Options For Recording Rogers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-12, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Options For Recording Rogers?

I had built a HTPC a long while back and used a Hauppauge WinTV MCE 500 card. This was connected to Rogers cable (no box) and worked ok for basic cable PVR. I am building a new system that will be a gaming system/music server/PVR/and store all my DVD's in digital format. I am ok with everything up to the PVR. We have a Rogers SA Explorer 4250 HD box I want to use with the HTPC and I need some help getting it set up. I have combed a lot of threads on this forum and only ended up more confused.
The HTPC will have an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 mainboard, AMD FX 8320 Black 3.5GHz CPU, 8 GB DDR3 1600, Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCIe 3.0 and a 3 or 4 TB hard drive dedicated to the PVR. I am running Windows 7 and will use Windows Media Center.
Here's what I need to know:
I tried the WinTV card in this system but the TV was choppy and pixelated. Is that a system issue or just that it's an analog tuner and Rogers is going digital?
If I need a new card - no problem - but which one? I would like to be able to record more than one channel at a time. Do I need 2 cards and 2 Rogers boxes or will a dual tuner card work? Do I need a different Rogers box? Do I need a third box to watch TV at the same time? I am not concerned about recording in HD format, but I hope to be able to record ALL the channels I receive including HD channels.
I have a Logitech Harmony 880 remote I would like to integrate into this. Is that possible? What sort of IR set up do I need? I have the old MCE puck IR receiver that I used on my old setup.
I am just outside of London Ontario. I HATE Rogers but we are pretty limited here. I am very open to suggestions.
As you can see I really am thoroughly confused. PLEASE help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 12:14 PM
Veteran

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
I tried the WinTV card in this system but the TV was choppy and pixelated. Is that a system issue or just that it's an analog tuner and Rogers is going digital?
It's difficult to say what the issue is without some troubleshooting. It could be a hardware issue (compatibility or defect), driver issue, recording software issue or playback software issue. The new hardware should have no problem recording and playing back SDTV but something in the process is not working correctly.

Quote:
If I need a new card - no problem - but which one? I would like to be able to record more than one channel at a time.
In this case, I'd recommend a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250. It has all the features required and more. It can be used to receive and record analog cable, the output from a cable box and even OTA digital TV. It also has hardware encoders for analog TV, which reduces CPU load. It's a little pricey but is probably the best PC tuner card available.

Quote:
I have a Logitech Harmony 880 remote I would like to integrate into this.
The retail version of the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 includes an IR remote and receiver that are Harmony compatible. An MCE receiver will also work with Harmony remotes, provided it is compatible with the operating system. Most MCE compatible remotes and receivers will also work.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The card should still work for analog basic if you plug it directly into the wall. Are you running Media Center or Win TV? Don't try to run both at the same time.
Quote:
If I need a new card - no problem - but which one? I would like to be able to record more than one channel at a time. Do I need 2 cards and 2 Rogers boxes or will a dual tuner card work? Do I need a different Rogers box? Do I need a third box to watch TV at the same time? I am not concerned about recording in HD format, but I hope to be able to record ALL the channels I receive including HD channels.
You will need 1 Rogers box and 1 tuner card for each digital channel you want to record. You can watch a program while it is recording, but you will need a 3rd box if you want to record 2 programs and watch a third program on Rogers digital. See FAQ - How to Connect a VCR, or DVD Recorder and STB.

I have the Hauppauge 2250 and it can record the following combos using Media Center.

If you still have analog basic, you can use a splitter and connect the coax cable to the PC and the Rogers box. Then you can record 2 analog channels or 1 analog channel and 1 digital channel (in SD). Media Center will automatically schedule the appropriate tuner and warn you of a conflict if you try to record 2 digital channels. If you're not recording a digital channel, you can use the digital box to watch a channel live on your TV.

If you can get OTA with an antenna, you can connect the coax cable to the antenna instead. The 2250 will record:
2 ATSC channels in HD or
1 ATSC channel and 1 Rogers digital channel from a Rogers box connected using composite cable.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 01:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Since the analogue channels are going away bit by bit and since you have an HDSTB, I would suggest that you consider recording HD. For this (HD), any of the tuner cards are not going to work since the STB must be used as the tuner. You will need a STB for each parallel recording and live viewing that you wish to do. You can make do with one STB if you watch only recorded content and are satisfied with one recording at a time, or watch live while not recording. (HD)

You will need one of the Hauppauge PVR options discussed in the following FAQ on Recording HD and discussed in detail in the links in that FAQ to this HTPC forum:

FAQ - Recording HD

These options are not as easy as an HDPVR from Rogers obviously. There is also the firewire option discussed in the FAQ, but I'm not sure how well that is working still - check out the linked thread in the FAQ.

For SD recordings, you may use the cards, however, you will still need a STB for each parallel digital recording/viewing that you wish to do.

Also, check out the following post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 07:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
You will need 1 Rogers box and 1 tuner card for each digital channel you want to record
Not exactly. The Hauppauge has the capability to record from two Rogers digital boxes simultaneously. It is supplied with an adapter for the second video and audio input. It also has the ability to switch between video and RF inputs so it can have up to four inputs, even though it can only use two at the same time. For example, it could be connected to two Rogers boxes, analog cable (one or two inputs) and/or an OTA antenna (one or two inputs.) It's quite a versatile little card. If we had clear QAM in Canada, it could handle up to two digital cable signals as well.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 08:42 PM

ExDilbert, you're right - I overlooked that scenario. The 2250 Media Center Kit comes with 2 IR blasters to handle that situation and an Auxiliary A/V panel to handle an extra set of composite video and RCA audio inputs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

WOW great information! Thanks you for your help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-01-19, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Does this still work?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-01-19, 02:54 PM

The techniques discussed in this thread still work, with the exception that analog channels have been phased out. You will need to record through a Rogers set top box and will only get SD, not HD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.