WMC Scanning and Transition issues in GTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

WMC Scanning and Transition issues in GTA

Ok, this is odd... but is anyone else not able to tune into RF41 (Global Toronto) in Windows Media Center?

My HDHomeRun picks it up (100% signal, 98% quality and 100% symbol), and my Panasonic and LG TVs pick it up, but it doesn't work in WMC. I tried manually adding the channel (41.1 on RF41), it says 100% signal, but doesn't show a picture, just a blue screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Can you watch it using HDHR Config + QuickTV (or VLC, etc)?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 09:24 PM

Hi DavidT....

We're investigating that. Most WMC users are having trouble with our Global signals. We may be close to getting it working.

Cheers!

Dan (with Global)
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

@recneps77: Yep, works when I preview it in WMP and VLC, just not in WMC.

@Dan: Thanks for tuning in! :P Glad to hear you're working on it! Keep us updated please, and thanks for checking in with the community.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 10:16 PM
Rookie

I'm using a HDHomerun tuner and Silicondust verified that VLC works but WMC does not because of a bug -- that it does not like the configuration used in the Global signal. They are going to contact Global, but it seems Global already knows this from navwizard's post. Hope you get it working soon!

On another topic -- am I correct to assume that Global Ch 44 in Toronto will move to Ch 51 after Aug 31?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-26, 10:41 PM
Rookie

Exclamation WMC Problems WIth CIII-DT-41 Toronto

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has had trouble getting Windows Media Center (Windows 7) to tune to CIII-DT-41. Running TSReader on my PC, I can tune to 41.1 and decode the signal no problem, it is just Media Center that is giving me trouble. I have manually removed the old RF65 entry that I previously had in WMC for Global and manually added an RF41 DTV channel for 41.1, but WMC still won't display the channel properly. For reference, I am using a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950Q USB tuner.

It's not a lack of signal issue; I can pick up Global with plenty of signal on 41.1 on my LG TV. From the "signal meter" on my set it is showing 74-76% signal strength and 100% signal quality, which is comparable to CBLT and TVO for me. All of the other Toronto stations work fine for me in WMC.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Before 41.1 was active on RF41, I had Global DTV on RF65 working in Media Center (when I was able to pull in enough signal)
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-26, 11:40 PM
Rookie

Hey Strackj I'm with you. My SNR is 30 for RF 41 but my Hauppauge 2250 has no sound or picture on Vista MC. I thought it was tuner overload but my LG shows 78% signal and 100% quality. I'm still not ruling out overload so I'm going to try using a splitter to reduce the signal 3 db and see if that helps. I had RF 65 working well to. I'll try this in the morning and let you know.

<Edit> After reading the whole thread I see that this is being worked on this weekend. Crossing my fingers it works! Txs navwizard.

Last edited by InTheAir; 2011-08-27 at 09:30 AM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 10:52 AM

WMC's channels seems to be based upon a downloaded database. To fix it you need to scan for new channels then edit the channel information to get it to find the new listings. Note that I'm using the US as a location and using the zip code for a city across the lake. I used Google Earth to work it out. 14174 should work for the Toronto area.

The signal monitor for WinTV will work for WMC as well so you can use it to check your signal strength. It's more accurate than WMC's signal strength indicators.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey strack, this issue is already being discussed here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144322

It's a problem with Global's PSIP data (discussed in depth here: Global's Transition PSIP Issues Explained - see Post #24). They're working on fixing it
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Good call on the WinTV signal meter, didn't know that worked with other applications.

Good to know it is not just me having the problem. I read through the other posts in this subforum as well (didn't see them before). It's great to have people "on the inside" also posting on these forums. Thanks!
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 02:10 PM

Since there seems to be a few people having trouble I thought I'd give detailed instructions.

Open WMC

If you already have it setup there's no need to setup the signal, however you may want to.

Go to Settings, TV, TV Signal, Scan for More Channels and do a scan

When the scan is finished, click Next at the bottom of the page. Click Finish.

Now go back to the TV settings page (click the arrow at the top left corner) and select Guide.

Go to Edit Channels.

Find where it lists 41.1 and click on it the description beside it (it's likely to be scrolling).

This should bring up a page with the title, "Settings For 41.1 CIIIDT". Select Edit Sources.

You will now probably see two different sources. If you highlight one the bottom of the page will display the Channel number. Make sure the one that is checked is the one for 41.1.

Save and exit (back out to using the top left arrow) until you get to the Guide menu in Settings. Now Get Latest Guide Listings. This step isn't always necessary but if you've edited the stations they may not show up until the guide is updated.

Now WMC should be finding 41.1 at 41-1.

Note that you can edit the guide to fit your area. I noticed that TVO wasn't listing the digital listings even though it listed the analogue ones so I set WMC to copy the listings. You can modify the guide somewhat so you don't have to rely upon the default.

TitanTV is also a good source for TV listings. It's possible to set it up to work with WinTV.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-09-02, 01:52 AM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Arrow WMC OTA Tuning Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankman View Post
I have been receiving CFTO (CTV) digital but it was gone since two days ago. All other channels are fine. I have a home made antenna facing south from 2nd floor of a house. Can anyone help? Thanks.
You need to use the full rescan function on your TV for those new/relocated digital channels.

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-09-02, 01:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota_canuck View Post
You need to use the full rescan function on your TV for those new/relocated digital channels.
Yes, I did a full rescan with Windows Media Center. I got 20 channels, including CityTV. I have also tried to add 40.1 manually which used to work a few days ago, but now, it doesn't work. Any clue?
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-09-02, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I am not getting any City TV , Omni 1 & Omni 2
I have the same problem, but I think it's because they don't have transmitters down here.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 2011-09-02, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankman
Yes, I did a full rescan with Windows Media Center. I got 20 channels, including CityTV. I have also tried to add 40.1 manually which used to work a few days ago, but now, it doesn't work. Any clue?
Windows Media Center has been wacky for me ever since the transitions started to happen. I think the problem is that when you first program it, you have to enter your zip code and it reads from the Zap2it database. I don't think they've updated for the RF frequency changes. Ever since CHCH changed frequencies, I hadn't been able to get it on my Windows Media Center (but did on my Vizio TV), even if I tried to "fool" WMC with a closer zip code either in Canada or the US. I'm assuming it's the same issue for CFTO, but I haven't tried it yet to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.