Native Hulu+, Netflix box and DNLA support - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Native Hulu+, Netflix box and DNLA support

I am looking for a box that has built in NATIVE Netflix and Hulu+ support, as well as traditional DLNA support (for connecting to PlayOn!)

I can find boxes with Netflix, or boxes with Netflix AND Hulu+ or boxes with DLNA streaming, but not all three (unless i go with a ps3 and my wife hates the folders)..

Roku seems to fit the requirements, but not available in Canada...

Would the WDTV or the Boxee box do all these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 01:01 PM

WDTV & Boxee don't have access to Hulu+ yet. I'm guessing you're using a VPN service for Hulu+ as it's not available in Canada?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Correct on the VPN solution --

So i suppose i will have to pick up a Roku -- was hoping a ATV 2 would do the trick though
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 01:26 PM

I would put an ATV 2 at the bottom of the list, I would pick a Roku, WDTV, Boxee over it anyday.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 01:52 PM
Veteran

While I haven't used one myself I've heard plenty of good things about Roku products, especially when compared to an Apple TV.

Looking over their product list their "XS" model @ $99 looks very appealing to me, but that is because I've been around long enough to know that streaming video is best done via a wired Ethernet connection.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
While I haven't used one myself I've heard plenty of good things about Roku products, especially when compared to an Apple TV.
H'mmmm, as an owner of both I have to completely disagree (and I'm generally not an Apple fan-boy). But I should clarify: in the context of primarily being a Netflix device. I've gone over it in more detail in other threads but basically ATV is smaller, lighter, thermally cooler, much faster, better UI, better Netflix app, better at YouTube, better for streaming from your computer/personal device, and the best part of all: the remote learning ability. Obviously though no Hulu or DNLA which is the subject of this thread after all. Just my 2 cents....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 10:23 AM
Veteran

In a thread on the Roku2 someone said that Roku will ship to Canada so that is an option - and since you are using VPN you don't care if it supports Netflix Canada.

Another option, although more expensive and louder, is a PC running Windows Media Center.

Your PS3 has the advantage of providing better audio quality - isn't the PS3 the only Netflix client with surround sound support?

If you Jailbreak an ATV you can install XBMC on it and this could be a good collection for your local media, although I am not sure that it plays back MPEG-2 files.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Your PS3 has the advantage of providing better audio quality - isn't the PS3 the only Netflix client with surround sound support?
I don't believe so, no. I'd have to double check (since I don't typically use my XBOX 360 for this) but I remember getting 5.1 Netflix from my XBOX 360 earlier this year when I was using XBOX 360s as WMC extenders.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 03:09 PM

Check out the thread on the LG Smart Tv Upgrader here. It does all the things your are asking and its readily available at Futureshop and Best Buy for $99. I just set mine up yesterday and can confirm Netflix/Hulu+/Amazon VOD/ Pandora/DLNA all work.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

i looked at one of the SmartTV Upgraders but there was no mention of Hulu+ and none of the online reviews mention it..

Thanks! i will pop into FS tommorow and check one out.. ! This may just be the solution i need epecially at $99

Any chance to get a peek at the Hulu+ interface? like i said this is for the wife -- if she dont like it, i am stuck with a $80 cable bill
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 09:04 AM
Veteran

HTPC does not mean big and loud. You can get SFF PCs which are small and quiet.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

How are you getting Hulu+ on this box? using the web browser or an App? i dont see a Hulu+ app listed.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 03:23 PM

Hulu+ is an app. You might have to add it from the app menu to be one of the 5 favourites. It definitely shows on mine.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-07-31, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

i need the latest firmware update apparently. Except that i am getting "update is failed" error messages. wired, wireless, vpn, no vpn. it just sits for 5 minutes to two hours then fails.

Going to call on Monday to see if they have a PC downloadable version of the firmware (the last one on the site is two weeks old but a different number)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Finally got this thing working, and it passed the WAF.

So long Cable!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.