How to watch live TV on iPad/iPhone with a HDHomeRun Dual tuner? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-13, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

How to watch live TV on iPad/iPhone with a HDHomeRun Dual tuner?

hi, is there any way to watch live TV on iPad/iPhone with a HDHomeRun dual tuner? Elgato has an application for HDHomeRun prime only so it won't work in Canada.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-13, 11:12 AM
Member #1

Itunes Canada has an EYE TV app, will that not work for you?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-13, 12:48 PM

edit: eye tv should work fine

Last edited by Tikker; 2012-01-13 at 12:50 PM. Reason: was wrong ;)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-14, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks but I don't have a Mac
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 01:52 PM
Member #1

Hauppauge has WinTV Extend which lets you do it but you don't have an Hauppauge Tuner but you could look at Hauppauge's new Broadway device.

You can also look at Remote Potato where you can record a show and then start watching the Recording shortly after it begins recording so you have near real time playback.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Pretty good HowTo for the iPhone at the VLC wiki.

See the "restream a live video feed" example at the VideoLan website. Works great for
the PC based Satellite tuner here. Basically ya just have to change the input portion of the cmd line
to tune a signal rather than pull up a web stream as in the example, prior to transcoding,

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentati...for_the_iPhone

I use linux here with apache as the webserver, but no reason ya can't get apache running in a Windows
environment if that's what ur using.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 11:23 PM
Rookie

If you are on Windows, have you tried Orb?

It works with all Windows tuners - but HDHomeRun might be different because it's network connected.
I have orb working with my WinTV HVR 950.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 2012-01-19 at 10:19 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 01:30 PM

NextPVR has an intergrated web administrator (NEWA) that allows you to manage recordings and stream or download all of your content including live TV. All that is required on the remote PC/iPad is internet and VLC.
You simply point your browser to your IP address and enter password and voila!
However it appears that you must jailbreak the iPad to instal VLC as it is no longer offered as an app at the istore but is available from VLC.
But without VLC you can still manage recordings via iPad.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryJay View Post
If you are on Windows, have you tried Orb?

It works with all Windows tuners - but HDHomeRun might be different because it's network connected.
I have orb working with my WinTV HVR 950.
Thanks for the suggestion. Orb seems to be running very slow. The configuration process is too confusing, and often unable to start a streaming session - even if it's able to streaming, video might freeze for some reason. I am sure this is not my PC issue (quad core + 16GB memory)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-26, 11:32 PM
Veteran

the best option is the open source option.

a.) download, install, configure apache web server for windows (or linux if your a linux user)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/windows.html
All the documentation for installation, configuration of apache is there.
I'm sure there is plenty of "google help" out there as well.

b.) once you have a webserver running on ur windows box (or linux, doesn't matter),
read this and get familiar with tuning channels in vlc from the command line.

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentati...for_the_iPhone

c.) In the "Re-stream a live video feed: " example, simply replace vlc -I dummy
with the parameters to tune a TV station on ur HD Homerun, or any PC based tuner for that matter. The rest of that single command line will tell VLC how to do all the work of transcoding to h264, aspect ratio scaling, etc. suitable for playback on a target IOS device, and will create the html5 stream in the directory where you specify.

The webserver will do the work of serving html5 of your custom Streaming link to whoever wants to click ur link.

html5 contains built in player functions, so the IOS devices can play it in it's native web browser, when the user clicks on the link
without the need for any help from other applications. It typically runs about 30 seconds to a minute behind real time when your playing it in the browser.
It will play flawlessly over 3G as well assuming your IOS device is in decent coverage.

trust me I'm certainly no programmer. If I can set it up, anyone can. It's a free open source solution, and plays flawlessy over wifi, once you get it all setup. No hacking of the device, no installing cheezy apps from the itunes appstore, No signing up for web based services that promise the world in exchange for your next born.
Just a few clock cycles of your time to get it setup are required.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 12:12 AM
Rookie

Just want to share another app called Telly that does live TV streaming as well.
I just installed and configured it with Wintv950 tuner on Win7.
It's an extremely easy and smooth process. No command line to type and no webserver need to configure.
It's a transcoding solution similar to Orb/VLC so a server software is required.
The server software even supports gathering OTA EPG data which is a surprising feature.
All the available channels are automatically displayed with nice channel logo. (another nice feature).
On iPhone, you can change channel, change streaming resolution, or browser EPG.

Kudos to the developers for such a neat and useful app.

btw, it looks like the developers are from Toronto area. Here is a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me2tt...layer_embedded
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 11:20 AM

Getting back to NextPVR, it is a COMPLETE media center app with the added functionality of remote management of recordings and playback, download and streaming. The ONLY additional software required is VLC (for playing stream).
NextPVR uses less system resources than WMC and doesn't have the issues of not being within the boundaries of the US for EPG purposes.
(and NO agreement from you to your share data in exchange for EPG info)
And it does not save recordings in a propriatory format.
Unlike Media Portal it places only one shortcut on your desktop and all configuration is done from the "Settings" tab with a simple mouse right click at any time.
It's designed for use with Windows so there's no need to install or get familiar with linux.
It can be installed alongside WMC and running in less than an hour and if you have any problems you can get support responses in less than six hrs.

So, IMO having one application to handle all of my media center needs is "the best option" as opposed to having one app that needs a "hack" to use in my country plus additional 3rd party softwares to achieve the same goal.

Actually to be fair I do use some other small apps with NPVR:
Comskip- to enable play back of recordings sans commercials
MC2XML- as my EPG grabber
EventGhost- to remapped my Hauppauge remote that came with my 2250 card (not really needed but it controls other apps as well)
All of the above including NPVR are FREE.

And to get back to the OP, the target is an iPad which is not too warm to "open source" even to install VLC I believe you must jailbreak it.
One alternative is "AirVideo" which is approved but then your using another app outside of your media center but I don't think it can handle a live stream rather only video/music files(could be wrong though).

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 01:11 PM
Veteran

agree, if I had to choose an all around solution for windows, it would be Next PVR.
Used it for a long time prior to ditching the windows platform entirely here.

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost...&postcount=364

unfortunately, I don't think I can recall getting an i device to play remotely via NEWA as well as a straight html5 stream.
He just wants to Play live TV from his HD HomeRun on his iPhone. No mention of a PVR App.
Any solution, whether Next PVR, any other PVR like solution, or the "one liner
cmd line to VLC" as described, will take some clock cycles getting it setup.
If one wanted someone else to do it for them, or if they don't have the patience to learn a little bit along the way, then by all means go ahead and pay for someone else's closed source solution. Good luck with the after sales support though.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 09:41 PM
Rookie

I recently purchased a HDHomRun and tried to find an app to stream liveTV to my iPad without a PC or Mac as well...

and it looks like there are two such apps:

1. Elgato has a 'HDHomeRun' app but that's for US Cable model only and it's not even available on Canadian App Store

2. InstaTV. However, right now the stream-without-pc feature is still in beta testing and not available on AppStore yet. If you have a jailbroken device you can install and try it here:

http://appbeta.org

or see original post on SiliconDust for more information:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11847

It crashed a few times during my try but this app is indeed excellent and a must-have app for HDHR OTA users.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 12:43 PM
Rookie

Just a FYI for anyone interested in watching TV on iPad ... InstaTV Pro is available in the AppStore now..no need to jailbreak to install the beta version anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.