode but being thrown back to a previous episode.
post #278 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 11:58 AM

Yes that has happened to us as well. I forget now exactly what we did but I think if you stop casting the control returns to the original device and the location is preserved. You then re-cast and all is well. However YMMV.
post #279 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 03:03 PM
Veteran

I find that the Google Home Mini has no problems finding and communicating with the Chromecast (compared to the Android phone that constantly losses it and fails to control it).

But like reported, the Chromecast doesn't seem to properly track where we are in Netflix TV series' or even which episode we're on. Numerous times it's replaying the episode we've already seen. For clarity though, this is not a problem with the Chromecast itself but likely the Netflix application on it (hence Netflix's issue). And we complicate the situation by switching between devices (i.e. Roku on another TV) while progressing through series'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.