SageTV purchased by Google - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-18, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Location: Windsor, Ontario... Samsung LNT4053, PS3 Slim 120GB, Mac Mini HTPC
SageTV purchased by Google

According to SageTV's twitter account and homepage SageTV has been purchased by Google. This could be a huge step in GoogleTV becoming more of a standard in HTPC in the future.

http://sagetv.com/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-18, 11:13 PM
Veteran

I hope it doesn't turn out like when Yahoo bought Meedio. That was a big fiasco that went nowhere and flopped. Then again it's Google.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-18, 11:36 PM

Yikes. I've put my eggs into the SageTV basket so hopefully this turns out alright, but I'm not encouraged by the fact that the store has already been taken down.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 12:08 PM

Holy cow

Didn't see that coming. I've tinkered with sage over the years, but never really was committed to it. Never felt the polish level was there

Curious to see what happens now
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 12:41 PM
Veteran

I haven't spent a lot of money on SageTV products (I purchased the SageTV "Media Center" software and two client licenses), but I'm concerned that there is no statement to customers to reassure us about our existing installs.

It could turn out that my transition from Windows 7 Media Center to SageTV will be short lived.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 12:55 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

SageTV is already a great product so with Google's work to polish it and expand it (I'm already thinking seamless YouTube, Picasa, and Google Voice integration) this will be quite an option for HTPCers. Given Microsoft's famous disregard for Canadian users of MCE regarding OTA this might goad the Windows team into actually caring. If it doesn't, SageTV will be the HTPC product of choice.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Taking the web site down is a strange action for a company that wants to continue a product. I hope Google continues to develop SageTV. OTOH, Google may see SageTV as a low profit product with good technology. Google can afford to simply gut Sage of its technology and kill the SageTV product in order to improve it's own position in that marketplace. I've seen similar things happen several times, including companies I've worked at.

It's no secret that big business, studios especially, want PVRs killed off so they can make more money on renting or streaming video. Companies like SageTV are an easy target for takeover in order to help achieve that goal.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
Taking the web site down is a strange action for a company that wants to continue a product.
They haven't taken down the web site... They stopped selling their current product, which makes sense until it gets re-branded or the plans become clearer...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 05:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
They haven't taken down the web site... They stopped selling their current product
They did more than that. They stopped all support and removed all information about their products (even the extenders). In fact, they removed everything from their site. I'm surprised the forums are still up, but I somehow don't like that's going to last long.

Current beta version of SageTV recently entered RC status and it looks like it may never be released.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 11:14 PM
Veteran

IMHO this is devastatingly bad news and is likely to turn out the same as Meedio. I have invested over $1000 in SageTV with 6 extenders plus two server licenses and my current Sage system is AWESOME and is the culmination of many false starts (TiVo, XP MCE, Win7 MCE, BeyondTV)

I really don't understand why Google would buy Sage as the things that Sage does well, don't really fit in Google. Sage didn't have a great UI (at least not until V7) but it was great and doing what customers wanted and providing an excellent client-server architecture that worked well if you wanted a centralized system that could deliver to many TVs.

Sage had no DRM on its recordings and was very good at being on the bleeding edge of adopting hardware like the HD-PVR, a device which the industry can't be too happy about as it exploits the analog hole for HD capture.

Sage was also very good at making their product customizable and extendable with plugins. The PC based PVR is really a niche product for geeks and is unlikely to see mass adoption - therefore why is Google interested. Even Microsoft appears to be abandoning this space as they seem to be pulling back from MCE more and more.

Many of the things that Sage allowed you to do were not illegal but they were certainly not things that Hollywood was happy about and that is one of the reasons why Sage was better than MS' MCE - it didn't pose lots of restrictions on you.

The other strange thing is that recording TV is likely yesterday's technology as streaming is likely the way of the future.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 11:22 PM

I too use SageTV but never upgraded from version 6. Just great software, I hope Google keeps it going.

Bill
My blog
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 11:27 PM
Veteran

I fail to see how this acquisition makes sense for Google.

The key distinguising factors for Sage were:
A proper client-server architecture.
Real-time support for new hardware like HD-PVR.
Platform independent (Win, Linux, Mac).
Good hardware extenders.
No DRM
Extensibility of UI and functionality with plugins.

I don't see how these are that important for Google and why they couldn't have developed something from scratch very quickly with the resources they could throw at this.

It really remionds me of (1) Meedio and (2) WebGuide (you former MCE users will remember this)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 11:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I fail to see how this acquisition makes sense for Google.
Easier to reach the top if you kill the competition on its way for bigger things.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 11:31 PM

Just thinking that SageTV on the GoogleTV box with an HD Homerun & NAS would be very interesting...

Bill
My blog
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 12:28 AM

the death of webguide sucked for true

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.