Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

hauppauges pvr with bell fibe tv

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
hello, i would like to know if the hauppauges pvr will work with the bell fibe tv pvr

#2 ·
It'll work with any STB that has component video outputs and appropriate audio outputs to go to the Hauppauge. Note that with some STBs, you cannot have HDMI and component video outputs active at the same time. Suggest you review earlier posts in the Hauppauge thread since I'm sure this has already been discussed.

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#8 ·
Why would you run a pvr into a software pvr?

doesn't make a lot of sense
It does if you want to:
  • Permanently archive the program(s)
  • Burn to BluRay or DVD
  • Transfer to a laptop
  • Re-encode and move to a mobile device like an iPhone, iPad, other smartphone
  • Edit the video content and include in other files
  • Play on other TVs in your house with media extenders/Xbox/PS3/Wii
I use a PC based PVR to give me the flexibility to do all of the above and the HD-PVR is pretty much the only way to do this with HD content.

#5 ·
i'm not tech savy, so my thinking is to be able to archive (have a permanent record of) what you record from your television feed. my understanding is that you cannot pull recorded content off a rogers or bell pvr. is this correct, or am i missing something.

#6 ·
The signal on the HDMI cable would be encrypted and that goes the same for the stuff on a provider PVR's hard drive or expansion hard drive. You should be able to record with the HD PVR off the Analogue component cables. IIRC the broadcaster can send a signal down to block the Analogue ports if they so choose. This typically does not happen however.

#7 ·
All HD STBs that I've seen have component video outputs. I assume that it'll also have optical and/or analogue audio for the Hauppauge.

You are correct that the files on the HDD of the service provider PVRs are encrypted, therefore the only way to "offload" is live via the Hauppauge. Here's the FAQ on Recording HD (which was included in the useful link I provided earlier)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

i'm not tech savy,
This is an important statement since pulling together and operating an HTPC is not for the non-tech-savy. Check out the posts earlier in the Hauppauge thread to see if you feel comfortable with not only the hardware, but also the software, etc.

#13 ·
MCE is Windows Media Center.

You can receive a signal in various ways without a box including over the air, analog cable, digital QAM cable. The easiest way to record HDTV signals on a PC is via OTA but not all Canadians are in areas to have this and OTA does not give you cable only channels like TSN.

#14 ·
basically instead of your PVR, you'd just use a normal STB, input it into the pc via the HD-PVR and just watch tv thru the HTPC full time

(could be Sage like Wayne, or Media Portal, Myth, etc etc. tons of software pvr's out there)

I was just confuzzled by pvr'ing a pvr

#15 ·
Folks stay on topic. Future posts not directly addressing the subject at hand will be removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.