Western Digital WD TV Live 3rd gen (Streaming Media Player) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 10:29 AM

@das75:
"Ideally though would be nice that these features would be available with firmware upgrades on the previous generations."

Yeah, but WD needed new hardware (same as on the Live Hub) to add the various new features (like metadata scraping, for example).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 11:27 AM

member of this club now.

Biggest issue I have with my WDTV Live and the Live+ was searching for files since some were local (USB drive) others on different folders on the NAS. Tried b-rads firmware but never could sort out the mounts. With the 3rd gen have everything search-able from a single location, my Media Library.
post #33 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 01:23 PM
Veteran

I have had the WD Media Streamer for a day now and so far I don't really like it compared to ATV2.
1. I had to setup the wifi settings twice after I powered off and on the device, it never remembered the settings. I have powered it off and on a few times since then and the settings stayed, so hopefully I won't experience this issue again.
2. Slow to start up (compared to ATV2)
3. When I tried to start Netflix, the WD box rebooted itself and Netflix never loaded. I updated to the newest firmware and was able to start Netflix, but on the first time I started it, the box locked up. I had to unplug it. On the 2nd time I was able to setup Netflix
4. The ATV2 interface is much better than WD Live', IMO anyways
5. When I try to watch a video from my NAS, WD takes longer to play the video than watching the same video on my ATV2. Both hooked up through wifi.

Granted I only had a day to play with it, so maybe I will like it as I use it more often. Since this is for my kids, I do like the fact I can control what video folder, on my NAS, that they can watch movies from. So I can just create a kids video folder and only let them access that one. I also read, haven't tried it yet, that I can setup a password on the items in the services section. So that my kids will have to get an adult to enable those services. I will leave Netflix open, but if I can, I will shut down the rest of them.

post #34 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 01:31 PM
Member #1

Got this yesterday but I am having problem with .mp4 files stuttering? Is this a problem with larger files?
post #35 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 02:12 PM
Veteran

This could be because the files I where trying to stream where mp4 files and they where around 800mb to 1GB in size. They did start eventually, but it took a while. Also WD Live only saw a very smal percentage of all my video files and folders on my NAS. Out of 50 some folders, it saw two
post #36 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Hugh, I have read that this is a problem with some larger mp4 files. Rest your WD TV box after applying an update. This may help.
post #37 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 07:41 PM

Hugh are you streaming wired or wireless?
I am using wireless and current firmware going through the dlink 655 and have had no troubles as of yet and I did stream various HD files.
post #38 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 10:52 PM

Just tried a couple of mp4 movies (both ~2.6gb) for about 5 minutes each and played without problems. This is streaming from DNS323 NAS over wired network.
post #39 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 11:15 AM

Count me in as a new WD Live convert. Was using the PS3 for streaming but got tired of fighting with PS3 Media Server. Using a DAP-1522 bridge in combination with a DIR-655 for a "wired" connection.

Setup was easy and the only glitch I experienced was that Netflix didn't load the first time, it just stayed on the splash screen and never completed loading. Couldn't back out or cancel so had to reboot the box, but the next attempt was successful and it has worked great ever since (1.5 months). Incorporating it into my Harmony One setup was also easy.

I've thrown every type of file at it and it plays flawlessly. No stuttering, stammering, or freezing. Handles ISOs like a breeze. I also like the standby and how it is ready to go almost immediately. My only gripe is that once or twice the network share didn't appear until after a reboot, even though all systems were up and running. But that's probably more to do with either the router or the bridge.

I don't like the YouTube app. It always autoplays some crap I'm not interested in and the search is cumbersome. But the streaming is the main reason I bought it (Costco) and so far so good. Very pleased.
post #40 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 02:05 PM

Tom welcome back after a 3 year hiatus.

WD could really make this product shine if they offered something like iTunes and AirPlay. I agree the searching is painful. Especially audio (when it works).
post #41 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 02:54 PM

I too am a new WD live convert. I was using two PS3's to stream from my wired home network. After encountering a few 'issues' of late, I tried a WD box. I love this little box- the fact that it reads dvd images from my NAS is awesome, and every mkv file I have thrown at it has played flawlessly.

Now I have to add an extra cat5e drop upstairs so that my bluray player still has internet connectivity and the 2nd WD Box can go on the network!

Only down side is having to explain to my significant other why we need another 'black box' beside the tv!

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #42 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-02-29, 04:00 PM

Angry WDTV LIVE New Firmware 1.07.15

I just downloaded the new firmware... And boy.. .what a big mistake.
Prior to the new firmware release (1.07.15) I was able to access NETFLIX USA, PANDORA and VUDU on WDTV.. using a USA VPN...

With the new firmware, they have removed PANDORA and VUDU services... Has anyone else experienced this?

Luckily I have Pandora and VUDU saved as favorites so they are still there, but not in the main SERVICES menu... Why would they have removed them?
post #43 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

This new version uses geolocation services to enable apps via your location ( or in your case disable).
post #44 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 06:15 PM

Lightbulb Successfully got American apps on my Canadian WD TV Live

I read this on the Unblock-us site regarding a new geolocation check added to the newest firmware update for the Western Digital streaming media player (doesn't affect Canadians, but European importers are angry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos
used a simple proxy to see the address it calls for the geolocation (common log):

192.168.137.254 - - [02/Mar/2012:00:11:00 -0300] "POST http://www.wdtvlive.com/wdwssecondar...ocationbymodel HTTP/1.1" 200 349

As you can see it uses a standard HTTP POST command to get the geolocation, so it should be pretty easy to intercept it and return the proper information.
I still have a few days left on my $10 month of VPN access and hadn't updated my firmware yet. So I decided to see if updating my device while on a US IP would grant me Vudu, Hulu Plus, etc. Sure enough, it worked.

You may also be able to do this if you perform a Reset of the device rather than a firmware update.

The apps remain while on my Canadian IP, though I can't access the US-specific ones without the necessary location tricks. Of course, I will have to be on a VPN the next time I update the firmware or I will be back to the Canadian lineup.

I got a $5.99 credit for adding this device to my Vudu account. It works using Overplay's Smart DNS, but not via Unblock-us. Don't know about Unotelly. No idea about Hulu Plus as I haven't found anything worth subscribing for.
post #45 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodaddy View Post
This new version uses geolocation services to enable apps via your location ( or in your case disable).
That can't be right. I'm with unblockus and I didn't get any American services added with this latest update.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.