Western Digital WD TV Live 3rd gen (Streaming Media Player) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 12:16 AM

I have the Live Hub and the same thing happened to me with the firmware update as I lost some apps in the services menu. However I found all the
missing apps like Hulu Plus and Netflix in the dashboard menu and I can still
use them over there.

Hope this helps,

DAVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike4881 View Post
That can't be right. I'm with unblockus and I didn't get any American services added with this latest update.
Where is your box from?
From what I've read the new firmware knows where you bought your box and where you are located (assuming NO VPN). Bring a Canadian box to the USA and you still won't access US apps with this new firmware.
post #48 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 07:26 PM

Ah. That makes sense then. Even though I have a vpn, I still purchased a Canadian device so no US apps for me. Pity.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

post #49 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 02:10 AM

It's because Unblock-us isn't a VPN. I have a Canadian device with US apps, as I showed in my video that's been merged into this thread.

What matters is the IP address location when you update firmware (or Reset, according to a post somewhere - have not confirmed).
post #50 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

The OP had already updated his firmware from Canada. My responses are based on this. As of 1.07.15 the box knows where it is from and what apps should be on it.

Perhaps the OP can roll back? I haven't updated either of my boxes yet. I wonder if you will have to update via the USA each time in the future to keep the USA apps?
post #51 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 08:55 AM
Rookie

so if i update through a VPN ill be able to use huluplus?
post #52 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 01:03 PM

Doesnt work with UNBLOCKUS... Cuz i have it and the US services have been removed (im in Toronto) But luckily i had them saved in my favorites... so i still have the us services such as Netflix US, VUDU and Pandora, all which were removed from the latest firmware update.
post #53 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 01:06 PM

MP4 audio on WDTV LIVE 3rd GEN

When i try to play a file that's in MP4... i cant get sound (except for annoying scratching sound) when my box is attached thru optical. If i remove optical it works fine... DOes anyone know how to resolve this?
post #54 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 09:42 PM

meta files

so I scanned some of my shares for metadata, works okay on the WDTV but when viewing or transferring around files on the computers find metathumbs and xml files cluttering things up.

Know with the b-rads FW for the other WDTVs could dump the metadata in single folder, could I do the same with the SMP? If I scan the remainder of my drives, can I get the SMP to automatically place the metadata in a folder in the parent directory?
post #55 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 09:18 PM
Rookie

Getting live streaming channels

I just bought WD live tv streaming media player.But there are apps on main page.I want to add other website,apps,like hulu ,google,yahoo,to play movies and dramas,cricket soccer.Please help me to add these browsing functions.My WD box is currently connected via wireless wifi and i am able to watch movies from youtube and weather
post #56 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-04-08, 12:52 PM
Rookie

so what's the answer? sounds like its still a game of cat & mouse with some success for access to american webcasters (like hulu). makes me wonder if investment into WD Live product + VPN at $/month will work in the long run.

still.. i need something as solution to $200/month rogers bill!!!
post #57 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-04-08, 03:19 PM

I just bought one yesterday and have a few questions.

1. I added all of my networked shares via whs but on the home page it still shows as zero shares on the tab, does this only work local usb shares?

2. Is there a way to separate movies and tv shows into separate shares?

3. How do I get the dashboard to work? I have added a source and have the media library set to on but it still ask's to be set up?

4. Also the meta scraper doesn't work, is this only local share's again?

I haven't upgraded the firmware yet, will this fix these issues?
post #58 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-05-12, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Please answer my question.I have canadian wd streamin media player in Toronto.I updated and i donot see many apps.
If I Rset this box,and donot update to new software,will i get more american apps??
post #59 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-05-16, 03:21 PM

No.

The only way to get US services with this box is to purchase a US model.

Even then, if you use it from Canada the US services will not work unless you "cheat" by using a special DNS or VPN.

After firmware 1.05, the unit checks its location after a reset and hides the services it thinks you shouldn't get.
post #60 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-05-30, 08:48 PM
Rookie

connecting with my Laptop

I have WD streaming media player-Gen3 , connected via wifi high speed wireless internet.I want to connect wirelessly this WD SMP with my laptop .I am not a computer network expert.
Kindly help me with suggesting simple steps to connect and watch my Laptop stuff on TV via WD SMP ??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.