Boxee/XBMC/ATV Flash on ATV v1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-19, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Boxee/XBMC/ATV Flash on ATV v1

I am thinking of jailbreaking my ATV 1 I have at the cabin. We don't have TV there, just interwebs.

When I look at the programming, I see lots of network stuff, but I am wondering about live sports, such as would be found on TSN, CBC, CTV and Sportsnet. So far, I have been unable to access this type of content via Boxee on my laptop.

Am I missing something simple?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-19, 05:46 PM

live sports is pretty much the only reason to pay for tv these days

you can look at stuff like justin.tv though, and others of it's ilk, but other than that (afaik) you're stuck paying for it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-20, 09:06 AM
Veteran

You likely want a Slingbox or similar device at your home where you do have regular pay TV and Internet.

I am not sure of getting it on your cabin TV though.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

I do have Slingbox, but my upstream speed on home ADSL is maxed at about 800 kbps, which makes for shakey playback.

Functional if you can tolerate the delays and low resolution.

I wish we'd get the 20-30Mb/s speeds I have seen from some US internet providers. We really get bent over up here on the value equation.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 10:29 AM
Veteran

Some of the sports can be accessed via streaming on the TV networks' web page. But I agree that a Slingbox or other similar service is the way to go.

Don't some of Shaw's new internet services go up to about 5 Mbps upload speed? Can you upgrade your service or change ISPs?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Wayne, I just noticed Shaw's new offerings. I am thinking very hard about upgrading to a 5MBPS upload program. On Telus right now, but even their new programs, in comparison to Shaw, are overpriced and under-speeded.

I'll keep Telus at the cabin, but this should allow me to upgrade to the Slingbox HD and get solid performance.

Now, if I can just figure out how to hack an ATV1 to run Slingbox software, the world would be ducky.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Results....

Hacked the ATV v1 with Boxee a few weeks ago. Display is a 42" Panny plasma, 1080P.

Bottom line: almost unwatchable. Did it so my visiting MIL can watch her Y&R. Interweb connection is Telus ADSL, standard config, 5-7MBPS download,IIRC.

Playback is very choppy and audio/video frequently disconnected. tried many shows, all Canadian feeds (Global, CTV, etc)

Olympic sports playback via Silverlight technology was significantly better. Overall a disappointment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.