Western Digital WD TV Live 3rd gen (Streaming Media Player) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-21, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbcman View Post
This is the forum for...
Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player
Not the Streaming Player or Live Plus.... right?
Yes, it's for the new "streaming player" which is also called WD TV Live (same name as the one I bought a couple of years ago).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-23, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucrob View Post
Hi,

I just picked one of these up at costco for $94. Cannot open until xmas tho!

I think I am reading the info correctly that with the 3rd. gen box and a non canadian VPN I should be able to access netflix and Hulu on this equipment. Can anyone confirm this for me.

Nice deal at Costco BTW if true. Also comes with HDMI cable.
How would you connect this to a VPN? Through your router?

Thanks,
Congo

Panny TC-P60GT50, Bell 9242, Yamaha RX-V730, Paradigm Cinema 70, Harmony One, HTPC
post #18 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 05:56 PM

@congo:

The VPN services (I use Witopia) are set up through a Web interface. Witopia adds a new connection to Windows Network Connections. I'm not sure how it would work on Mac or Linux...

There is a LONG discussion of VPNs here:
VPN services to allow Canadians to access sites like Hulu

post #19 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 10:01 PM
Rookie

picked up one of these on boxing day. everything is working great except for when using this device the hdmi seems to cut out or the tv is adjusting the refresh rate (i think). the tv is a sharp lc-46d85u and the screen goes blank, audio cuts out, and the box in the top right corner pops up with the input name and shows 1080p.

i have tried different inputs on the tv and two different hdmi cables. i have no idea what is causing this. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
post #20 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Have you upgraded the firmware? If so, did you do a factory reset also? Does your HDMI feed directly into a TV or Receiver?
No problems with HDMI here.

Last edited by Jake; 2011-12-29 at 11:39 AM. Reason: quote not necessary
post #21 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Have you upgraded the firmware? If so, did you do a factory reset also? Does your HDMI feed directly into a TV or Receiver?
No problems with HDMI here.
the first thing i did when i hooked it up was a firmware upgrade to the latest one. never did a factory reset. the unit is hooked up directly to my tv
post #22 of 132 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Try a reset.
post #23 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 02:36 PM

Can anyone confirm how this newer model (WDTV-live SMP with wifi) picks up the online services?

I just bought one in Canada and even with newest firmware andthe DNS trick, it doesn't show any of the US services (Hulu, Vudu, Blockbuster, CinemaNow etc). These do work on my Blu-ray player though.

Is the unit somehow hardware locked to the country it was purchased?

I still have a few days to return it but if someone can confirm that the CDN model is capable of displaying the US services, I'll probably keep it.

I've waded through the AVS and WD forums a bit and just conflicting info so far.

Thanks
post #24 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaley View Post
picked up one of these on boxing day. everything is working great except for when using this device the hdmi seems to cut out or the tv is adjusting the refresh rate (i think). the tv is a sharp lc-46d85u and the screen goes blank, audio cuts out, and the box in the top right corner pops up with the input name and shows 1080p.

i have tried different inputs on the tv and two different hdmi cables. i have no idea what is causing this. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I bought another one for a TV without a receiver. Hooked it up with just the HDMI and there were no problems. (I did not upgrade the firmware on this box)
post #25 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 01:22 PM
Rookie

i ended up plugging the unit into another outlet (i guess resetting the unit while doing this) and have watched a couple of episodes with no problems. hopefully this weekend i will get to stream some shows and see what happens.
post #26 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vango44 View Post
Can anyone confirm how this newer model (WDTV-live SMP with wifi) picks up the online services?

I just bought one in Canada and even with newest firmware andthe DNS trick, it doesn't show any of the US services (Hulu, Vudu, Blockbuster, CinemaNow etc). These do work on my Blu-ray player though.

Is the unit somehow hardware locked to the country it was purchased?

I still have a few days to return it but if someone can confirm that the CDN model is capable of displaying the US services, I'll probably keep it.

I've waded through the AVS and WD forums a bit and just conflicting info so far.

Thanks
I'm going to return this today since I stiil can't find the answer to my question above.

I got a couple of responses from WD support but they were the usual links to FAQ that don't answer the question.

But if anyone else with the cdn unit gets it to work with US services I'd still like to hear about it.
post #27 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 01:26 PM
Rookie

saw a post on the wd boards saying that the usa model is -hesn whereas the canadian model is -vesn. could that be why we cannot get hulu etc. to work on this device. thinking of returning it and ordering one from the usa.
post #28 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 09:45 AM

3rd gen users, can you tell me with the new unit can you adjust out of synch audio and what about displaying files from multiple sources (if you have files local, on a NAS and other PCs are all files displayed together or still need to search each device separately)?
post #29 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 09:27 PM

Yes!

@das75:

Yes, you can adjust the "Lip Sync" of a playing video.

And yes, the "Media Library" displays all the files from the sources you have configured.
post #30 of 132 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 10:39 PM

thanks jschall.

Ideally though would be nice that these features would be available with firmware upgrades on the previous generations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.