Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. The 8642 and 4642 are the only HD STBs currently available, the former being a PVR. There are other older models available from previous owners, etc.
2. My PVR goes into Powersave at 1:10AM every morning unless it's doing something else like recording, or me watching it, in which it might go into powersave at a later time. It only goes into powersave if it's not already turned off.
3. The STBs have 8 timers which can be set just like "scheduled recordings" on the PVR. The STB wakes up (if it's off) and switches to the channel desired, for the time desired, but obviously doesn't record since it's not a PVR, however, you can then record from it.
4. The "wake up" setting can be found under the "settings" press settings button twice it's under Timer: Wake Up. (Not sure if the new IPG is the same) This will wake up the PVR (or STB) at a predetermined time, however, you can't set it for say 1:20AM, I believe it must be set for sometime after say 5AM, which would preclude recordings between 1-5AM roughly. You may need to experiment since the PVR will go to sleep again if you set the wake up too early.
5. My recommendation is to have the PVR do it's own recordings and transfer them to an HTPC when desired. You could purchase/rent a STB for dedicated use for the HTPC as many do.